Sum Cup Draw

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by thetank123, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Napoli 10

Napoli 10 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS soccer.com thought it was a big enough tournament that they have video of the "draw" on MLS soccer.com. Who cares about the draw? give me some highlights! Video of the draw but no rosters?

There should be more coverage of events like this. I would love to see and hear more about the future Hamid's, Najar's, Agudelo's, etc. Just scanning through the lineups there are some big time prospects in Houston. Why spend $$ they are spending to send all these MLS youth teams to Houston during all star weekend and not really cover it?

I think there are too many people that do not realize how important these academies are for the development of MLS/USMNT.

2. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Can't say it better than this. Every club is writing a game report. So there is mandate out there. Execution is once again a problem. Long term health of this league is not DP's. It's the Najars and Bowens

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They previewed every group online.

The ran box scores and wrap ups from every game online.

They have a photo gallery from Day 1 online.

I don't see how anyone can realistically expect more. The results package was posted about an hour after the games ended. They had links in the previews to the SUM Cup home page telling people where to check back for results.

It's not a secret. It just isn't a priority at a time when the senior teams still have matches and there is a n All-Star Game coming up. They covered it. Just not as much as you (and a small select group) wanted. That doesn't mean they haven't covered it.

4. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Ok monster everything is fine nothing to see here. MLS is fantastic!

5. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

i think the point is how much harder would it have been to organize all of that stuff into a nice sub page (including history and ex players and such) not much different than what they have now but perhaps a bit better and then PUT A TAB LINKING TO IT UNDER THE ALL STAR SECTION? i mean it is supposedly a part of all star week n'est pas? why bury it under the Houston Dynamo's website? you know the tabs could be News, AS Roster, MU Roster, Calendar, SUM U17 Cup, City Guide, MU Tour? how hard is that? and maybe you could even put the Day 1 recap article (a nice piece btw) on the mlssoccer.com front page news between the Man City v Sporting recap (which of those is an MLS team again?) and the "some random El Salvadorian guy on trial with Chicago Fire ... AGAIN article?

but why would they want to do that and make it all easy to find and to promote the next generation of MLS players to all of the MLS fans (or at least those who suffer thru the mlssoccer.com website)? total lunacy i say!

6. Napoli 10

Napoli 10 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all of us have your "Minor League" mentality. MLS soccer.com is minor league. When it disappoints we call them out for it and they listen.

Ok so I just went to MLS soccer.com, how am I supposed to find any info on the SUM Cup?

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I say that?

No. I merely pointed out the coverage. What's missing besides live updates? That - in my opinion - is way too much to ask for. YMMV, but the protestations of not covering it are horrifically off base.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I have a minor league mentality? Huh, I thought it was realistic. Either way, this is a minor event so whatever.

b. Yeah, it would be nice if it were on the home page, but it isn't. So you can either whine and throw a temper tantrum or you can do what I did, jackhole, and search for the information then share it with ungrateful and sniveling morons.

Here's the home page - http://www.houstondynamo.com/SUMCup
    Here's the Day 1 roundup - http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2010/07/sum-u-17-cup-day-1-recap
    Here's the MLS INside take on Day 1 - http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=3146

I also suggest following the Dynamo and probably some of the other teams on Twitter. That's how I got my information. Or you can pound your fists on the ground and insult people who find information and pass it on. Whatever floats your boat.

9. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Touchy. Are you whining about our whining?

Me think you take yourself too seriously

10. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Credit to MLS for getting the info online.

Excuse me for being not terribly optimistic that this would get done given the history of mlssoccer.com

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm bitching about your whining. Get it straight.

Seriously is one thing I certainly do not take myself. I merely believe in perspective and the appreciation of the delivery of information. It's been lacking here.

Would have been nice to have a front page link for this. They didn't do it. Just like they haven;t in other years. It's a minor event, always has been a minor event and is being treated as such. The scores are available with a little digging. Like how DC is up 1-0 on Colorado in their match tonight. I recommend following this dude ... or you can sit and wait for someone to provide the information.

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    So, the standings are updated.

Apparently FC Dallas isn't running wild over their group. They are actually sitting on one shootout loss and one loss. Columbus and Seattle are tied at the top of the group, both having a shootout win and a win.

13. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Yeah the FCD lineup isn't close to their strongest U17 team they could throw out there. They're decimated by youth national team callups and then the previous week where some of their U17s were at USSDA Finals Week. Any FCD U17 team without Jonathan Top playing can't be taken too seriously. Emo Hyndman getting a start in the midfield is awesome though.

The fact that Columbus and Seattle both aren't in the USSDA makes it tough to know if they're bringing in a lot of guest players either.

