Strikers trying to get onto the end of crosses.

Discussion in 'Player' started by garethchelsea, Dec 29, 2009.

1. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In games when the wingers have the ball and they aren't the best so the just lump it in the box, instead of picking out team-mates to run onto the ball and either headering or volleying. Is there anyway of making it more efficient so that you get on the end of the unpredictable crosses.

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Its not the cross so much as the off-ball-runs. You have to time your run so you are not too early and meanwhile be close enough to get on the end of the cross when it comes. You also need to have width and depth up front so that someone will be able to get on the end of the cross where ever it goes. The farther the distance the more time you have to work with. Go too early and you just drag the defenders into the space. If you are too far away, you won't be able to get on the end of the cross. This is where experience playing together helps. If it were easy to do, soccer would be a high scoring game. I tell new people to don't worry about me getting there, that's my job. I tell them I will be making a far post run supporting them every time that they are running down the wing. And then I try not to make a liar of myself through the rest of the game. One thing to remember is you can be 15 yards behind the ball and still get on the end of a cross to the far post. Keep making those runs.

3. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nice good reply, thanks.

4. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    Desire. I don't want to sound like I'm stating the obvious here but the only thing i can add to rca2's fantastic advice is you need to want to win the ball more than any other player, or it won't happen. Be commited and more than anything confident when making the run, get there before the defender and get a shot on target. Be strong and focussed.

5. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    i get what you're saying. i run into the same problem a lot on rec teams. it's not just crosses. it happens all over the field. it happens wherever you have an unskilled player. it takes a lot of trust in your teammates, but it's not easy because whenever you make the run, you run the risk of getting out of defensive position.

even so, you just have to keep making your runs, because the ball will eventually squirt through. and when it does, you need to be there to take advantage of the opportunity.

6. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    just tell your teammates to aim the ball into the six yard box... and that is where you should run to

7. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    If the ball is crossed, where the high point is vertical then maybe a far post run will work. However, if the ball is driven in, shoulder to head height, and the mid point is more horizontal, then actually you want to make a run towards the center of box, or even the near post, because if you make a far post run, the goalie will either catch the ball or punch it.

8. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    You are missing several points. First there should be multiple players making runs providing both width and depth in the forward line of attack. Second you are assuming that the winger is making a late cross. From the individual player's perspective where you want to make a run depends on the circumstances. If someone else is running to the center and to the near post, then you go to the far post because that is what needs to be covered. Just because a teammate is in a better position does not mean that you serve the team by making a run on top of him. In fact running to the teammate in a better position may give you a better chance to score, but it reduces your team's chances of scoring. (In my example the far post is not covered and you allow the defense to concentrate in the more dangerous spot).

If you are wondering why I said I tell my fellow forwards that I will always be making a far post run in support of their wing play (I am rca2) its because I am much older and slower than the other forwards. I expect to be the third attacker and I have no hope of making a timely near post run should I be the only one supporting the winger's attack. If (surprise!) someone else runs to the far post (and I run elsewhere) there's no harm because it doesn't really matter who makes the run. It works well for me and my team. The important thing is to reach some kind of understanding with your team mates so you can work well together.

9. jdl2z

jdl2z New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    nashville
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    draw players away from the the area you plan to attack before the ball is served so you have space. then wait till the last second and burst in with the attack