Steve Davis' article on DaMN

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Balonpie, Oct 19, 2004.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    All I remember is a bunch of 20 minutes of boring "whatever you do don't lose the point" soccer. It wasn't as if both teams were going all out for the win for another 20 minutes. In a life or death match, like in a knockout competition (Playoffs, USOC, World Cup) I can dig overtime....beats the hell out of penalty kicks. But for the regular season, when most road teams are playing to reserve the draw, I don't see the point. The A league still has overtime in regular season games. I watched a bunch of those games this season on FSW.....talk about excrutiantingly looooooong. You could tell the players just wanted to hear the freaking whistle already.....after the first 5 minutes of overtime most of them are physically spent....they certainly aren't charging ahead for the winning goal.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS' overtime was only 10 minutes, and it got a winner about a quarter of the time.

To me, the best part of overtime (and really, the ONLY good thing about the shootout) was that it encouraged a bit more positive play from teams late in matches because it made it harder for teams to lock in a draw. I gotta say, I had my fill this season of teams' closing up shop after the 80th minutes because they were headed for a road draw.

3. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    I like it for the same reasons.
    But gosh, you know, they don't do it in Europe.

4. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Don't you mean Thomas Whiteskin?