Post-match: Still Streaking - MLS MATCHDAY 22 CREW @ ARCA UNITED SAT JULY 30TH 700PM (CHARLOTTE FC)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Jul 27, 2022.

?

RESULT?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2022.
  1. Crew win by 2 or more aka Caleb Porter Master Class

14.0%
  2. Crew win by 1

20.9%
  3. Draw (CANADIAN WIN)

18.6%
  4. Crew lose by 1

7.0%
  5. Crew lose by 2 or more aka Coachbot 9000 disaster class

4.7%
  6. JUMPING THE SHARK IS A BOLD MOVE - CAPTAIN INVADER

4.7%
  7. slowing my roll - anyone but cucho scores gwg - worth 2 points

30.2%
  1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this on Reddit.

[​IMG]
    Damnit. It was there the whole time.

foozer, MLSinCleveland, DAFCrew and 4 others repped this.
  2. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Might as well just make the C a D and complete it all.

3. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Yeah they need to extend him and restructure it so they can buy him down . Unlikely he agrees to a cut so big that he is under DP.

although the numbers for DP and what number can be bought down will possibly change slightly next year.

But we still need a DP winger and Nagbe needs to be understanding. Seems like he wants to finish his career here.

4. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Exactly but we are too good for Kamara according to many . Y’all are happy with Bez and Hurtado.

our roster isn’t good enough to perform the way Porter & Bez believed. They are a mutual problem!

5. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    We can fire Porter for all Porter out ppl and then get a new coach and do it all over again with the same roster. Bez is equally or more at blame for believing we had the right players to comfortably make the playoffs.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had one once too. I was getting tired and wanted to sub out so I was at the centerline about a yard or so from touch. Ball came to me on a slight bounce, so I just whacked it, figuring I'd get a goal kick out of it (as these were the days when you could not sub on the other guy's throw-in)--and my team was yelling at me for doing it. Buuut--nothing but net.

7. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11pts lost In the 90th minute tells me this roster is good enough to comfortably make the playoffs. Just missing “something” and it ain’t roster.

8. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    An apostrophe after 96 would be icing on the cake.

YITBOS and ZipSix repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #409 Bill Archer, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    And anyone with eyes can see that the players we have are fully capable of playing with anyone, holding their own and dominating play a good deal of the time.. We've all seen it.

Then comes the last ten minutes of every game and suddenly they play scared, panicky, desperation soccer, praying for the final whistle. There isn't the slightest inclination to possess or attack, or play the damn game, just clear and clear and clear.

It's the damndest thing, it happens over and over and over. It's like they become an entirely different bunch of guys.

And you have to blame the leadership, specifically the coach, for it.

At this point, frankly, I genuinely hope the Crew does not make the playoffs. They aren't going to go far before they collapse anyway, we all know it, and in the meantime it will extend this awful, ugly, depressing season.

I just want it over, Porter canned and to start over.

TracieB, Ball Kicker, CBusAlex and 4 others repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I've done it that way (on a roller from open play, caught the keeper out) and on a set piece (snuck it juuuust under the bar), though sadly for the keeper, he didn't even have the excuse that he was too far out and I took it quickly.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Cucho has one goal in his last 7 matches. Over 600 minutes of playing time.

That seems impossible. This team doesn't deserve the playoffs.

12. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    This is Cucho's heat map (hopefully from the whole game). This is not a winning formula. Screenshot_20221006-084612_Chrome.jpg

ColumbusFTW, zman31 and hangthadj repped this.
  13. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Porter is done after this season or whatever, I wouldnt be surprised if Nagbe chooses to retire or something, especially if hes asked to renegotiate his contract in some manner. I know somebodies going to say hes only 32 and probably has more years to play, but with his unique personality, I wouldnt surprised if when he doesnt have the ideal circumstances hes interested in playing under, he decides to just grab his ball and go home, literally. I wouldnt be surprised if the Nagbe issue sorts itself out soon enough.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s not gonna pass on nearly $2 million, come on.

zman31 repped this.
  15. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If every Columbus game had ended at 90' on the dot, the Crew would be sitting in fourth place with 53 points, looking to hold off fifth-place NYCFC (yes, the Red Bulls also pass them in this scenario) for a home playoff game.

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sands isn't a CB. He came on for Diaz, Pedro to midfield, Sands to LB.

zman31 and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #417 TrueCrew, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    You are nuts.

The 1996 team fired Timo, got Friedel midseason, and won 9 of 10 (or 8 of 9?) at the end of the year to make the POs. We were the hottest team in the league at the end of the year. And I think the # of shootout wins was very low (1 or 2). Real wins.

2005 was a train wreck after we won the Shield the year before. 2021: we missed the POs after winning the Cup and bringing everyone back. 2010 was crushing, the end of Guille era. At least we made the POs, though (eff you, Conor Casey). We won the Spoon in 2006.

Bill Archer and zman31 repped this.
  18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter's absolute loyalty to Nagbe is costing us games.

He should be pulled late game when we have the lead for fresh legs and more defense. Hairston last night. Other nights, he should come out instead of Morris/Artur.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We do not.

hangthadj repped this.
  20. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus

I clarified earlier. What I meant was in all the years I have been following this team. Yea there were some teams with worse records, but this current team is just MEH. Especially compared to salary differences since the early days. And yes that 96 season was the most epic run after Friedel came on board. I did not mean to intend the 96 team sucked...it was far from.

This team personality wise sucks from top to bottom. We have some people that are happy to be playing professionally and another group of people that just want their paycheck and go home. (I think the current buzzword is quiet quitting).

The other crap years like 2005 were usually just one or 2 players that made you go crazy. I didnt think we would see a team do more back passing than those 2004/2005 teams.

Now we have a new winner with the 2022 team.

[​IMG]

hangthadj repped this.
  21. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Look at the minutes , look at the quality outside the XI ……. Yeah we have lil to nothing

22. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Does he have a no trade clause becsuse if he won’t renegotiate, I would look for any possible way to dump his contract even if i have to pay a lot of it just to get him off thst DP spot

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not be that easy with the cap rules. I know in hockey, for example, you can dump a contract (buyout) but there's still a cap hit. MLS? Who knows--and that's MLS rules in a nutshell.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm more annoyed with Charlotte's first goal than their second. The first goal was some of the laziest defending I've ever seen. They advanced the ball about 70 yards without a challenge. The second goal was just the usual Crew late game shooting gallery. With nobody surprised when one of their many shots goes in the net.

25. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're nuts if you think he's going to do anything but collect his $1.8M next season. He's a family first guy, that's the kind of money you can use wisely to retire retire at 33, not retire from pro-soccer playing. I suppose he might consider a guaranteed 3 or 4 year $1M contract or something, but that likely hurts us a lot more in the long run than just moving forward with him for one more season. I suppose he'd take a buyout and walk away, but I don't see any way he renegotiates for less unless it actually is more total over a longer period.

Tobias C repped this.