Steven Vitoria joins....

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Resendes, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    Ok buddy. Great post!! let's keep blaming the player. every time. Let's just keep doing that. I take it that will make you sleep better. And we keep doing time and time again. The situation does not change. Players are leaving. Why?? The ROOT of the problem are the provincial associations and the CSA. Keep clipping the leaves, that's getting you somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

2. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    I agree with you, there are problems with the CAS and Provincial associations. But still you have to be loyal to your country and not run away because you where overlookd as a youngster.

Vittoria will not get 1 minute on the field in this U-20. Is that better than being a starter on Canada's team?

3. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    I too would like have all the players choose Canada and give this country a shot at doing something on the world stage. But getting angry and blaming the Vittoria's accomplishes NOTHING!!! Channel your energies elsewhere.

Look to the root of the problem. Not the symptom.

4. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    So I guess what your saying is just give up. Dont bother to accept a challenge. Just take your ball and go home.
    I guess being a soccer whore is ok by you.
    This kid was born here grew up here learned his soccer here. Does all the time Canadian coches put into him for 18 years mean nothing?

Hey the likes of him Hargraves, Possibly De Guzman. # nice pieces for us. SHame they have no respect for the country that raised them.

5. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    Wake up. grow up.

6. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    Grow up. Please. It was nice to see him get 60 minutes. I am happy he played last night. Just think that he should play for the country that taught him the game and the country that he was born in. Running away from problems is not going to solve anything. One thing I am very certin is that he will never play for the senior team.

7. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    You're lack of understanding of the issues plaguing soccer in Canada at the international level is astounding. If you even had a hint of what is wrong you would not post such dribble.

I'm done with you.

8. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    There's no point shooting the kid down like some on the forum are. He probably won't play for the Portuguese senior team in his career and maybe he should've kept his allegiances with Canada, but I'm pretty sure the reason he decided to play for the Portugal U-20 team is that it does add to his curriculum as a player in Portugal and it gives him a better opportunity to make as a footballer. U-20's are not highly regarded in Europe, but still he's able to take coaching from a manager like Jose Couceiro who's coached at the top level in Portugal and he's able to practice and train with the top players in his age group.

He's talked in some interviews, it looks like he's having the time of his life playing here for Portugal and he's got some playing team. Speaking as someone with a Portuguese background, I'm almost 100% sure the problem is not the soccer associations, it's the simple fact that playing in the Portuguese Superliga is a dream for a lot of us, even if he plays for Belenseses, Estoril or Setubal. Until the MLS reaches the level of the second tier of European leagues, the allure of going to where soccer is by far and away the number one sport will take kids to Europe. If you saw the De Guzmans' interview on CBC about the night and day difference in how soccer is treated here as compared to in Europe and how it basically capped Julian's development here, you'll understand the difference.

Would I like for Hargreaves and Jonathan De Guzman to play for Canada? Yes. Am I pissed off that they have hesitations? Yes. But I'm also realistic, you have to understand that every situation is different and that each player has to do what's right for him. In Steven's case, there's a huge difference in being a Canadian and a Portuguese U-20 player. He's now put in the class of Bruno Gama, the kids coming out of the Sporting Lisbon academy, Antunes, etc. In Julian de Guzman's case, playing for Canada means he's a player who plays internationally, it gives a certain prestige and trust me, Deportivo are very happy that he was the Gold Cup MVP.

It's a tough debate especially when you put your national allegiances in the middle, but the fact of the matter is that unless you're a top shelf prospect, you have to consider your club career first and the difference it makes on your resume when picking sides. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make my argument loud and clear.

9. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    I dont know were you get off. I know the Issues. I have been Involved in Soccer in this Country for over 40 years, Player coach manager. The problems with soccer here are well know. Its frustrating to see kids who have pimped our sytem. By that I mean had the syatem here put money and time into them to develop them and then the thank you, you get is them playing for a country they where not born in.

Dribble is what players do with a ball.

Dont attack people who are loyal Canadians.

10. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    It's as clear as mud. At least to me.

There is no argument or disagreement amongst the members here if going to Europe furthers one career. We all see this as a positive for the Canadian MNT. The issue is of choosing another country to play for and not Canada and why this seems to be a continuing problem here.

On the one hand you say Vitoria's decision to go to Portugal and play for them is great and that he basically had no other choice. Yet on the other hand you commend Julian De Guzman for choosing to play for Canada and that that decision furthered his career.

All I see is in the latter you made an argument that players should pick Canada, and not some other country, to play for.

11. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    I said I was done, and I know I am setting myself up here but ....

What is your background? (national, not soccer bg)
    Curious.

12. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    I'm in full support with you HRV, but just to clarify, when you have players that need to get better exposure by playing for national teams other than Canada, I can see how they can make that decision to further their career and make more money and vice versa if they want to play for Canada. Just like Steven playing U-20 for Portugal this year, just like with what Owen did last summer at the World Cup. Hargreaves grabbed a huge raise, he's now playing at Manchester United, he grabbed 10% of a huge transfer deal all by playing solid football for an underachieving national team.

On the other side, Julian would probably not get a significant look for a better national team if he did have that opportunity available to him, but playing well at the Gold Cup definitely improved his reputation. Just like Deco playing for Portugal (he was not highly regarded when he first played for Portugal) and just like Kuranyi playing for Germany. Their careers have been marked by what they've done for their national teams. The problem we have is that we are country that has a large immigrant population in which society allows them to proudly show off their heritage as opposed to blend in and we are not a soccer-first country.

13. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    My backround is soccer. I am Canadian, just like Vittoria!

14. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    Good answer. I specifically did not ask about soccer background.
    A master at avoidance and truly shows your immaturity.

If you are Canadian, then your bloodline comes from somewhere.

15. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    What does my bloodline have to do with Vittoria being a soocer whore.
    He was in our program, but was stuborn and would not play in defence.He fancied himself a striker. When he went to Portugal they asked him to move to defence, He did and then started to progress. Funny he would not listen to Canadian coaches, but bends over like a lap dog for the Ports.

16. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    Your bloodline has to do with you seeing or not seeing the REAL issues in play. And you even mentioning Vittoria as a defense in this post clearly shows you do not know the issues.

I also wouldn't listen to Canadian coaches but I would listen to Europeans when it comes to the beautiful game. This again shows how little you know of the issues!!

PS. Your hesitation of not answering my question tells me all I need to know. Done here.

17. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    What are you going on about. Someones bloodline has nothing to do with theier grasp of the issues. From What I gather you are from the former Yugoslavia, where people are still killing each other over stolen chikens from 500 years ago.
    Canadain coaches knew he was a defender, why did he have to hear it from the Ports to listen?

Our problems here are that the many nationalities that exist here are overlooked by the Anglo lead. CSA.?
    Its a old boys network. Untill it gets its head out of the ground Canadian siccer has a long way to go.

For you to suggest bloodline has anything to do with understanding the issues is ludicriss.

18. FC_HRV

FC_HRV New Member

May 14, 2007
    Toronto
    I was born in this country. My bloodline is evident in my handle. I don't evade.

Why does it take it the umtieth post to admit to that then. Anyway, my point about the bloodline is that most Anglos do not and will not admit to this simple fact. I personally woud like to see all Anglos in this country cease and desist (sp) from any involvement in soccer at any CSA or provincial level. They have lead fit here for x amount of years and it has gotten us nowhere. So much to the point that there is a disdain from many groups towards them. And that is part of the reason the Vittoria's play elsewhere.

19. 1TOFC

1TOFC Red Card

Jul 7, 2007
    Toronto
    Glad we are on the same page. I cant confirm this, I was told a U-20 team from Woodbridge, mostly Italian and Latino players laid a beating on the Canada U-20 team. I was told it was clear that 5-6 of the players on that team where far better than U-20 Guys. But got overlooked by the Anglo Biased CSA and OSA.

I am not a racist by any means but the Anglo Influence is killing us here.

20. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    comment by Forrest in his CBC blog expresses the Cdn football supporters view:

Moderate success has happened in spite of the system. Our best players (Edgar, Hutchison, Salteri, De Guzman, Peters, De Vos and Radzinski to name just a few) are all playing in Europe, but are there due to the support, encouragement and financial cost of their families and not by the Canadian Soccer Association.

It happened to me; the CSA didn't even know about me - I was in England due to my father's belief in me and persistent contact with certain clubs. But saying that, I never forgot my roots and was so honoured to be able to represent my country, and that includes at club level.

Some people in this country seem to think representing Portugal, England or Holland is more prestigious and in the world of football it is by standard of play. But players at top international level showed me their utmost respect for playing for my country of birth, wherever that may be. I'm remembering comments from fellow teammates like Vialli, Zola, Lebeouf, Margas, Marc Vivian Foe and Gullit.

It is almost expected that wherever you come from you represent your country. End of story.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/fifau20/blog-forrest/2007/07/a_turning_point_in_canadian_so.html

21. I-Coach

I-Coach New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    hey Joe you are some sic Country Man ... get over his there ... regardless where's his playing ... I got your point ... but you didn't when he went thru your lousie system ... Steve would do well for your country Joe ... but again you over looked Steve ...Buy.

22. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    This thread more than ran its course. Closed.