Starting to build Credit-first credit card

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Transparent_Human, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Hey, first time really posting in this place, just a few questions/searching for advice from some more financially savvy people then I.

I understand having good credit is very important, right now I am going into my senior year of college, and then on to grad school. I am hoping to start my "adult" life of right financially, and that includes building my credit history and being responsible about it. I have some debt (student loans, not that bad though as I go to a state school, and my grandparents and parents bought me a lot of bonds for college as I grew up which took a big dent out of the bills) And I just today got my first credit card (Citi Platinum select MasterCard-basically a student card) The credit limit seemed a bit high for a first timer ($2500!?) but I really don't need/plan on using it. (my friend suggested I buy an IPod :rolleyes:) I guess she is their perfect customer.

Would putting my monthly expenses that I pay anyway off my debit card (Netflix, groceries, etc) on my card, and then just paying it every month like I do anyway (if I don't have the money in my account, i don't buy it basically.....seems foolish to do so) Would this build me a good credit history going forward into the "real world"? Or is it just small peanuts on my credit report? I mainly just got this card because A. I want to build my credit. B. I am hopefully going on a road trip to New Mexico and Arizona next summer and I thought it would be a good thing for an emergency situation just in case so far from home.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can avoid everything else, charge one thing each month (a tank of gas, Netflix bill, whatever) and pay it off.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Credit cards are great for emergencies and back-ups.

The scenario you described -- paying bills and stuff -- would be ideal for somebody trying to get frequent flier miles. Now THAT's my area of expertise. :D

However, those affinity cards have high % rates and high yearly fees ($65/yr as opposed to $40, let's say).

I think it's critical for somebody in their early to mid-20's to become financially responsible and not use the cc as an ATM.

Give yourself 5-6 months of limited credit card use, something that you're comfortable with like 3apples mentioned above.

If you do that and you still pay off your bill every time, then consider bills, netflicks, gas, etc. on an airline affinity card AND PAY IT OFF EVERY FRIGGIN' MONTH. They typically give you 1 mile for every dollar.

(If you want to start off conservative, several airlines have debit cards, which give 1 mile for every $2 spent. But this won't help you build up credit.)

I know that American Airlines gives you 20,000 for having a card w/ them. Surf their rewards website and you can find many ways to earn miles: flowers, satellite tv, dining (great as a restaurant guide, btw), you name it.

Again, this is not necessarily to build up credit, just how to work the system IF YOU PAY YOUR BILL EVERY MONTH.

I cannot stress that enough. If you carry a balance, you are paying for those "free" miles.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Building credit:

While I do not endorse rampant consumerism, I do believe in smart spending.

If you have a decent job, try to maintain as much of a frugal college lifestyle as possible.

Where you have to stop being a college student is when purchasing consumer goods, such as furniture, luggage, electronics.

Furniture: Instead of buying a ratty old bed or a ratty old couch and a piece shit Ikea bookcase, consider shelling out the extra dough and buying something of quality that you know you will take with you when you move (and move and move again).

When you add up how much ppl spend on bad furniture from the time their 18-28, it's ridiculous the amount of waste.

Most furniture and electronics stores have financing available, and that's a great way to build credit.

Don't go out and buy the mega tv with all the trimmings. Just be smart.

LUGGAGE: I don't know how often you travel, but quality luggage saves you money long term as opposed to the piece of crap that I used to buy.

Again: if you buy it at a dept. store, you can apply for credit and it's a good way of building credit.

I'm just trying to give you a way of thinking about consumer products. These might not apply to you, but it's the mentality that matters.

5. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    A lot of times you can 0% financing for a decent amount of time. Just remember, PAY IT OFF before the grace period ends. Otherwise you get hit with a ton on interest all at once.

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

The big 3 credit agencies have their own twists on how to give the FICO score. My understanding is that how often you actually use the card doesn't matter. What does is how long the account has been open, if you have missed any payments (assuming it's reported), and how much potential credit you have on the card and how much balance you have. Generally carrying more than half of the credit limit as a balance, let's say $1575 for a card with a $2500 limit will have a negative affect but not the other way. That is, as far as I know you don't actually ever have to use the thing.

Having it for an emergency will definitely be handy.

For myself, I don't have a debit card. I know, I know, the bank swears up and down I'm protected just as well as a credit card. But legally it's different and even if something happened and they were to follow through with their claims, at best it means cash in my checking account being tied up. Worse, it's just flat out gone. So I use my credit card for all sorts of day to day spending. I make payments on it 4-8 times a month. But as others have pointed out, you have to have reached the point where you're not willing to incur debt for those things that really aren't that important (mp3 player, drinks at the bar, etc).

7. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Thanks for the advice/knowledge everyone. I'm still an inexperienced youngling at this stuff :D

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate credit card debt with a passion. Here is a way to build credit without having to use a card.

1) Set aside about $1000 in your bank account
    2) Go to your bank and ask for a 6 month loan for $1,000
    3) Pay your first three months on time at the regular payments
    4) In the fourth month, pay back the remaining balance

Do the same with $2000 aside about six months later. After that, see if you can do the same only with an unsecured loan and use the same payment method.

9. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Good idea, I'll keep it in mind once my income is better (not "employed" officially ATM but I get some small cash from odd jobs etc) For some reason I can not for the life of me find seasonal work, from what I've read I'm not the only one though.

Great idea, never thought of it, rep coming your way Matt, PRK, and UCLA

10. karen hudson

karen hudson New Member

Dec 17, 2009