14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    on what planet or parallel universe does the columbus crew not have teams in the USSFDAL?

http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/17276140/17297140-17276233/TEAM.html

http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/17276140/17297530-17276234/TEAM.html

and the Sounders will have teams in the USSFDAL next year too as they took over the team formerly known as Washington Premier and many/most of those players will make up their 2010-2011 USSFDAL teams.

http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/17276140/17297171-17276233/TEAM.html

http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/17276140/17297564-17276234/TEAM.html

15. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Well when the Columbus Crew U19 Academy was on FSC yesterday playing in the US Youth Soccer national championships you can see how I'd make that mistake.

I know that....They're taking over next year so technically they have no official teams right now which makes you wonder where the players come from. Same goes with Philly...

16. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

that was Crew Juniors. the level below the Crew Academy teams.

http://www.thecrewyouth.com/

i assume basically the players not good enough to be on the academy teams. it seems as if Crew Junior is PtP while the academy is completely free. so probably the CA is the top prospects with hopes of making the professional team and the other is a money making exercise to trade on the Crew brand to make money from parents who want their kids to get college scholarships. not an entirely bad idea actually as long as their best kids are getting into the crew academy and hopefully the best of them into MLS.

and the players for the Sounders Academy come from the club they took over, Washington Premier. they also got some from Crossfire Premier another top club in Seattle, as is the case with most MLS academies they raid the other established clubs for the top prospects. if you look at the rosters i posted and the recaps of the Sum Cup games you will see half of the roster at the Sum Cup comes from the Wash Premier USSFDAL teams that played this last season. taking over the club meant their spot in the USSFDAL and their best players. what would be the point otherwise?

17. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    E for effort, MLS. Who can claim to be expert on MLS academy teams? Chicago Fire Juniors just won the U15/16 USSDA championship. They should be the favorites.

18. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's interesting to see this "development pyramid" (at least in the case of the Fire) come to fruition. Kellen Gulley, the player that scored the winning goal for the Fire Academy against the Earthquakes the other day, was actually not from the Chicago area/our academy. He's actually from one of our satellite Chicago Fire Juniors programs and the coaches down there thought so much of him and that he got referred to the main brass up here I'm guessing. Since then he's gotten a few call ups for the US U-teams (not sure what age range) and has seen some good success. I'm glad this is all really starting to work out.

Also, I thought it was interesting to see that the teams (again, in the case of the Fire anyway) in the cup are actually comprised of players from the teams development systems. This includes the academy teams, junior teams, etc. I think it's pretty much a team comprised of our best players from our systems (minus 1-2 of our players, I know Victor Pineda, who recently helped the Chicago Fire Academy to the U-15/16 Development Academy championship went with the U.S. U-18's to Argentina) that fall under the U-17 age bracket.

All in all, glad to know that the different clubs player development systems are starting to become very solid and organized. Here's to the Fire U-17's winning it all! :)

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, you assume wrong. This was a carryover of sorts from their U-18 team from last year. A bunch are also playing in the Super-20 league and in this competition where they have qualified for the post season. They have a nice group of NCAA Division I players, including Pollack, the kid who scored last night, who has appeared on the U-17 team in the past. They also have three kids from Akron and three kids from Wake.

So don't assume that these are not good enough players for their academy. This is, in essence, the first graduates of their academy. You would think by now that you would actually ********ing use Google instead of shooting your mouth off (again) and being shown to be a fraud (again).

20. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    You are sad. First you were bragging about how FC Dallas would walk their group, now that they didn't you are making excuses left and right.

21. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

there were a handful of those type players on this team but the Crew Juniors as a concept are exactly what i said they were. Crew Juniors are the level on the pyramid BELOW the crew academy and typically made up of players not good enough for the academy teams. in this case a few older kids who aged out of the academy but haven't gone to college yet participated in this tournament for this team. that does not change the nature of what the team is or where if falls in the Crew youth development pyramid.

22. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Damn Mr. M put you in your place boomer. That'll teach you lesson. No one can escape Monster's righteousness.

23. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    there is a link on the front page of MLSSoccer.com now for the children among us.

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

I don't give a shit what people predict. Pretend you're an expert source when the factual information to prove you wrong is elsewhere - that's when that harsh hand of reality (not righteousness) will come down.

It's not rightousness. It's being right. Sad that the person who wants actual facts to be considered in the discussion is the bad guy here. Sad, sad, sad.

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the parlance, I believe you mean to say that he IS "a 96".

Otherwise, they need to start looking a bit more closely at those birth certificates because he's clearly a bit overage.