Stewart vs Olsen

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by kravi, Oct 19, 2004.

1. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    I can't believe that Nellie makes about 45K less than Petke! :mad:

I like Petke, but the team captain, and a better defender, should certainly be making at least as much... Weird.

--kravi

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I couldn't agree more. :(

3. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I believe Nellie is still on the contract he got out of Stanford, and why we're likely to have to pony up a lot more to re-sign him after this year. Petke's salary had to be based on what he was making with the Metros when he came here. It's a function of his being in the league longer. At the time, compared to Eddie Pope, he seemed cheap. Someone noted at the time that we got a player who was 80% of Pope in terms of ability for 50% of the cost -- a good deal.

4. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Sort of wiggled with your post :D

--I think Earnie boils down to the max salary issue, his lack of offensive production for two years now, and unlike Olsen (or to a lesser degree Dema) he has yet to (nor probably ever will) have a stand out season here.

We all love him to death as a player, but we have to think he has been a bit of a disapointment.

Even if he never has truly HURT this team on the field, we needed more help from Earnie.

5. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    Actually, I don't love him to death as a player. He used to be a good player. Now he has been mediocre, while earning maximum salary.

This season, he has been about as useless as the 'A' in his name.

6. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple answer.

Benny is DC United through and through, we got him to start his career and except for his brief loan to NF he's been here his whole career. He's battled his way back to the lineup after a series of devestating injuries, has the heart of a champion and bleeds Black and Red.

Earnie is a hired hand, a mercenary if you will. We brought him in for the end of his career to give us a short term boost ala Nowak or Stoichkov in Chi-town, but he hasn't delieverd the goods for the price we're paying. He may like DC or even love being here, but he isn't quite one of ours the way Beninho is. I like Earnie, but he isn't worth the money and if you ask me doesn't belong in our starting 11 this year (i'd liken his best usefulness to a Cobi Jones WC'02 sub to kill time at the end and that's about it).

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie needs to lower his salary to Olsen's level. And then his inability to score/make more goals would be tolerated and his other qualities which are just as valuable wouldn't be so ignored.

8. Tweaked

Tweaked Member

Jan 30, 2003
    The Hill
    Strokes makes more than Namoff???

9. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I correct in thinking that those salaries are from last year, and that there have been adjustments for 2004?

If not, Namoff is getting screwed.

10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    He is. Without question Namoff is severely underpaid. However, given Nelsen's comments at the awards (Namoff should be Defensive MVP), he is appreciated by his teammates. Payne & Kasper, do the right thing, give Namoff a big boost and make Stokes pay to play.

11. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, both NY goals Sunday could be traced to defensive mistakes by Earnie. While the D-mids were helping out Freddy a lot more than Earnie, the first goal sequence originated IIRC when Earnie played a ball right to Gaven.

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm thinking about a few seconds after you, but there was a fould at midfield. Maybe it was Earnie trying to win the ball back, and the Metros ran a quick restart/throughball to Gaven, that just found the defense all out of shape.

13. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    I think you are stretching a little bit. If you go back long enough, every goal can get blamed on someone, which is why we usually only blame someone if there is direct causality, and I don't think there was.

--kravi

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Unless you're related to him or his friend or something, why someone would be dying for Earnie to come back is beyond me

He never was a fit here IMO. He's probably better off in Holland where they play his kind of game, good luck to him, I don't expect him back next year but you never know.