States Rights: Reep hypocrisy on parade

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  3. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    This is a cop-out and you know it. "States rights" is the freakin' MANTRA of true conservatives, who feel that more decisions should be made at the local level.

4. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    and it's a code word for bigots except when invoked by the gay marriage advocates, right?

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot of practical truth to what you said. However, the reeps make states rights a major campaign issue.

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Yes. We're also responsible for the fall of Rome, the Hindenburg, AIDS, whooping cough, and the fact that Hershey doesn't sell $0.05 bars anymore.

We humbly beg for your forgiveness for making this a lousy world.

7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Write it down on a piece of paper, hold it up and take a picture, and then submit the picture here. Bonus points if you flip the bird in the picture. ;)

Edit to add: whoops, they're not accepting new submissions right now because their site is overwhelmed.

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??

Though I shouldn't be confused, considering the source.

9. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, because that's how the founding fathers felt about it too.

10. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yes, "states' rights" is a catch-phrase for bigots when it is used to trump individual rights. The 9th and 10th Amendments are both important, not just the 10th. And it can be claimed that the 9th is more important, and that is why it comes before the 10th and not the other way around. In the past, some conservatives have wanted to use the 10th Amendment to uphold racist laws against blacks or outlaw abortion. These issues are not merely states' rights issues, they are also individual rights issues. The gay marriage issue is also an individual rights issue, not just a states' rights issue. States do not have the power, via the 10th Amendment, to oppress their citizens even if a majority of their citizens vote for it. Sorry if that upsets you.

In the case of assisted suicide, it is clearly an individual rights issue. No one is forcing anyone to undergo assisted suicide. These people are making the decision for themselves. The 9th Amendment clearly states "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." It can be argued that the right to die is one of those rights retained by the people. I'd like to hear your legal argument against that right.

The states' rights issue is secondary, but also important. The government of Oregon, by the will of the people of Oregon, has enacted this law, which violates no one's individual rights. There is no reason for the Federal government to be butting into this. Any conservative who claims to interpret the Constitution strictly yet supports the Feds on this is an overt hypocrite, no bones about it.

- Paul

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Did the bitter sarcasm get lost in the translation?

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are right, of course. But I guess there are exceptions to every rule.

Like the farmers say, 'I am against big government but I need my subsidies to survive.'

13. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "And I guess I am for big business, but I'm not sure why. *scratches head*"

- Paul

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if you wrote with more clarity, there wouldn't be the need for translation.

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Well, the topic was "Reep Hypocrisy", so the intelligent reader quickly made the connection when I said "we". ;)

And you need an apostrophe after "States" to show the possessive, Mr. "Easy To Read".