News: Steve Bruce is out!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Oct 20, 2021.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just about closes the book on the Ashley era for me. Maybe Sports Direct signage will be the final curtain, but now I can put this behind me and pull for survival from relegation. I don't know about everyone, but the first couple of relegation fights were exciting to get out of. Once it was clear that we were there by design, I could only watch to see if Ashley would win his gamble each year. This year, it means something again.

Nice guy Bruce is moving on, complaining how he was never given a chance by the majority of supporters, but with his pockets stuffed with cash from a inside deal with Ashley. He was always Ashley's man. This was never his dream job, as he had put that behind him as a player and Mackem manager. It really exposes how the media plays favorites with people they like. Now, all the media attention that we are suddenly getting does not have to focus on their pal.

So, another welcome for us all to the new Newcastle United. The low expectations for the next manager - but not too low - will make their next selection a truly optimistic occasion. Howay the Lads!

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Really hoping he is replaced by Erik ten Hag who is at Ajax.
    They are 3-0 in group play for the Champions League with a +10GD
    They lead the Dutch league and after 9 games are +30GD.
    Other than his first year, they have won the league every ear and their lowest GD for 34 games is +79.

He definitely utilizes the attacking football so many Newcastle fans love.

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually hoping for someone who knows how to defend, since we've allowed the most goals in the league.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Ajax has given up two goals in nine games.
    Last year, they gave up 23 in 34- lowest in the league

5. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Ten Hag is a very good manager, but Newcastle would need a big overhaul to achieve what he would want. He would be risking a lot if he were sign up tomorrow. An option available in the summer most likely.

Benitez claims that he will stay Everton. I don't doubt him on that.

Lampard and Fonseca are being seriously linked to the job. Those are risky considerations to say the least.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Isn't that what we are expecting?

7. Ten Hag's dream club is Bayern. Apart from that he's on the watch/wish list of the superclubs in Europe with squads that only need tweaking, not complete overhauls while being in an environment with decades of questionable board decisions.
    He has built a reputation and it's not likely he's going to jeopardize that with signing for Newcastle United.

8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    @Sport Billy

I think an overhaul would have to wait until the summer is what I meant. The winter transfer period is a difficult time to make significant changes. I can't imagine he takes over mid-season.

Bayern are very stable and well run. I can see why ten Hag is eyeing that job, but Nagelsmann should be there for a long time to come.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Cash does some amazing things.

10. You think the superclubs pay peanuts?

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Are there superclubs with more money than we have now?

12. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems such a bizarre conversation to be having. I mean. Cogntively "Yeah we can pay what the super clubs pay now probably." But my emotional brain still has a hard time wrapping my head around that fact.

It's like "what strange alternate universe did we enter where NUFC can consider spending like that?"

Sport Billy repped this.
  13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Unai Emery?

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Why wouldn't a top level coach come here?

- You have the money to buy the players you want.
    - If you make Newcastle a winner, not only will you be a legend, you can go anywhere you want after that.

15. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It seems to me Newcastle were hoping to hire someone similar to Rafa Benitez and the closest match they could find to him was Emery.

Emery has been at the top level with PSG and Arsenal. In both cases he inherited squads whose potential he couldn't maximize. I like the man and his record of winning the Europa League is hugely impressive, but I felt he was overwhelmed once he made the step up to a big club. I'm not sure he's the best fit for Newcastle, but if he has a blank canvas to work with and can sign the players he wants, maybe he can achieve something outside of Spain and at what is fast becoming a big club.

16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Howe was in attendance today.

17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Looks like the right fit to lead the club at this time.