Steamers?

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by SteveUSSF_ref8, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the greatest St. Louis soccer name of all: National Slug Rejectors.

2. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I don't know why we want to revive old, defunct team names. In my opinion, let those old teams' history stay with them and create something new.

I especially dislike "Steamer." Yes, it has history, but I agree with @SiberanThunderT. As a millennial, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Steamer" is something other than steamboats. I'd prefer leaving the "Steamer" moniker open for Cleveland's MLS team. ;)

Ultimately, I don't care what the name is. I just want a team.

3. Impactsupporter

Impactsupporter New Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    what about St. Louis Spirit? Honor to the Spirit of St-Louis.

Just a thought.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Definitely has potential! "Spirit" sounds more like a WoSo team than a BroSo team to me, though, but that might just be from my knowledge base, knowing three "Spirit" WoSo teams (San Diego in WUSA, Tulsa in WPSL, and Washington in NWSL) but no "Spirit" BroSo teams (even at the PDL/NPSL level).

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    IIRC, it's a modified Boatmen's Bank logo as the owner was with the bank

6. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Surely I'm not the only one here old enough to remember the old ABA team, Spirits of St Louis?

Roger Allaway repped this.
  7. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ABA team never survived the merger. Like the Kentucky Colonels, they were not wanted by the NBA, so their owners were bought out. May as well also mention the St Louis Hawks, a great NBA team, that stopped in St Louis for a dozen years or so, on their way from Milwaukee to Atlanta. And of course, the St Louis Browns, who in the soldier depleted year of 1944, lost to the St Louis Cardinals in the WS.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ABA? NBA? MLB? I thought this was a soccer forum. X-D

9. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    It is. And we're just trying to come up with something other than yet another FC or United.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To which I say
    I think we're fine just looking at original names or past soccer names without quoting defunct teams from completely different sports!

11. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an original name of a current SL team from a different sport:
    http://uschessleague.com/stlouis.php

12. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are a couple more crest ideas if they wanted to bring back the NASL Stars name.

Saint Louis Stars_logo.png

Saint Louis Stars.png

falvo and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  13. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    Ok. I know I'm waaaaaaay off topic here; but.....the Seattle chess team was called the Sluggers?

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never realized that Stan Musial owned the Steamers for 4 years. They actually had pretty good numbers at the gate. At least for the indoor game....

upload_2016-1-18_7-40-48.png

15. zcanes1

zcanes1 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    St. Louis
    Very well done, but they better run as far away as possible from the blue and gold combo. Those colors are being burnt across the metro area.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are there still hard feelings about this logo? Or has everyone forgotten after 29 years?

[​IMG]

17. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was always a fan of the St. Louis Athletica name used in the WPS. Their first game at SIUE was the first pro soccer game I ever attended.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Same for me, on both counts.
    Sad day, though; as I got home and was going to open my apartment door, I dropped my keys and my Athletica keychain fob just shattered, I assume from the cold weather. I'm more than a little crushed.

19. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about these colors?

Saint Louis Stars_logo.png

20. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about naming them "St. Louis Athletic S.C.":

St. Louis Athletic SC_logo.png

tallguy repped this.
  21. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Philadelphia MLS expansion team was announced in 2008, but before its name was chosen, the name Philadelphia Athletic was mentioned as one of the possibilities, as an homage to the Philadelphia Athletics baseball team, who moved away decades ago. The word at the time was that Lew Wolff, the owner of the now-Oakland Athletics (and the San Jose Earthquakes), was OK with the idea but that Major League Baseball was not.

I'm guessing that MLB might object to the use of the name in St. Louis, also.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And if they object... So what? Unless they have a distinctly solid copyright infringement claim they can make, which I doubt because there's never been a "St. Louis Athletics" baseball team for the name to invoke, the MLS team could be whatever it wants. It's not like there aren't multiple Cardinals or Giants in pro sports already.

That said, I don't like Athletic. For one, "Athletica Soccer Club" or "Athletic Sports Club" feels kinda redundant to me, even if literally it isn't. Second, we already had an "Athletic Club" by itself here already, and I don't think it would be enjoyed by many people to revive something too similar to that name. (Not to mention we had "Athletica" as well for the women, and though that has mostly positive associations, it still might also be a reason to avoid the name.)

23. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You probably are right, and MLS could win a trial against MLB over the name. However, if MLB did object and MLS were faced with the need to go to court to win the right to use the name, I would think that MLS would simply use a different one, avoiding the legal fees and the hassle. One more reason, in addition to the ones you cite, why St. Louis Athletic would not be a good idea.

In the case of Philadelphia Athletic(s), I think MLB did have a legitimate copyright claim.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't speak for everyone else, but I know my dad, who moved to KC in 1980 STILL hates the Cardinals for leaving St. Louis.

25. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would it matter? Their is no trademark for using the word "St. Louis Athletic SC". But there is a trademark on "Oakland Athletics". In the eyes for the court they are completely different.

tallguy repped this.