suggestion for Fan Clubs at home games

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by PSG Stunna, Aug 12, 2002.

1. PSG Stunna

PSG Stunna New Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Darkness!!!
    I am not currently in one of the Fan Clubs that support DC United (SE, Barra, or La Norte).. For the first time, I actually heard noise coming from the usually quiet side of the field... They were trying to get some kind of chant going. And no one else was joining in.

Suggestion to fan clubs.... If someone starts a cheer, join in. If La Norte starts pounding the drum and screaming "DC United", then SE and Barra Brava should too. If the general populace attempts to start a cheer, the fan clubs should immediately try and pick it up and carry it.

Fans that have a good time at games are fans that will return to games.

#1 Stunna

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    While in theory we don't have a problem with that, it's usually that we cant hear what's going on over in La Norte. We have on the average of at least four drummers a game. And those boys pretty much go for 90 minutes solid.

3. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Chico is right. I sit on the Quiet Side but towards La Norte. Sometimes we can hear what they are saying. VERY rarely we can hear the SEs or BBs. Kind of hard to join up with them when you can't hear what they are chanting. We know they are making noise but that is about it.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I said in another thread that it's hard enough to get an entire fan section to sing at all, never mind actually singing the same song.

5. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sitting just overhead the usually quiet side of the field and noticed that they were making quite a bit of noise... Figured it was the mascot leading them, but if it wasn't.. the groups on the other side should definitely keep an ear out.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over in La Norte we can't hear SE or BB. Only once during the game diid I make out a general DC United bump-bump-bump-bump-bump, DC United......... coming fom the stands.

7. PSG Stunna

PSG Stunna New Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Darkness!!!
    RFK help

Do you think that the stadium should pump in some Chant music to get everyone on the same page. Using the public address system to start a DCU chant may work.

#1 Stunna

8. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Re: RFK help

:D

Hope you are kidding. DC will never have music pumped in.

9. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Shawn, we have a defnite problem over on the sideline with multiple songs going on at once. I try to listen and pick up on the dominant chant, but clearly some other folks aren't interested in sounding like a whole unit. There were times on Saturday where it seemed like one side was always trying to outduel the other. Also, as much as I like the drumming, it can really keep some of the songs from going stronger if people cant hear (due to the drumming).

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I love the drums, just not the disorganization [mad drumming ensues]

:D

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Any drum majorettes out there willing to lead the Band? :D But I know what you mean Eric, things tend to get discombobulated at times.Think alcohol comsumption has anything to do with it?

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think that might be a contributing factor.

;)

12. DissonantNote

DissonantNote New Member

Jun 30, 2002
    SW/DC

I certainly hope not! One of the (few?) things RFK actually gets right is keeping the use of the PA system to a bare minimum. I assume it does get used occassionally during the games, but being in the midst of things on the BB/SE border, I would never know it. Too much drumming, bell ringing, etc. to hear it!

As if my musical talents weren't bad enough before consuming anything... things degrade significantly from there (hence my username). I am permanently about a quarter second off from everyone else on the beat!

But I know for others, being well lubricated seems to improve the music... not that it has anything to do with the chants! :D

13. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA

HELL NO. While I'm not a DCU fan an am 1800 miles away unless I'm visiting DC, I don't want to see this happen anywhere. Not only is it too contrived, but compared to most MLS cities, DC's supporters go more than a good enough job of bringing the noise themselves. Keep the canned music to before a half, and if after a goal's scored I'm cool with it.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: RFK help

What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh God no, we ain't Columbus! I really don't have a problem with different groups cheering their own thing as long as there's noise. I've been to other stadiums where it's like a funeral and the home team is beating United!

K

16. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Bite your tongue, Stunna...I went to a Phillies game a month or so back, and everything was so canned. It made me sick. I'm glad none of us at RFK (Nortenos, Barras and Eagles) need that "CHARGE!" and wave crap. Some idiots tried starting a wave at the All-Star Game. That ended real damn quick.

17. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, not to be discouraging the new guy

Any other suggestions?

K

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    how about some kind of sign or signal?

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    How about if we agree on one song at one specific point? Something like doing the DC UNITED chant as the second half kicks off.

Just a suggestion.

One way canned music could be used:

It would be AWESOME if there were some way to record the supporter groups singing and play that over and over again before the game as the teams are warming up.

Sachin

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A flair is good but the stadium frowns on those.

One suggestion is to agree on a few songs to sing at certain points in the game (all can follow the game clock unless it's the first half of the All-Star game!) This has been tried at US games to get folks to sing God Bless America. If it's a simple cheer like the Dee Cee United, clap clap, clap, clap clap clap hopefully the others between the BB/SEs and La Norte will join in.

K

21. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    if the clubs coordinated, they could number them and hold up a sign when they wanted the other club to chant. maybe then the rest of the crowd will follow.

22. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    The PA is not a bad idea. Don't get me wrong here, I am not suggesting, The Wave or a Charge or Hockey Game Music. What I am suggesting is that you actually put microphones by a section and pump your sound over the PA. This is being done in KC with much sucsess.

23. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Does someone in the Mystics actually hold the thing, or is it an area mic?

We actually had the "Who's your father" chant going pretty loud on Saturday, I wonder how that would have gone over on the whole stadium PA system?

24. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    One good round of "if I had the wings of an Eagle" and they'd pull the plug on us...

The best way to get all the groups coordinated, have enough people singing that it resounds through the stadium! When one side of the stadium is in full voice, trust me the otherside will know exactly what song to sing. Until then we are left with our relatively small, yet surprisingly loud fan groups who sing their own songs.

25. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    It is a large area mic, on a Boom that sits about 8 feet above the first row in the corner of the section. Their is also another (smaller mic) that is in the other bottom corner that is at waste level. Their is a wizard staff member who is on the radio with the PA guy who asks if we want to do a chant/sing. If we do the mic is turned on.

We also chant/sing when the mic is off. The comprimise to this is that when the mic is on we only do positive (porfanity free) chants/songs, but when the mic is off we can bust out the negative ones.

It is a working relationship that has started this year, and the GM wants to see more of it.

We have noticed more people coming into the fold, and more people out of the section joining in, especially the clapping ones. Hell even the cheerleaders dance to some of stuff.