Star System

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by slb13, Aug 24, 2006.

1. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    I have been playing with this idea in my head for some time. Do you think the Superliga should use the star system like other various leagues? For instance, using a star for 10 league championships or such? I have always been interested in the concept of jerseys and the symbolism that goes with them. Perhaps if it were accepted there would be a system just for our league for example using various traditional Portuguese symbols instead of the stars. I'm just interested in what you all have to say concerning this suggestion.

2. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We don't even hand out the trophy correctly, and you expect us to start representing wins by teams on jerseys? :D

3. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    Yes very true lol. What can I say that hasn't been already said on that subject? Still, would it be a good idea to use this system?

4. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know why we don't use the stars above the logo of the team, but different teams have stars for different reasons. In Germany, I believe the stars symbolize a European Cup victory, whereas in Italy their stars indicate 10 scudettos. Either way, only a couple of Portuguese squads would be able to have stars on their jerseys, but it would be neat to have...

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Save the star for the top of the X-mas tree.

6. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    I agree. But we wouldn't have to use stars, if we didn't want to. I'm just saying there could be a format for this whether using stars, quinas, shields, castles etc. Of course I'm speculating... but I think it would add more honour to the various teams, even if we know each of our team's accomplishments by heart.

7. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :D funny stuff!

8. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have never been a fan of banners or stars on jerseys etc...

Championships are won on the field by the players who participated and too often we see current players rest on the laurels of what others have accomplished...

I for one don't need to be reminded of a teams accomplishments by a star or banner especially now when we see banners for so many things that aren't worthy of it...

9. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    While you have made some good points, I'd have to disagree. While it's true that some of the players do this, it's also true that players could have the mindset of wanting to help their team get another star. Their is glory in that you could change the amount of respect you get from others. Let's face it, our league, while it has maintained a good amount of recognition by Europe, still isn't respected as much. I'm not saying that the star system would be a band-aid solution to this, but it could help.

10. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am quite positive that let's say Man U. wouldn't give a rat's ass if the Lampioes had 2 stars above their emblem.

I am sure they would be really intimidated:rolleyes:

You don't build prestige with symbols...it's like a kid getting a tattoo that states "Thug Life" when he probably lives in suburbia...and has no clue about what he has written on his body but believes it will "intimidate" someone...I piss on those guys:D

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

ohhhh, tough guy. ;)

12. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    My whole point wasn't to intimidate. I could care less about Manchester United or their fans. Why would I want to intimidate a team who has a British Bulldog, gets rid of their top striker and uses Park more than C. Ronaldo? It's a pathetic joke. I'm just saying it helps to relive past accomplishments, even though you would already know of them. Regardless, the prestige has already been built, but maybe it would be more known if we use these "intimidating" symbols.

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I disagree with this

we already use the escudo to indicate the reigning Portuguese champions (which is good) we dont need to add starts and other crap

this isnt the world cup, or serie A

14. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    You forgot to add various other league like Germany etc. I'm not saying that we should follow suit and take it overboard like Boca Juniors. I'm saying that it would be interesting to see the big three sporting stars over their crests over their accomplishments, whether the stars be awarded for league titles, European triumphs etc.

15. Ricardo76

Ricardo76 New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Lisboa
    I support the stars under the jerseys.
    The rest is fashion!

16. alfredo1

alfredo1 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    germany

just as information, in germany the stars are given as follows: 1-4 championships= 1 star, 5-9 chamiopnships=2stars, 10 or more=3 stars.
    as far as i'm informed this has to be implemented by the federation or the league itself. i don't think that any team can step forward by doing so and maybe the others follow.
    anyway i would love to see this little "add on" on the shirts of my team... :)

17. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't think it would be a bad idea for clubs to have stars representing the number of European championships. That way, it would hold a lot more value and significance.

18. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I always thought that the stars symbolized the European glory that each team had garnered in their history. I was mistaken. Either way, it is a nice way to pay homage to the history of each club, but again in Portugal this would only apply to 3 clubs, and this would have to be something agreed to by the FPF and LPFP, and I cannot see them bending over backwards to have 3 clubs distinguish themselves on their respective jersey...

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hell the way the Portuguese league goes about its business they would proboly just put the stars to close to each other and it would just look like one big glob of gold.

20. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Belenenses and Boavista can have 1 star lol

21. alfredo1

alfredo1 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    germany
    correct. thought i had to post it.. ;)

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    In Germany you only get a star if you have at least 3 championships - counting only those won after 1963. Therefore Nürnberg, for example, who won 9 championships in total (but only one of them after 1963) don't get a single star.

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm against it. The escudo for the defending chump is enough.

24. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
  25. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    c'mon the LPFP cant even figure out who should play in the league, netherless worry about stars. The 'escudo' is enough