Steve Davis' article on DaMN

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Balonpie, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/soccer/

Reading this article I was stunned by something that caught my attention.

Davis writes...
    "Elliott will recommend that Clarke remain in charge as FC Dallas assumes its 20,000-seat Frisco stadium next spring. But the Hunt Sports Group ownership has a say, too, and meets after this week to cement decisions on personnel issues."
    This may be a dumb question....
    Doesn't GE have the authority to hire or fire whomever he so wishes to manage the club? Traditionally a GM is given boundaries and salary considerations and as long as he/she stay within the threshold he/she can do what is necessary to get the job done. Why does GE have to check w/ Wagner in order to keep CC ? My question is more related as to who is making the calls on personnel rather than keep or fire CC... GE or Wagner?

2. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is Wagner and HSG have veto power over all decisions and the coaching position is one where they would choose to use it.

Just like they over-ruled Andy Swift and moved to Southlake.

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well....perhaps they are considering changing the entire leadership....in other words Clarke AND Elliott. In that case they would make the call.

4. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: I dont't like your answer for it's begining to confirm a bad feeling.

5. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not think that CC nor GE jobs are in jeopardy based solely on this lame duck season. I'm sure their spots are secure due to Frisco the end all cure for all maladies.
    Makes me think why do we need a GM if in essence the club is being run by a Junta? There is a very elemental paradigm in the military and which is called "Unity of Command". There can only be one leader. Two or more and you get dissention. Only one person should be held accountable. This org. chart makes GE a puppet.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I guess Elliott would be more of a day to day operations guy and the HSG Junta makes all the bigger strategic decisions. This is what I assumed went on before I read this article anyway.

7. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I presume the same as you and Northside. This might be the reality. The HSG Junta is making decisions that should be left up to someone that knows what they are doing. I'm not insunuating that GE knows soccer and that Wagner doesn't. I'm suggesting whoever is in power should have a pretty good idea of running a club in their particular sport. If HSG want to extend its sports ownership tentacles to all sports they should have a person that knows that particular sport and the biz behind the same. Those individuals ought to be in charge not just held puppets...in my opinion.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's the same way in Columbus, Clark Hunt and Lamar had a big say in keeping Andrulis after last season. Obviously it has paid off so far despite very, very early results and fans displeasure at that time.

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, its their team, their money and ultimately, their decision. I agree with you, that in order to run a succesful team you must leave the bulk of decisions up to the GM. If a coach knows that the GM doesn't hold the power how is that GM supposed to assume the role of the coach's superior? I guess the H(j)unta feels differently.

10. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% Correct. It is their club and they can run it any way they so wish. Like you, I do not agree it's the six sigma way to run an organization.

11. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Ages ago, I used to casually listen to Sports Talk Show Host Randy Galloway. He used to have particular distaste for "meddling ownership". His point being that the professional management should make the on the field product decisions. We watched with horrified amusement at how meddling ownership and catastrophic results went hand in hand in various DFW sports. Galloway was right.

This all begins to make sense now. HSG will not hire a knowledgeable GM or a strong coach because this team serves a purpose. The Burn are some spoiled rich boys toy. Kind of like you and I might play Fantasy Football or some such game. Real soccer people would not accept these jobs.

I am beginnning to see that some spoiled brat probably took a vacation to the UK, and decided that he would like to see the same thing here. Never mind the existing market. I don't doubt that they probably envision a fish and chips pub -- an so on. Euro Disney for little anglo kids. Too boot, this person can select uniforms that looked like Manchester Utd, pack the roster full of Euro retreads, get a Euro coaching staff. The Burn have kind of become what happens to a rich housewife's game room when she gets bored. You know, they sometimes redecorate with a sea motif, or a western motif, or a 60's diner look. Well, our cute little Burn were redecorated as a English team from the 1970's.

Well I am afraid that if my theory is correct, you guys are in for a lot more humiliating times. Your best hope, is that the real decision maker takes up a new hobby. Maybe buy a car racing team, or breed horses, or buy a foo-foo dog and take it to shows. Whatever it takes, just get your fingers out of the kitchen when it comes to soccer.

Oh yeah, you still need to find a replacement for Andy Swift and Dave Dir. Years have passed and we are still waiting.

12. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Mmmmm, fish'n'chips pub :p
    That would be the best decision HSG ever made. A Taquiera would be nice too.

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Theodore - are you a CD Chivas USA fan?

