Student sues to end summer homework

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Danks81, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    "MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (AP) -- A student whose vacation plans were spoiled has sued to end summer homework in Wisconsin, claiming it creates an unfair workload and unnecessary stress.

Peer Larson, 17, had lined up a dream camp counselor job last June, but honors pre-calculus homework turned his summer into a headache."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/21/homework.suit.ap/index.html

The kid has a point here. If the teachers need extra time to teach pre-calc then they are doing something wrong.

2. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

The kid's lawsuit should be thrown out of court and the family should be charged for all money spent entertaining this insane waste of the court system to begin with. This is the key part of the article imo:

When I was a senior in high school, I chose to take AP English. The teacher wanted to cover a ton of books in one school year. Because of that, we were required to read all of the books (12 in total) over the summer. Did it suck? Yes. Did I take the school to court? Of course not. If you don't like the workload for an honors or AP class, you have two options: 1- Suck it up and do the work, or 2- Switch to a standard class. I applaud this school for maintaining academic standards. If you want a transcript full of Honors and AP marks, then you'd best be prepared for the extra work.

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    What an ass. Life's full of choices. If you can't have your "dream job" and take an honors course, you've got to choose one. I'd like to have a high paying job with one of the big accounting firms AND enjoy the copious amounts of free time I have now. Guess what? Ain't gonna happen. So I settle for a lower paying job.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you telling me that you've never taken a summer off and come back to school having forgotten mathematical formulas, etc.?

This isn't extra time necessary to teach a subject. This is work to separate the lazy students from the ones who truly want to be in honors and/or AP classes. This is to keep minds sharp so all is not lost. Where do you even get that needing extra time stuff?

This is a student who needs to be removed from honors and AP classes. I wish him luck getting letters of recommendation when it's time to apply for universities. I hope they all note his name.

Of course, I wonder if this lawsuit was even his idea. It was probably an idiot parent. Who in the world would have listened to this kid say, "I should sue!" and say, "That's a good idea!"

"These students are still children, yet they are subjected to increasing pressure to perform to ever-higher standards in numerous theaters,"

I don't believe this for an instant. If anyone is subjected to "increasing pressure to perform to ever-higher standards" it's teachers.

Incidentally... this whole comment about needing extra time to cover subjects has really made me angry. Do you have any idea what's in the learning standards? Do you realize that many teachers need to align and teach to state, federal, and local standards? You think we can fit all of this into our curricula?

I only hope the article is correct about this being an "honors" class. If it turns out that this is an AP class, then I'll be livid.

Ok... I'm editing this. I'm not done!

How about the fact that the TEACHER is taking time out of HIS summer to teach these kids? This is not atypical... and, no, summer school salaries are NOT worth it.

Do you know what the teachers who are truly trying to make a difference are doing over the summer? Do you think we all take a big, long vacation and then come home and garden all summer?

I spent the summer designing curricula for the upcoming school year.... for British lit, World lit, and creative writing. Check old threads in the Books forum. I even talked about it on BS.

I created lessons. I read up on things with which I was unfamiliar that I am teaching this year.

Hell, teachers should sue for having to do so much work at home!!!! But we do it because we're teachers... and we want to save the world from idiot children like this one.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ready to sue to end having to do any lesson planning or literature review over the summer - as if a nine month salary corresponds to nine months of preparation work! :rolleyes:

6. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first glance, I thought the title of this post was Student sues to end Summer Vacation.

I was this close to booking some plane tickets to Milwaukee to give this kid the smackdown.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I initially thought (and was planning to do) too. :D

-G

8. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. I'm a senior in high school who is taking A.P. English. I knew before I even signed up for the class that I would have to read several books over the summer and analyze the novels. If the kid wasn't willing to put forth the effort (or didn't have time to, which is complete bs), he shouldn't have signed up for the class.

9. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    BINGO!

Seriously, this is the problem with block scheduling. It's a great scheduling system. It's a lot easier on the students. But when you have math in the fall of one year and math in the spring in the following year, that's one whole year that a student will be without math. Unless they have a toolkit to refer to...they're in trouble.

10. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. I had Spanish I in the fall of my sophomore and Spanish II in the spring of my junior year. That wasn't fun.

11. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

What moronic parent would encourage his kid to file this lawsuit. What a jackass.

12. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    My first summer assignment ever was reading The Prince and answering a bunch of questions about it. I thought "Hey 70something pages? I can do that in one day."

I almost died and I wanted to cry the entire time. It was so depressing and tedious.

I've had summer hw in several classes every summer since then. It still sucks but it's not that bad OR time consuming.

13. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    thats my old English's teachers nephew or cousin or something hahah

14. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can honestly say I never did one single stitch of summer work required of me, for any class, ever. And I had a 4.0. You just gotta know how to ****************.

15. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. This is interesting censorship.

If it's one thing, then you need to know how to pull a paper out of nowhere, etc.

If it's another, then there are some teachers involved in inappropriate activities with their students!

Hmmm.... I wonder which one you mean!

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    One thing I don't get is, why do you need pre-calc work over the summer? Books, sure. But pre-calc?
    I've always felt math was a subject you can learn from a book. (There is a "right" answer, after all.) So if they're going to teach part of the class later, why not the whole class? I don't get it.

P.S. AP classes aren't necessarily more work. They're just more challenging. There's a key difference.

17. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Math is also one of those subjects that you build upon a foundation of knowledge. Perhaps the work assigned was to make sure that come the first weeks of school, the teacher does not have to spend a month reviewing material from the year before.

18. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    And justice is done.

Well, except for the defendants sticking the plaintiffs with legal fees for a frivolous lawsuit.

19. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    Stupid kiddo. Just send him to army