striker's depth

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mis-e-one, Nov 12, 2004.

1. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    I think Gooners should be worried if Henry ever gets injured.

You have no one use who scores goals on a consistent basis! Really Wenger shouldn't have let Kanu or Wiltord go. :)

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with you on the 1st part, but the 2nd.....YOU ARE OFF YOUR ROCKER!!! Obviously, I hadn't heard about Kanu and Wiltord being massive strikers on their new clubs.....snicker, snicker.

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still say that Kanu is one of the most enigmatic strikers ever. One time you'll watch him and say..."good grief, this guy is brilliant...look at the sublime touch he has...." The next time you'll watch him (or even sometimes minute by minute in the same match) and think..."good grief, this muppet has no business playing in a Sunday pickup league much less the EPL...."

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He is one of the most INCONSISTENT footballers around. He is fun to watch, but may require anti-acid tablets while viewing.

5. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, besides Henry, only Reyes, Pires, Bergkamp, Ljungberg, Van Persie, and Lupoli have scored more than one goal this year.

6. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    True...but Cesc and some others are just waiting to break through. Pat's will also come soon enough...

7. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being sarcastic. Pires and Reyes have six goals each in the league and are tied for third among leading goal scorers. Sorry for any confusion, i haven't figured out my smilies yet. :eek:

8. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    No...I understood that was sarcasm...I'm saying the scoring isn't as spread out amongst those who are normally putting tallies up on the score sheet...those being regular first team regulars...as it was last year and the years before. Don't worry mate, I got that it was sarcasm...

9. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004

try watching a Lyon game
    Wiltord is like owning

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, i just don't want to offend with the subtlety of my humor, troll threads tend to make me a little snide. The point of this thread is silly though. D'ya think we'd miss Henry? Gee, losing the best player in the world might be a bad thing. Kanu and Wiltord were good players for us but if either of them could justify their wage they would still be on the team. If Arsenal are strong in one area its obviously with their fowards/wingers. If Henry did get injured (Heaven forbid) i actually think Reyes could pick up the slack pretty well. The way that our young fowards are playing makes me very optomistic about the future. The CB position is where we are dangerously thin but this is nothing new, hopefully Wenger has a plan to remedy this in January as Cygan has not worked out as well as we might have hoped.

11. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Have you seen Arsenal play. They are the benchmark. Unbeaten last season. They'll walk the premiership this term. If Henry gets injured, theres always Reyes to fill his boots. VAVA VOOOOM.

12. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Ok yes there is Reyes but Henry does score the bulk of your goals (and has done for some time). I heard that during the unbeaten run Henry scored something like over 30-40 goals!!

My point is that being dependent on one man to score your goals can backfire! ;)

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've convinced me, perhaps Wenger should tell Henry to score less goals or perhaps bench him to create a more balanced team. :confused:

14. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004

ok thanks for your opinion
    its not worth anything but thanks for it

now fuck off

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I think you need a centre forward. Reyes could take over the Henry role for a spell, but you will need someone else up front.

16. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    I think that person could very well be Robin Van Persie. He can play with his back to the goal and he is a good header of the ball. It is early yet but that is how I see the development of Van Persie.

17. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    did u see him get kicked in the nads today

18. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    Yeah, I had sympathy pains for him. :)

19. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Worried that it was his groin before seeing the replays then glad it was just a nad (sorry, couldn't resist). From match reports and highlights, it seems Quincy Unspellable could also step up this year.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I think he's a bit too creative for the role.

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, I actually agree with something you've said. ;)
    Van Persie strikes me more as a withdrawn forward (similar to Bergkamp) than a classic center forward.

22. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    What I have seen of R. Van Persie has been great...he could be the answer to the question.
    I agree that we are too relaiant on Henry but as someone posted arlier he is one of the best in the world and many teams would rely on him. Look at man u 1-2 seasons ago when Van Nistlerooy was scoring 30-40 per season and creating goals out of nothing.
    We wanted to keep Wiltord but he wanted a 3 year deal and we only offered 2 years (because he is old).

I think after season we will be fine for depth because Reyes and Van Persie will have adjusted and some of the youth/reserve players will be ready to step up

23. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    Possibly, but he does have many of the qualties you look for in a center forward.

24. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Absoloutly

Except Wiltord hit a huge slump and wasnt doing much. Kanu I like though, when hes on form...

Except for:

Bergkamp
    Reyes
    Pires
    Ljumberg
    Vierra
    Farbregas

Hell even Cole and Lauren have scored recently!

Do for me :)