Stoke City FC Thread

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Rooneys Hairline, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we don't have a team to root for this season, we can at least follow and learn about our sister club over in merry old England. Some of you like myself may follow the Premier League but not know too much about the Championship or lower divisions. Most of you already know that the owner of the Aztex, Phil Rawlins, is also one of the owners of SCFC.

The parternship between the clubs as stated by the articles I've read on it include the chance for local players to be scouted by the England club, a SCFC training camp that will be held in Austin, and several other beneficial aspects to being partnered with a major club in the Championship.

Stoke City currently sits 4th in the Championship League table and are still in strong contention for a playoff spot (3rd-6th place team) if not outright promotion (1st-3rd). A promotion into the Premier League would amount to a huge pay day and surely would be beneficial to the ambitions of the Aztex.​

[​IMG]

Official Club Page​

Aztex Page on Stoke Site​

Some facts about Stoke City FC:

- The club is based in Stoke-on-Trent, England, halfway between Birmingham and Manchester in the West Midlands.

- The club's nickname is "The Potters". (Recognition of Pottery industry in the city, apparently)

- Home ground is Britannia Stadium, a 28,000 seater opened in 1997.

- SCFC is the second oldest Football League club in the world.(1863)

- Club was last in top flight during the 84-85 season

Key Players

Ricardo Fuller (Jamaica)- Forward - 28 league appearences, 14 goals
    Ryan Shawcross - Centerback - Bought from Manchester United - 30 appearences, 6 goals
    Liam Lawerence - Midfielder - 29 league appearences, 9 goals
    Steve Simonsen - Goalkeeper - 30 appearences ​

Good recent article about the team "Potters of Gold".​
    http://www.skysports.com/experts/expert_story/0,19793,12086_3114345,00.html

Excellent page from local paper dedicated to club
    http://www.whydelilah.co.uk/

Wikipedia article on Stoke City FC (certified 100% accurate by Wikipedia :rolleyes:)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoke_City_F.C.

Schedule with Results from SkySports
    http://www.skysports.com/calendar/club/0,19944,11701_100_1,00.html

I couldn't find a thread in the BS Championship forum dedicated to Stoke City. Hopefully some fans from across the pond will find us and correct this poorly researched testament to the team. :D The fact that the teams are actual business partners is a pretty cool concept. The Aztex future is definetely linked with that of the parent/sister club.

Rawlins is quoted as saying that upon promotion to the Premier League, "Our television revenue alone would go from $2 million a year to $150 million. It's a huge step up." That has to be beneficial to the Aztex.

Hopefully some others with perspective will have something to add to the thread. If nothing else I'll post results from Stoke City matches.

2. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I have this thread to myself. :eek:

Facts about Austin on Stoke Aztex page.
    http://www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/AustinAztex/0,,10310~1222131,00.html

- Austin has a humid subtropical climate, characterized by hot summers and mild winters. (so that explains the perpetual swamp@$$.)

- Snowfall is rare in Austin, but once every year or two Austin is hit with an ice storm that freezes roads over and shuts down much of the city for around a day. (Ice Storm 07 is still too painful to talk about.)

- Other popular sports in Texas include golf, fishing and lacrosse. (lacrosse :confused:)

- Nationally known Austinites include country and western star Willie Nelson, world class athlete Lance Armstrong, actor Matthew McConaughey, actress Sandra Bullock and former World Wrestling Entertainment champion Stone Cold Steve Austin.
    (Is it not enough we have to see that shirtless bum on the sideline of every Longhorn game? I'm pretty sure Stone Cold Steve Austin is just a stage name. :rolleyes:)

- Houston Dynamo won the Major League Soccer Cup in 2006 & 2007.(whoa hey, they totally wrote this. not me.)

3. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, Rooneys, GO POTTERS! :D

I've been following their movement (or lack thereof) in the Championship table on my blog. For instance, Saturday's results. I hadn't paid any attention to Championship soccer before, so I've been having fun. It's opened up a whole new league for me in FIFA '08 on our Wii, too. :)

By the way, I'm not sure why, but the Championship teams are all playing tonight, too. Stoke City takes on Southampton at 7:45 PM. I think they're 6 hours ahead of us here in Austin, so that would be 1:45 PM here...

Go Potters! Also, go Leicester! go Sheff United! & go Scunthorpe! (the teams playing Watford, West Brom & Bristol City, respectively) :D

4. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slight correction/clarification of your typo; only 1st and 2nd get straight promotion spots. You are correct about 3rd through 6th going to a playoff for the last promotion spot.

5. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I meant. Sorry.

6. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you did, but wanted to make sure others weren't confused. Before this Aztex/Stoke City business, I had thought the top 3 spots were guaranteed promotion. It must suck to work hard all season long and secure 3rd place and then potentially lose out to some 6th place team having a good couple of games.

7. Yes - big game for Stoke tonight.

Promotion really wasn't on the cards at the start of the season.

But 1 loss in the last 15 means everyone's getting ridiculously optimistic that we could be back in the top league after 23 years:eek:

Stoke forum - http://oatcakefanzine.proboards27.com/index.cgi?board=Potters

8. calgarypotter

calgarypotter New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary
    Nothing ridiculous about it matey.......the boys are on the march and with 3 home games on the trot tonight is the start of our return to the big time

9. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wut!?

10. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it's finished:

Stoke 3-2 Southampton L
    Powell o.g. 27 John 45
    Shawcross 35 John 54
    Sidibe 44

Oh, wait, I guess it's not finished yet. Go Potters!

12. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the "Live Table" I am looking at that, they would now be in 2nd place behind Watford? Would be a big win.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checking the right side of this page, looks like the Potters are in 3rd. Damn you, Scunthorp, for giving up a goal in the 83rd minute!

And thanks to Sheff Utd!

14. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely within striking distance.

15. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Report on Tuesday's game vs. Southampton 2/12/08

Stoke City 3
    (Davies og 27, Shawcross 35, Sidibe 44)
    Southampton 2
    (John 46, 54)

http://www.whydelilah.co.uk/matchreports/Stoke-City-3,-Southampton-2.aspx

Current Table:
    (all teams having played 32 games)

1. Watford 58 pts
    2. Bristol City 57 pts
    3. Stoke City 56 pts
    4. West Brom 55 pts
    5. Charlton 51 pts

Next Match:
    Home vs. Scunthorpe (7-15-10 24th place aka last) 7:45 (1:45 CST)

16. calgarypotter

calgarypotter New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary

Stoke City World Matchlive console is the way you listen to BBC Radio Stoke live match commentary. There are also a couple of free streaming sites that do it but I pay GBP40 for the season and never miss a game, the money goes to the Club so its worth it for me :D

17. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Potters are looking good for tomorrow's match. According to Ladbrokes, they're 8/15 to win, while Scunthorpe are 9/2.

More odds

18. stokefan23

stokefan23 New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Stoke, England
    LISTEN TO THE GAMES LIVE HERE FOR **FREE**

Another Stoke forum, very friendly say stokered84 got you on there.

Cheers lads n gals :)

http://www.delilahs.co.uk/forum/

19. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SkySports.com also has a live score application.

21. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [R][result]1-2. Liam Lawrence pulls one back for Stoke.[/result]

22. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [R][result]2-2. Cresswell ties it up. 63rd Min.[/result]

23. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [R][result]3-2 Stoke City. Lawrence with a brace.[/result]

24. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulltime:
    [R][result] Stoke City 3 Scunthorpe 2. Still up in the table. Came back in the 2nd half with 3 goals. Massive result.[/result]

25. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    In the latest Guardian podcast. i heard Barry Glendenning refer to Stoke FC game as scrapy thugs who like to play the long ball, much like Bolton and Watford. I was curious if anyone has seen Stoke FC play.

I'm still excited about the prospect of Stoke making the Prem. and then I can make my own judgement.