Suddenly Ghana, USA, and Algeria look a lot better

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Distorted Humor, Jul 8, 2014.

1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #151 M, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    They represented Oceania in 2006 so it's not relevant. Even if it were, AFC would still have had 3 last place finishers out 5 in that WC.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Sure they were. Let's take 1998 as the starting point, because a) that was the first 32 team cup (no "best 3rd place" advancement) and b) that draws a line after the 1994 cup, which the US hosted and in which the US overachieved as a result.

Since then, CCF has put a team into the knockout round 9 times (I think. 5 Mexico, 3 US, 1 Costa Rica.) They've twice won their group. How does Africa compare? My quick look through Wikipedia found 1 group winner and 6 teams to advance.

2. CCF has had 3.5 spots in I think every Cup I covered. Africa I think has had 5. Africa should be doing MORE than CCF, especially if the argument is, Africa has more depth.

CCF is the best of the minnow confederations if all you do is count achievements, and if you do it by "ratio of achievement to slots" it's a landslide.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    There is a lot of stuff you can say about Ghana, but not that they are a tactically naive team. You can disagree, but Ghana outplayed Germany despite Germany have better players. They evened it out through perfect use of tactics.

4. Mephistor

Mephistor Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Essen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The game you are talking about I think Ghana was physically stronger, had faster players and good technique. Germany opened in defense (tactical naive of Germany)..maybe you say its tactical intelligent to use it but I think at this level you have to use this opportunity...and to calm you down in this game they didnt play bad tactical, right.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #155 zahzah, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    What part of PRIOR TO do you not understand? 5 of those 9 times were not PRIOR TO. CONCACAF's record prior to 2010 was only mildly better - same amount of 1/4 finalists, normally 1 team through the group phase (with two for CONCACAF in 1994 and 2002.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. 4, n0t 5, were prior. So the number for CCF is 5.
    2. The equivalent number for Africa is 3. 9 vs 6, 5 vs 3, the difference is negligible. Not only that, but that stat INcludes the cup Africa hosted but DISincludes the cup CCF hosted.

CCF>CAF in terms of "counting" stats, and CCF>>CAF in terms of "ratio" stats.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    2010 - USA, Mexico
    2014 - USA, Mexico, Costa Rica
    EQUALS 5

2006 - Mexico
    2002 - Mexico, USA
    1998 - Mexico
    EQUALS 4

And in terms of depth: CAF 6 different teams past the group phase vs CONCACAF 3 different teams past the group phase. Apart from Costa Rica, USA and Mexico only Jamaica has not finished last in their group (thats 8 last placed finishes out of 9). Jamaica, Costa Rica, USA and Mexico are also the only CONCACAF teams to record a win at the World Cup (for comparitive purposes 10 CAF teams have, funnily enough the most titled team in African history - Egypt - never has).

I'm not bashing CONCACAF - just proving that there is a depth issue in CONCACAF. CAF may not be consistent and you never know which team will perform at a given World Cup, but they do have depth. Wildly inconsistent depth, but depth.

CONCACAF is the top minnow federation, mainly because of Mexico. USA has caught up in the last 20 years (3 x 1/8 final, 1 x 1/4 final). But from 1950-1990 Mexico was the only CONCACAF country that mattered.

Boloni86 repped this.
  8. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    CONCACAF teams have won their groups 3 times since 1998: Mexico in 2002, United States in 2010, and Costa Rica in 2014.

superdave repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Good point. These stereotypes are just a result of lazy football journalism. Everyone describes teams stereotypically and journalists do it everywhere. Europeans call Latin American teams too cynical and quick to dive. Latin Americans call European teams more tactical and less skilled. The English always play the long ball. Italy only knows how to defend. Brazilians play samba football. Japanese are too weak in set pieces. Americans have team spirit but no real talent.

Truth is that most journalists don't know anything about the majority of national teams except their stars that play at the big super clubs.

benztown and zahzah repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, I just don't see it that way. I though Ghana played vastly superior to Portugal. Of course, I was in Recife at the arena during the Portugal-Ghana match, so I don't have perfect information.

12. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Portugal-Ghana
    Shots on target 7-5
    Shots off target 10-11
    possession 55-45
    Corners 7-4

Ghana played better against Germany, Portugal got the draw vs USA and Ghana lost, but statisicaly Ghana did better vs USA, so it depends how you view it.

Either way both teams deserved to get knocked out, and that is what happened.

paulalanr repped this.
  13. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure, I wouldn't argue with that. It was certainly no Greece-Ivory Coast situation.