Steve Sampson?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by nikefan, Nov 14, 2004.

1. nikefan

nikefan New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    RIC
    i know this is a bit late, but how did sampson get a job, let alone the LA job? Following two great runs with the US and costa rican national teams he gets the job of a team that is in first place? How many managers around the world have been replaced while in first place in the table?

If anything let him broadcast not coach.

2. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people guess that he was hired so that the Goats (Chivas USA) would not get him since he's a Spanish speaker.

3. nikefan

nikefan New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    RIC
    I'm shocked that people still want him so soon after he failed, again.

4. hackattack

hackattack New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    U.S.
    The Galaxy should have let Chivas get him, that way it would be CHIVAS that would have the coach who doesn't know his head from his ass. The Galaxy aren't going anywhere with that numbnuts in charge.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It was a move that will never make sense to me. Sampson makes Andrulis look like a genius. What was Costa Rica thinking as well? My neighbor also speaks Spanish, but that doesn't mean he should be coaching world-class soccer.

6. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    So instead they take Rongen.

7. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    ILMFAO :)

What do Sampson and Wrongen have in common?

Both coached good US teams to embarassing international performances long after proving they couldn't coach.

Thankfully, we don't have to listen to Sampson in the broadcast booth - Wrongen has been an annoying presence on DCU telecasts for a couple of years. I'll be rooting for him to last as Chivas because it's the only way to keep an intellegent and affable (and totally ineffective) ex-coach from being an annoying presence in games on tv.

8. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    The people want him?????

Who's people ?....Whoever in USA that think that Steve Sampson could coach a professional soccer does not have the remote idea about soccer culture....
    This COACH CARROUSEL philosophy could derrail soccer as a professional sport, and the worst part of it, is that MLS is not aware of the situation and still many mediocre coaching keep disinchanting new fans into abandon the sport ....

9. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Re: The people want him?????

Just to keep some rationality in the discussion - EVERY sport/league/organization has a coaching carousel - look at the EPL or NFL or whatever.

Any fan soccer loses over the coaching carousel isn't much of a sports fan (forget about soccer) in the first place.

Also, I think we should all find it encouraging that someone like Sampson is able to stay off welfare and remain gainfully employed. Plus he's coaching the LA Galaxy - do you really want THEM to win? :rolleyes:

10. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles

Uh......yes.

11. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . . .

Now you get to find out how long it takes an MLS ownership group to admit a mistake (hint - it's a lot longer than you'd think) :cool: