Sugarcubes to reunite

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by doppelganger, Sep 21, 2006.

1. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/35908869

The band that made Bjork famous is getting back together. The Sugarcubes will reunite for one concert in Reykjavik, Iceland, on Nov.17, according to Bjork's Web site.

The show will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the release of their first single, "Birthday." All profits from the concert will go into the band's label, which will use it for non-profit purposes to promote Icelandic music.

Bjork was one of the performers to kick off the first show in the Live 8 series last year in Japan. The 10 free concerts across the globe were organized by Bob Geldof in an effort to fight poverty in Africa.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is so hot hot.

3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit, I can't believe it's been 20 years since Birthday came out!!!

I'm getting old.

4. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Second that! :(

I remember when they came out in SNL and I thought this was the weirdest band at the moment. :D

This album still holds great after all these years:

[​IMG]

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the Sugarcubes in concert in 1989 (or was it 1988? I can't remember); they were opening (along with P.I.L.!) for New Order on their Technique tour.

They sucked. Big time. Of course, it didn't help that we were all there to see New Order, only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the crowd had arrived, it was still daylight (concert was held outdoors in Park City, Utah), and people were more interested in lounging around and hanging with friends than listening to the wierdos on the stage. I mean, their stuff wasn't even melodic. It was like listening to Yoko Ono and the Human League mixed after they've shot up with too much heroin. At one point, the male lead singer pleaded with us to stand up and dance. We just collectively said, "meh."

P.I.L. was better.

New Order rocked the mountainside - probably the best concert I've ever seen.

Poor Sugarcubes. They just don't fare well in my memory.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first "weird" band I can clearly remember on SNL was Devo when they performed Satisfaction. I think I was in 8th grade.

7. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too bad. I saw them as headliners at Tipitina's in New Orleans in 1988 and really enjoyed the show.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really, really hope that the guy on the left has two feathers in his belt.

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In probably the strangest concert grouping I've ever witnessed in 1990: Sugracubes opening for Public Enemy opening for U2.

10. fresh aah

fresh aah New Member

May 16, 2006
    Hamburg