Stewart?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by rtiemens, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Someone please refresh my memory . . . what is the status of Earnie's contract at the end of the season? Are we committed to carrying him and his huge salary for another year, or can DC cut him after this season?

2. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm 90% sure his contract runs out after this season. Last rumor (when I say rumor I don't mean I made it up by myself) I heard was he's probably done with MLS and going back to Holland, remember he grew up in Holland basically.

3. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
    i highly doubt that stewart will go back to play in holland. I wouldn't mind if he stayed with United as long as he took a BIG paycut.

4. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Before a big argument starts on if he's leaving or going, let me just say its a rumor, on bigsoccer, take for what it's worth.

5. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I think MLS or DC said publically Stewart signed a 2-year contract. And MLS usually announces any contract extensions for national team players. So, I don't think his contract expiring qualifies as a rumor.

Stewart's desire to play in Holland next year, though, may just be a rumor. I think that is was tmas was saying.

I don't expect Stewart to return without a major pay cut. The way I see it, Gros is a much, much better player (whether Nowak realizes it or not). Ernie ought to be on the bench, so he certainly doesn't deserve $200k. I don't think he's worth more than half of that to DC. I assume he can still get a decent salary in Holland.

6. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    For les autres, he can go back to Holland and not play soccer. He might even buy a house, plant a garden, have some little Ernies, etc.

--kravi

7. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    He already owns the house in Holland (and it may even have a garden) and has the little Earnies. I think he's ready to go back just based on what he said at meet the team day.

Me:"Earnie, you need to come out to an after party sometime before the season ends"

Earnie:"It's because of having a wife in kids in Holland."

Afterwards Susan and I were wondering if we misheard him and he said wife and kids from Holland. But I'm quite certain he said IN Holland.
    It made me wonder if his family mainly lives there.

8. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    Hmmmm. That's good to know. I had no idea that he had been allowed to reproduce. :D Go Ernie!

--kravi

9. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Wife and kids are here but wifes family is there. Believe one time he told me wife prefers living there to here.

10. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Insert obligatory joke about him shooting high and wide...

11. vincero

vincero New Member

Oct 8, 1999
    I did not see it mentioned elsewhere, but Stewarts post game comments to HDnet were telling/puzzling/good for people who do not like him.

Stewart said he was not happy with his current playing position, which he has basically played all year, and appeared overall to be unhappy. This was after he kicked the bench for being substituted.

What other position can he play with the current line-up where he would be happy. Forward-no,midfield-possibly more defensive?

The way I took it was that he is willing to and may want to leave. He is being subbed by capable, younger, and cheaper players, save Adu. He knows his contracted salary will be cut if he stays in DC. If he wants to play in a "preferred" position while maintaining a higher salary it appears his only option is to go to Salt Lake.

12. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    actually wife and kids stayed in holland this season. he was over that allstar break. yvonne is running in the NY marathon at the weekend.

13. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DONE.

14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stewart clearly isn't worth $200k but he has been playing very well lately and I don't blame him at all for being pissed when he was subbed out for EJ, especially when EJ lost every header he jumped for. Stewart plays great defense, doesn't panic in tight situations, makes intelligent runs (and expects teammates to do the same), and even shoots on frame from time to time. But he shouldn't pull down $200k.

15. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    Who is EJ? You mean Ezra?

--kravi

16. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    He must mean EZ because that's who came on for Earnie Saturday

17. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Who give a f if he's happy or not at this point. It's the playoffs. For all the talk about "team" this isn't the right time to b!tch about being substituted. The team was tied 0-0, up 2-0 aggregate, and it made some sense to bring in another defender and secure the series. EZ has 7 past years experience to Earnie's 1 he's paid his dues to play at the end of a playoff game:

http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/roster/index.jsp?club=dcu

I wonder where he thinks he can just "get off" like that. Try working at a real job for a living.

18. vincero

vincero New Member

Oct 8, 1999
    I agree with your sentiment and was not defending or suporting him in anyway. It was a bizarre interview after winning the game. He did go on to say several "team" supporting things, but overall I felt like his initial comments were an invitation to potential future suitors realizing his limited value to next years team. The only way he can be of value and make a decent sum would be for another team.

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I think we could need Earnie next year - He's too good of a versatile player - But not at the max salary - He's no longer starting material on DCU - A critical 1st or 2nd sub, but not consistent starter - So no longer the max salary

I think the best thing to do is to let him out there on the unprotected list - I think SLC would be foolish to pick him up at max salary - We'd still have him after the expansion draft, but then convince him into a salary cut -

Earnie - I think you're really good - But this is a business - And right now that means a salary cut

20. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    You're not familiar with Dave Checketts time with the Knicks, I take it?

21. Leon74

Leon74 New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Earnest Stewart is going to play for VVV-Venlo in Holland. This is the club where he started his professional career. Now at the end of the line he wants to finish it there. Earnie will sign for 1,5 years and settle in Holland.

22. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting.

23. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i can confirm this (i'm glad you said it, i've been holding this in for a while).

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Earnie. I hope that he leaves MLS on a high though! :)

25. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I for one will be sad to see Earnie go.
    I believe he has made a strong contribution, overall.
    While he doesnt dazzle, always, he brings an awful lot of heart and experience, and frequently has been a catalyst for others.

Mark