Suarez must be suspended from all matches.

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by rob88, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Tambling Fan

Tambling Fan Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think his intention was to provoke the other player to elbow him so he can get a penalty.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we'll all find out exactly how much bite FIFA has.

Thanks, folks, I'll be here all week.

In all seriousness...if FIFA can give him a ban that extends to club football, I think January 1 would be a good day for him to resume his career.

3. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    He didn't put the Italian defender career in Jeopardy so all this talk about life ball is out of proportion IMHO. A exemplary ban I agree. 1 yr ban from all international games... but you realized this will increase his price and salary at club level (no traveling or risking injury while on National duty)

4. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Qdog, dapip and Revolt repped this.
  5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    jerrito, zahzah, Froboy69 and 2 others repped this.
  7. Gonzos

Gonzos Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    He will be suspended for 2 games i guess. And he didnt do it to provoke a foul, since his reaction to the "elbow" was way too slow. Disgrace for the team. Hope they get trashed next round.

8. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jerrito repped this.
  9. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's quite strange to see an adult have a biting problem.

That's usually a problem reserved for small children.

10. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Frankly, Suarez shouldn't play in this world cup or the next at all. I think that it would be the best punishment.

DutchLion repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Suarez ... Suarez ... your teeth are offsides!

jerrito repped this.
  12. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    If your team's head is not in the right place, you have to admit that they have very weak psyche.

13. Megabeast

Megabeast Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    1. Of course they celebrated when Suarez got the card. That's because he cheated and so they wanted him sent off.

2. Ghana already had it "in the bag" before they got cheated, as the ball was going in the net. Yes they probably thought they would score the penalty, because most pens are scored, but even so, Suarez turned a certain loss into a glimmer of hope for Uruguay, by cheating.

3. Why would we blame Gyan? He didn't "unsettle" his team mates, Suarez did. By cheating.

4. But it was Suarez who handballed it, no one else. If it was someone else then they would have been called a cheater instead, so this point is irrelevant. And what do you mean "hard to now how anyone else would act in that situation"?, the ball goes past players all the time while they're standing on the line, they don't hand ball it. So yes we do know how anyone else would react, they wouldn't (in the vast majority of cases) cheat.

5. Yes he was punished, but hey, would you trust a robber alone in your house after he did hs prison sentance? The robber will always be a robber, and Suarez will always be a filthy cheat.

And that's why I can not stand to see Uruguay do well. It's not because of Suarez, it's because of how Uruguay treat Suarez and legitimize his cheating ways.

duality72 and zahzah repped this.
  14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    what he did wasn't cheating. the consequences for it are defined by the rules and the appropriate penalty was meted out.

but the action shows a cynical, underhanded and dishonorable attitude that revolts me personally. and of hundreds of players faced with a similar dilemma, i don't recall ever seeing another make that choice.

cheater or not, he is without a doubt one of the most antipathetic players i have ever had the displeasure to watch.

jerrito, duality72 and canis repped this.
  15. Megabeast

Megabeast Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Gaining an advantage for your team by knowingly and purposefully stopping the ball go into the net with an illegal part of your body isn't cheating?

Then I guess he's not a cheater....

zahzah repped this.
  16. Tambling Fan

Tambling Fan Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Of course he cheated, that's why he was punished, if that robber goes to jail, he still robbed you.

The problem is, in the last minute sending off gives no advantage to the other team because now the match will be over. Maybe if there is a professional foul in the last 5 minutes or in injury time there should be 2 penalties just to make sure that no one will try to take advantage.

17. Roofvogel

Roofvogel Member

-
    Netherlands
    Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah it was, but compared to the biting it was a good act. Anyone would do that to save one's country in the last minute.

spepper repped this.
  18. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Cheating is not defined by consequences but by intent. To wit: in the WC1990, against Soviet Union, Maradona had stopped a goal-bound ball with his hand ("Hand of God II"). It passed unnoticed. Is this cheating? Now, had it been called by the referee, would it be any less of cheating? Or think of Maradona's original "Hand of God", at the 1986WC vs. England. Is it cheating? What if it was caught, would it be any less of cheating?

19. Tambling Fan

Tambling Fan Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Which is why the rules should make it a bad choice.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    now the onus is on others. the suspicion is that his notoriety will save him from appropriate punishment.

FIFA - the minimum plausible sanction would be 3 matches, thus ending his brazilian adventure. he got 10 for the incident at liverpool.

FA - i doubt they have any jurisdiction for a suspension. but they or the PFA could make issuing him him a player's card for next season dependent upon his receiving counseling.

AUF - they need to make more than a gesture. 12 months ban (again with mandatory counseling) seems a minimum response to me.

jerrito repped this.
  21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    How was that cheating? It's called a sacrifice. We see players sacrifice yellow cards and even red cards to stop a scoring chance. And that wasn't the first time I've seen a player stop a ball with their hands on the goal line. In fact I've seen it many times. Or goalies handling the ball outside the box ...

As a player you're 100% within your rights to handle the ball as long as you accept the consequence of being sent off. No league or federation would fine or ban someone for making that choice.

dapip, M_Penalosa and canis repped this.
  22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i agree with you in terms of simple jurisprudence. just as giving back a ball kicked into touch at the referee's behest is not a rule, just a custom.

it doesn't stop me from feeling the action is odious. and if honor, glory, sportsmanship and pride all go by the wayside, the tin (both trophies and money) doesn't go all that far in my book.

23. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    No, the comparison somebody made with a robber is perfect. A robber is a criminal. Even if he gets caught and sent to prison he's still a criminal. What you're saying is like saying 'a robber is well within his rights to rob and steal as long as he accepts the consequences' which is of course idiotic.

duality72 and goliath74 repped this.
  24. Tambling Fan

Tambling Fan Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Attitudes like that are what reduces sport to a farce. So ultimately the punishment should ensure that the player doesn't choose to break the laws of the game. So serious foul play. Such as making a "sacrifice" to win, should result in a charge of bringing the game into disrepute. That is where the higher authorities can take action.

With Saurez biting people, the first thing that should happen is his own FA send him home. If they don't do this, then they are as guilty as him.

25. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He wasn´t trying to get away with it. He made a choice accepting the consecuences. I agree it was a sacrifice, as a previous poster mentioned.