Steve Fossett Missing

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by art, Sep 4, 2007.

1. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Hope he's OK, but he's basically an egomaniac.

4. Tom and Jerry

Tom and Jerry Red Card

Aug 16, 2007
    The man has been highly wreckless and irresponsible in the past. hopefully he's safe but its not looking good...

5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know what axes you two might have to grind with the guy but ive met him on a couple of occasions and know people who have worked with him in various projects and in my experience he was always extremely polite and humble, and a genuine hero in the international yachting community as well as in aviation circles. He did the things he did for the right reasons, because they hadnt been done before, and because he could, and even when he failed he was always moving forward.

IMHO he's one of the good guys.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wonder if he flew into Area 51?

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    He may be a great guy and I hope he's ok. That said, I'm totally against aviation as a hobby or sport because it often ends up like this.

8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

I had this argument back in 2002 when he went around the world:

Please tell me what "right reason" there is for spending millions advancing balloon technology?

Is the world going to suddenly revert 200 years in aviation because of some new technology that allowed this guy to circle the globe?

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose "millions" were spent? Here in the U. S. America, we get to spend our own money on pretty much whatever we want.

10. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I bet he got tagged right in the heart by a Desert Stingray.

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    sad somebody has gone missing, but that sort of thing happens when you allow your ego to guide you into extremely dangerous aviation territory.

12. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man you guys are brutal. if you had craptons of money what would you do about it? lock yourself in a mansion and white knuckle the rest of your days hoping no one came and took it away from you?

personally I dont give a crap about Fossett the aviator, I'm a sailor, and Steve Fossett holds 21 world records in the sport of sailing. He's a ********ing hero in that world, and sailors, anyway, are very upset about this. The rest of you can go die in a fire for the conscern you show.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm sorry you are angry and moreso that he's still missing, but I feel his aviation adventures were far too dangerous and I really don't want them encouraged.

Sailing, while it has its dangers, is a reasonable activity.

14. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Hes a Kobayashi level celebrity.

I dont like these guys who set off on their perilous stunts (current situation doesnt qualify) without adequate prearranged rescue and expect any freighter within 500 miles to rush to their rescue.

15. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, remind me not to invite any of you guys on anything so much as a camping trip, you'll never actually go into the woods for fear of getting lost.

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

First, there is nothing to suggest he was doing anything inherently dangerous here. He was going out for a three hour VFR flight. Second, I will let the sailors chime in here but I think some of the around the world sailing stunts are probably far more dangerous than his balloon or plane flights.

17. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not really, thanks for the thought though.

Chris M is right, his sailing adventures, particularly the no-rules round the world race in 2000 where he built probably the most extreme sailboat ever to sail any long distance at all, is far far more dangerous than anything he ever did in an airplane or balloon.

But so what? He knew the risks, he took the chances, and he was criticized much like you all are criticizing him now, yet he's helped advance the sport of sailing and science of sailboat design enormously, same (I presume though i dont know) with airplane design.

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me amongst those who appreciate what he's done and hope to see him found soon.

As I was reading the story I couldn't help but think of all the tiny, stupid **** people on Google Earth have found. Obviously Google Earth is based on images that are not current, but if it was possible to rescan the area they're looking for him in in a reasonable amount of time, I would bet dollars to donuts that he or his plane would be located within hours of the information being provided.

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Obviously, you can take ridiculous risks in any vehicle, but I object to glorifying aviation stunts because I believe that activity should be (almost exclusively) limited to commercial and military purposes.

20. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why? That's absurd.

21. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It's not absurd to have restrictions on highly dangerous recreational activities.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Are you talking about private aviation? I don't have statistics but there are tens of thousands of private flights every day with very few incidents. I wouldn't call that a dangerous recreational activity.

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    an excellent sailor, yes, and is to be commended on his accomplishments.
    but, in this situation, he chose to fly into winds which, on their bad days, are known to be troublesome.

24. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever hear of hookers and blow? THAT's how you go out when you've got a "crapton" of money.

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that modern aviation is where it is today largely because of private citizens engaged in "aviation stunts"?