Starting Young

Discussion in 'Coach' started by eplkewell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm a 16 year old high school soccer player, and I already realize that I am not going to be able to play at a high level in the future. I love the game a lot, and I would like to go into coaching as a career. What is the best way to get started at a young age, and are there any colleges that offer coaching programs or anything. I really love the game, especiallt the tactical elements. Any advice on how to get started would be great.

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of suggestions -
    - find an adult that's coaching a younger team and offer to help. Most rec leagues are looking for adult coaches, and adult volunteer coaches that haven't played the game are looking for ideas and help.
    - take a referee course and referee youth games. This will teach you the rules, give you an insight into the game that you don't get except in the middle of the field. It will also give you insight on how to interact with referees as a coach.
    - play, develop your skills, and study the game by readying and watching soccer at different levels.
    - talk to your coaches and other coaches, ask questions - about philosophy, methods, preparation.

3. DUTCHVIZ

DUTCHVIZ New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    IASocFan has some good advice. Add to it, check your state association for their F & E license courses. The Chris Nedelcovych Soccer Foundation also helps young coaches. Go to www.cnsfund.org.

Good luck