Stock-picker Thread (2006!)

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Dammit!, Dec 30, 2005.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    IN the right direction? It looks like it's creeping back down to where it had gapped up to a couple months ago.

You mean that stock that is trading around $80 right now, hit $85+ recently, and that doubled in value in the last 6 months may now be overvalued? Impossible. :)

Ya, I hope some folks around here have enjoyed the apple ride but I'd be setting those stops to get out at a good price. Apple was trading around $10 a share back in 04. This one isn't going to last much longer.

2. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    They're up 75% in the last year, they're P/E is over 70, and the mainstream grocery stores are stepping up their "organic" offerings. How much more growth is possible for the company? I don't see how the ride will last much longer when this one.

3. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Ill take this chance to see what everyone thinks of Ameritrade. The purchase of TD Waterhouse along with a so called cash dividend that is due this week?
    Its part of Cramer's portfolio too so it has some fan base, along with great numbers to back it up.
    I bought in at 24 and am looking forward to the 30s.

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    On the other hand, communities are lining up to beg Whole Foods to open stores in their area, unlike, say, most other food-tailers.

Sachin

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, are you just here to ruin everyone's day?

Any pick from you, sir?

6. erikl2

erikl2 Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I thought that this was a stock discussion? What I read was a pretty brief, though fundamental point-of-view on a stock. I realize that most of the discussion so far has focused on technical indicators, but rapidly expanding PE's and increased competition are relevant to many.

I appreciate hearing a stock's "story." If I can't find something bad about an investment it usually means that I don't know the risks associated that opportunity.

If a pick is necessary, mine would be WMT. From a historical perspective its a good value. I like its competitive position as being the undisputed leader at distribution. Also, I like their market position in a "soft" economy. Right now, they have labor issues, but I think that ultimately, WMT's willingness to close stores instead of allowing organized labor wins out.

7. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Yes, but that P/E is completely insane. I'm not sure what company out there other than goolge has that kind of P/E. That's 5 times what others in it's industry feetch. And I'm not sure how much opportunity for growth they have. This is for a company that is looking to add a dozen stores this year. That's not even a 10% increase in size. Which is probably good cuz they're going after the high end of the market. But in the short run, for the stock, I don't see how they're going to grow fast enough to justify their current stock price.

Oh, sorry. I'm just poo-pooing things, aren't I? I do that a lot by nature. I don't mean to do it in a way that comes across as putt people thoughts down so much as simply disagreeing. The way I see it, time is money. We know that when we alk about opportunity costs. Find something that's going up, set your stops, and ride it until it loses it's momentum. LIke Whole Foods. I'm not sure I'd buy into it now. I think to get where it is now, it's had some great momentum. But it's time for thiings to sort themselves out. There are tools and logic you can use in figuring these things out so you're not eyeballing a stock. But even looking at a stock like Whole Foods, ideally you would've sold in August and when the idicators made it look likely it was ready to climng again, buy back in.

As for a stock I would recomend right now, Burlington Northern Santa Fe.

8. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Take a looksy here: BNI:

[​IMG]

Almost a good 5% up on earnings news.

Is a P/E of 19 kinda high for a railroad?

BTW, if anyone wants to gamble, FMD releases earnings Thursday the
    26th and I heard 45% of shares are shorted right now. Fizzzle or pop??? A friend of mine has $50k riding on a pop. (but he's pretty crazy)

9. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Railroads have traditionally been heavily regulated and probably didn't start to grow out of that until the the 90s even though the laws were loosened up earlier. They're obviously not a growth stock but they've been putting up nice growth for their size. More importantly, their stock is going up. Afterall, a stock is only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

10. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I know nothing about the industry but let me guess: High oil/gas prices are excellent news for the railroads as businesses go back to them over trucks?

11. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also haul a lot of coal

12. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    [​IMG]

Another good pick. They're in an old school indstry that's seeing good growth and they're going to cotinue to benefit a lot as railrodas sink even more money back into their operations.

13. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    made out pretty good if he sold at the open today.

14. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I just heard from him.

He judged it right (FMD beat earnings forecast by 15 cents) but it didn't quite pop like he expected. Only up like 3%.

He's holding for the time being and thinks it has legs up...

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

In case you're keeping score at home, this closed at 3.26 on the 30th. It's at 3.68 now. Not too shabby for a couple of weeks. Looking for more gains to come.

16. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Good show.

Acually, stocks on this thread have been doing very well. We are a bunch of smart-ass people. Maybe we can start a mutual fund?

17. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    BTW, anyone see Boeing up 5% on earnings news?

Matt and I are smiiling.

18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Oh man, imagine that? It would be the BigSoccer version of this:

[​IMG]

remember them? :D

19. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Oh yeah. Instead of knitting together, they made millions of dollars in the market...

I wonder what ever happened to them? They're probably hanging out with the "where;s the beef" lady on some island somewhere.

20. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
  21. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not such if I should start another thread but: I am considering a Bear fund for diversity, anybody know a good one?

22. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    My version of a 'Bear fund' and Im assuming one that shorts a lot? or is betting on the economy to weaken, is Gold.

23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After doing the research, no Bear fund for me.

24. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Invested in four Mutual Funds today. The first three got 5 stars by Morning Star TREMX an International Equity Em. Markets fund, VWINX, Income fund,"not sexy but a stable diversifying fund" and MPGFX, Growth. The next fund got four stars, USAGX, Precious Metal Fund. I also a few weeks back up my holdings in HRSVX, a Growth Income fund that has treated me very well over the last four years. It's managed by Heartland Fund, a small company but I have gotten good returns.