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    What a surprise.....I don't agree with you, Theo. If HSG simply wanted a "euro style plaything" why would they bother owning three different MLS clubs? Couldn't they achieve this goal with just one club? Either they believe MLS ownership is an investment with the potential for large gains in the long term OR they wish to support professional soccer in the US. Simply because their idea of what pro soccer in the US doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean they are "euro snobs" or "evil profiteers".

15. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I am skeptical of any venture captained by Thomas Wrongagain.

16. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Well I've got to openly admit that I am purely speculating when I say this, but who exactly is HSG? With out a doubt, you probably have a loyal bean counter to the old man with loads of power who has been saddled with the task of having to babysit as one of Lamar's sons pretending to a be pro sports manager. A couple of accountants and a lawyer or two to round out the team. This is daddy's summer cottage for one of the sons. You know, the place that Dad won't get too upset if it gets trashed. Party on young son. Dad is going to have one heck of a mess to clean up.

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    But that doesn't really answer my question, does it? Why bother having three teams if all they want is a plaything for Jr. or a eurostyle toy? If its just a place to lose money and keep young Clark busy then they could achieve that by owning KC and nothing else. Doesn't make sense, does it, Theo? Maybe......and I know this is real hard for you to admit......you are wrong in your assement of HSG's interest in soccer.

18. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When running an HSG team almost everything has to be approved bu HSG or even higher. And that includes coaching and player moves (See Adu thread).

19. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theo is half right this time.

I agree. See Tom Hicks.

this is where I think you start to go wrong.

I think it was a World Cup that turned Hunt onto soccer. He started back with Dallas Tornados.

But it's not run as a play toy, it's run as a attempt to reproduce the magic of the NFL in the 50s. Hunt has always tried to "Americanize" the sport and sell it here. He keeps trying and trying to get this sport to blow up the way the NFL blew up in the 60 and 70s... Up to today. He is trying to catch lightning in a bottle a second time. He is less concerned with players and performance as he is with the business plan and breaking even so he can grow the team.

And on a certain level it works.

But on another level many decision are made with the bottom line and not with competitiveness in mind.

20. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well I don't think it works worth a damn but I think you are right in your assesment of what HSG is trying to do.

Let's face it MLS is not going to explode anywhere. Especially if the game is changed. It will lose respect from the outside world & since it is not one of the traditional American sports that means it will fade away.

Now if the owners in MLS choose to focus on making this league a legitimate soccer league & concentrate on attracting the people who already know & love soccer then it will grow slowly & surely. It won't replace NFL, MLB or NBA but it will find it's own profitable place.

Sure newbies have to be attracted but not if it means compromising the game. The league will not survive unless it is focussed first on attracting 20-40 yr old males who already know the game.

I'm sure Lamar loves the game but I fear he (& the rest of HSG, & plenty of people high up in MLS for that matter) thinks he can sell soccer rather than just present it in the best way possible.

21. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I really think the Powers To Be in MLS are trying to do both, Jonno. Only its a lot easier to pander to the MiniVan crowd and market yourself as a "entertainment option" for families then it is to attract the 20-40 year old male. In order to get the adult male you have to correct misconceptions about the sport of soccer that have been in place for generations. And with the marketing budget available to MLS this is not a reasonable task. So they've made the wise decision to do away with much of the actual gameplay that didn't synch up with the rest of the soccer world. No more shootouts, no more overtime. And they've set about attempting to attract new fans through youth.

22. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to texgator again

Bastards! ;)

23. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I think MLS WILL explode, in L.A., 4/05.

well i chatted with an hispanic fellow wearing red and black Sat. after the game. as you might fear, but expect, he didn't think he was gonna make it up to Frisco too often (his tone of voice implied 'never')---he lives 5 miles from the Cotton Bowl.

fwiw, espn 'sport center' had one of Eddie Johnson's goals against Panama (the "several headers in a row" one) in it's Top 10 plays: the audience for that show is the 20-40 yr. old male that Jonno points out should be MLS' target. just need to multiply that coverage by 100,000%, doofus will then think he's watching something

24. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I also spoke to someone who said he probably wouldn't make it up to Frisco next year (he had been coming to games in the Cotton Bowl for a number of years) & he was caucasian & had a young kid. Think I might've at least got him to think about it again though.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that this a bit off-topic, but while I understood very well why shootouts sucked (Hey, watching a zillion of them over four years will do that for you.), I've never understood people's objections to overtime.

To me, it was up to 10 minutes of bonus soccer, and hey, you might get a winner out of it, which is [Herm Edwards]why you play the game[/Jets are 5-0 for the first time ever]. I thought it was [Martha Stewart]a good thing[/Enjoy the big house].

Can somebody explain it to me?