Stay Tuned to FC New York

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by R0bbyB0ggio87, Aug 17, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    FCNY wants to build a SSS in Queens. Where I'm not sure of but that's their game plan.

2. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    the way fcny is being runned they wont be around to buy meer hammers for a construction job in the future......

3. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta agree with you here. Regardless of building a stadium, this spot seems perfect for a temporary solution. In fact, any of NYC's SSS or multi-purpose would do.

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I couldnt see the article unfortunately. How about the area by the Maspeth Creek, I heard a few years ago that they wanted to clean it up and redevelop some of the brownfields in the area? Any possibilities there?

6. moeron15

moeron15 New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Iowa City
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this same thought every morning when I drive over the Triboro on my way to work.... Seems like a perfect location for the time being.

7. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    it seems but its not there is only one road to get into that dump it really has no public transportation and for some one that may not have a car its not even worth the trip...it might as well be in mont clair NJ

8. RBNYSupporter4Life

Nov 26, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus - if you've ever been to Randall's Island - the place just stinks. I mean, putrid, awful, pungent stench. Add to that the cost of laying new surface for a field (because the whole thing is essentially a rock quarry with a prison on it), and it seems more economically viable for FCNY to play at an established site...are they still talking Shuart Stadium at Hofstra? With a capacity of 13,000, it's probably the best scenario...

9. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally wrong. I live in Manhattan and don't own a car but I can be at Randalls Island in about half an hour on foot. Significantly less on bike. You can set up ferries and stuff to take people. And there is some kind of bus that goes there as well. Or you could set up buses for game days. It would be really cool actually.

10. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Come to NASL...

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is a fantastic location - I am not sure why a team does not utilize this.

I will say that after FC first came out - the mentioning - I did contact them - I thought maybe we could start a campaign to make FCNY's home ground Icahn stadium - I really feel like they cuold have had a great situation there but the people of icahn said that they are strictly track and field now.

I think a team would have to pay a good amount to redo and put a pitch back in. But This site is a great location!

Cosmos - as per your ? - i have no idea what they plan for the Maspeth Creek stuff.

12. megade3

megade3 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact

+1 (from Montréal.......):D

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ...sorry, he's not wrong. I grew up in Queens, lived in Manhattan, and played at Randall a hell of a lot. Inside the stadium and outside.

It's considered a major pain in the ass to get to, whether in Manhattan or Brook/Queens. It is right in a major traffic hotspot also. There is a bad stigma connected with Randalls and I understand why.

Soccer has tried there. Old A League, Cosmos, semi pro teams, leagues, tournies, friendliess...

...they don't work. People don't want to go. I haven't been there in a dozen years either. I can't imgaine how much worse it has gotten.

He's right. 100% right.

14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    IMO Randall's Island could be a phenomenal location. But it would require massive investment from the city and from an owner.

The location is difficult from a transit point of view, but not unworkable. You'd need ferries, busses, bike paths, etc. None of that really exists now, but it wouldn't be impossible. From a driver's perspective, it's fine. The RFK bridge isn't nearly the worst place to see the city from behind a steering wheel.

You'd need to essentially rip out Icahn stadium and replace it with a functional facility. Something like Crew Stadium or BMO Field would be great there. And it's currently a virtually unused space in a location that the city would very much like to develop. They were trying to get a water-park in there a couple of years ago, but I think that the financial meltdown ended that dream. Another good thing is that, without any permanent residents you don't have the same NIMBY backlash that Atlantic Yards and other developments have had to deal with.

But the environmental clean up and infrastructure improvements that would be necessary would make any project cost-prohibitive in an economic climate where the state is virtually bankrupt and the city not too far behind. And who will build the stadium? A minor-league soccer team? Not a chance.

I'd say probability is hovering around 0%.

15. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with Wile on the pain it is to get there but you dont think a USL club would not do OK there? I mean do you think it can be worse than HOFSTRA?

I hear your point - it is not easy to get there - but I mean the club can run shuttles from the city and pubs in Queens and make it easier.

MLS will not work there - but USL - smaller club - i think it can draw a few K a game there and do well!

What it really comes down to if people want to get there they will get there- if you put a concert there people will make it (Remember the Guinness Fleadh back in the late 90s) was there for some of them, people found their ways, without cars!

The way football is growing - and if the team does it right working with pubs like Nevadas, demseys, and bars in the big soccer areas in queens, they can do OK there!

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ...and that is the problem IMO. Queens is so fractured with regards to soccer. I just don't think putting a "pro" team there would work. NYC is way to "snobbish" (for lack of a better term) IMO. The Centaurs thought the same way and what a mess that turned out to be. To many little kings with conflicting agendas and pride in their own team.

