Successful and unsuccessful leaps to major labels

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bojendyk, Jul 5, 2005.

1. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Dunno why I was thinking about this subject over the weekend. The question is: which bands made the leap from an independent label and produced the best albums of their careers, and which made the leap and released crap, overproduced, way-too-slick albums?

Jawbox = successful leap

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    We'll know about Death Cab in a couple months.

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azzerad for insight on how a slew of 80s bands did after the jump. Generally, indie bands who jump fail both commerically and artistically -- R.E.M. did well, the only example that hits me immediately -- but almost all bands on major labels fail, not just those who go from indie darlings to a major.

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I'm thinking more about artistic failures and successes. That is a good book, though.

5. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    For what it's worth, I think the new WB-financed Hot Hot Heat album blows, and I loved their Sub Pop stuff.

6. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Modest Mouse, yes.

And I guess The Flaming Lips count, even though they had been on that label for a while before they put out the Soft Bullitien.

7. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Less Than Jake released their best album after moving from Asian Man to Capitol.

Since then, though... yeesh...

8. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Elliott Smith - I don't know how well they did commercially but musically, I like his Dreamworks output more than his Kill Rock Stars stuff.