Stony Brook vs. Rider (R)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by copaantl98, Sep 13, 2003.

1. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    This has got to be the best performance I've seen from Stony Brook of all-time. 5-0 win. The match was played in the rain inside the stadium. The first half, Stony Brook looked sluggish once again with no patience nor discipline. Second half, everything changed. Stony Brook got patient and looked for creativity all around. They kept switching sides and constantly moving the ball like they were pros. The first goal was a penalty kick. After that first goal, the field started to open up and there was a lot more space. Shane Arikian scored four straight goals. The second goal was a 20 yard dipping shot. The fourth goal, Arikian juked a Rider defender and scored. The midfielder Chong Han, usually a winger, played the role of Reyna and was fantastic. Rider was clearly outmatched. The backup Stony Brook goalie, Matt Thibdeau, did not have to make one save. Once it was 4-0, there was quite of bit of show time by the Seawolves. Hope the Seawolves can keep up this performance.

2. FAN0011

FAN0011 New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Region1
    As good as your team looked...

As good as your team looked against Rider, they played Rider, one of the worst D1 teams in the nation. Check out SUNY when they play a tougher team.

3. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Re: As good as your team looked...

When your team has gone 9-22-3 (W-L-T) over the past two years, and starts out this year 0-3, getting outscored 10-1 in the process, you enjoy any win. How good or bad the competition is doesn't matter.

Really, no fan of Stony Brook soccer is claiming we're a force in D1 soccer. We've taken our hits and we'll take some more this year, I expect. Let us enjoy this rare blowout victory.

4. KR

KR New Member

Jan 5, 2000
    Sorry that I rained on your parade. It is just that Rider is especially bad this year - one of the bottom 5 or 10 D1 colleges in the nation. I think they have been shut out every game.

Enjoy the college season!

5. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    ouch

Did anyone on Rider's team look competent? I'd heard they had a couple of decent players although this may not have been the game they showed their best stuff. Anyone?

6. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Re: ouch

No one at all. Even when the Rider players weren't being pressured, they kept giving passes away.

7. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Re: ouch

Okay, it sounds like their pregame warm-up didn't go too well either. There are a lot of levels in D-1 and Ride must be near the bottom level. Look at the bright side, they will be able to tell their kids they played college soccer some day.