I do believe that convienence is a needed factor. Randalls is just to hidden.

Early on I said I had doubts because the location just isn't there. Combine that with the general attitudes of the basic fan in the area I remember, it has been several years, and I just don't see enough hardcore will.

Sorry, I hate to say that, but I can't deny what I know.

The shame of all shames of course is that I do know that a team would have a much greater chance of succeeding/thriving in a place like Flushing, but that is a dream.

It is what it is here, and it will take something momentous and grand to change it IMO. Not happy to say that. Just what I think. It's a tough nut to crack.

17. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hey - fair point - i understand - and I agree with you on a lot of your points!

The centaurs is a good example i guess im just hopefull that the game has come a long way since then and that more people might want to make an effort. Why I think a USL team might do OK there. I could be wrong but i dont think we will ever find out - as i said - Icahn is purely Track and Field now!

However, I feel that NY is a pro sports town and I feel that the only situation that would really have a shot at working (on a grand scale) is an MLS side in Willets Point -

1) because Willets Point to me is the only location that can fit a stadium 30K and is accessible enough that people will make it out to

2) because with so many options, why would they go see a team that is in a MINOR league, they would want MLS!

just my opinion!

18. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, flushing is the ideal place and Willets Point would be great.
    But is Willets Point available at all ?

19. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    I don't think Randall's Island is a bad place to put a team. I've also played there and went to see the Centaurs (once, my wife and I still joke about it), so I've got some familiarity with it. It's got the advantage of being very centrally located with easy highway access. It's not too hard to drive there from any of the 5 boroughs or from LI, Westchester or even Jersey. But it's got no subway and that's a disadvantage.

Like someone else said, if people really want to get there, they'll find a way. I'm not sure how the track meets at Icahn draw, but there is a pretty full schedule of events there, suggesting that Icahn is a successful venue. Also, there apparently are new turf soccer fields on Randalls Island and I know there's a youth tournament there in the spring and I read some very favorable feedback from people who went. The trick with Randalls Island is to put something there that people really want to get to. The Centaurs sure weren't that something, and I don't think that a minor league team would work. But if Mike Bloomberg or Hank Steinbrenner or someone of that level of financial clout woke up one day and decided they wanted to buy into MLS and were willing to pony up a few hundred million for a soccer stadium/concert venue right in the heart of NYC, I think Randall's Island would work.

20. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The citys plan is to redevelop Willets point which is mostly illegal chop shops at the moment. So there is a chance.

21. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The RFQ for Willets Point is due for sometime in the next week or two - right now there is no set plan on WHAT is going to be built there - there was talk of a convention center

http://www.getstuckin.com/2009/10/rfq-verbiage-what-can-be-built.html

ACTUAL VERBIAGE FROM THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENTS WEBSITE

"The City is contemplating moving forward with a staged development strategy for Willets Point that will first focus on the southwest portion of the District that includes approximately 18 acres of development area and streets and about four acres of an interim buffer zone. The maximum development for this area includes 980,000 square feet of destination and entertainment retail; 2,000 units of mixed income housing; 500,000 square feet of office space; 400 hotel rooms; a school; and open space and parking. "

The bolded verbiage leaves the door open for a stadium

22. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't sat that. It's not true. They aren't illegal chop shops. They only became illegal when someone became interested in redeveloping WP.

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Correction. Everyone knows that there is abundant illegal activity going on there but have let it slide because there were no plans for the area - I myself have had a couple of quickie repairs done there because you just knwo they can get whatever you want when you need it - at a very reasonable price:D;).

Now, if big money wants the land and wants to do something with it, it makes all the sense in the world to exploit this illegal problem/activity.

24. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are all the shops closed up? Will be interesting to see the car theft numbers in queens in the next year or two - bet they decrease!

25. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right: it is a nightmare to get to...BY CAR! By bike, foot (if you're on the east side or even Astoria) and public transport it's a breeze. ESPECIALLY if you set up a gameday bus/van service of some sort. They DO have bike paths leading there now and a ferry would make it easier still.

From what I understand the issue is USL doesn't accept Icahn as a proper soccer field. Well screw them. NASL will if it means putting a team in the country's biggest market. So the field will be a bit narrow. Big woop. Did you see what the Kansas City Wizards have been playing on the last couple of years?

I'm sure the political/economic/logistical issues are great. No denying that. But compared to building a brand new stadium from scratch? I would think this a LOT easier.

Hell if/when I get laid off from my day job maybe I'll take it on myself.