Stanford University 2021 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Maybe other teams are stepping up their game or new players changing the variables.

2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    By starting XI do you mean player for player or as a unit?

3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    USC just lost 3-2 to Colorado

McSkillz and derbarkasmann repped this.
  4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Currently UCLA is looking like the top of the PAC12!

McSkillz repped this.
  5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dani Hansen blocked a USC penalty kick in the first overtime.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  6. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    I didn’t get to watch Stanford - Cal game last night but was it a fair result? It’d love to hear some insight.

7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Cal had 1 shot on goal and it went in (From 25 yards). Stanford controlled the game but couldn’t crack the Cal defense Great penalty save late for Cal to preserve the victory

8. Kleetus

Kleetus Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Dec 8, 2019
    Pivotal set of games for the Cardinal down in the desert this weekend. Two wins would boost their RPI and greatly help the push toward final Pac 12 season standings. Both Arizona teams have shown to be very dangerous so far this year, should be a great challenge for Stanford to contain Arizona’s front line speed, and Arizona State’s overall very good team play. Looking to see if Cardinal get their full complement of front line players back, as one has been out the last 2 games.

9. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    I was able to watch their UCLA game and it was well coached entertaining game by both sides IMO. Maybe a tie would have been a fair result but this Stanford team can not score. It’s not a good sign when your back up centre back is playing up top. Both Stanford and Cal looks very unfit and it’s showing in their outcomes. It’ll be interesting to see what this team will look like come fall.

10. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    How long can Cal keep getting top tier recruits and not win? They might want to tone down the social media posts about how highly regarded their recruits are because sooner or later the admin will put 2 and 2 together.

11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was all excited when Colorado beat them in Berkeley this season, they were ranked #10 at the time and I assumed a big RPI boost. Oops.

And they have an outstanding goalkeeper, so that's not it. The whole just doesn't seem to come close to equaling the sum of the parts. At least it's good news for the rest of us in the Pac-12.

12. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Guys, Cal are just greasing the pole with these glowing accolades. So that when Neil gets shafted at the end of the season, it would look justifiable. But then again, they're the same outfit that hired the guy with a losing record from TTech. Cal Athletic Department are quite renowned in the Pac as incompetent, they've been getting complaints about his verbal abuse for years, so who really knows what they're going to do with him?

From what I understand, they only had 14 healthy outfielders available, and it seems that they all played. I guess that's what happens when you don't have that many options. Other than dressing your GK2 as an outfielder.

After watching them win their first game, I predicted that this edition will not only lose a lot of games, but will also not win the Pac and not make the Tournament. Regardless of the outcome at Cal, this is the worst performer in Paul's tenure, and most certainly the last 25 years. My memory only goes so far.

As you said, let's see what will happen in the fall. But with 2 underwhelming classes and possibly a 3rd straight in the fall, that will be the bulk of your squad in the next 4-year cycle. It will be very difficult to assemble a championship side with a critical mass of physiologically weak players who lack rudimentary ball control skills. And this is why I also wrote that that this season and next are going to be very dark, very lean times for this program. This is why I don't see Stanford fielding a serious College Cup edition until 2024, at the earliest.

socalsoccer23 and Kleetus repped this.
  13. Kleetus

Kleetus Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Dec 8, 2019
    To be fair to the program, they are missing three players of major impact that legitimately should’ve been there this year… One went pro earlier than would’ve been expected, one suffered a season canceling knee injury, one has rarely played in the last four games and when she played earlier in season, seemed a shell of herself and certainly not what fans anticipated.

That being said, I think we can agree with you that the fresh faces are not offering much considering the accolades that some of them arrived with at the farm. I actually thought these last two games were rather impressive in the respect that sadly, I thought USC would roll them 3 to 0 and UCLA would roll them about 4 to 1… I do think they are getting better overall, and the defensive back row and GK are fighting off waves of talented invaders to the best of their abilities.

That also being said, when the tip of the spear is struggling to even get a shot off, maybe it’s time to consider a different TOTS… Further, there is absolutely minimal combination play up top… These last two games demonstrated decent building out of the back… Good counter attacks through the middle and then absolutely no trust in each other up top and a general lack of effort and even outward displays of pouty-ness toward teammates that are quite frankly, unbecoming of a player who some felt would have a breakthrough year. There is a general sense to me that too many used COVID as an excuse not to stay in Championship form and sadly, it is biting them in the arse.

Example: The AZ teams looked far fitter and hungrier and ran the Cardinal into the desert ground, so hats off to them.

The reemergence of a fast, creative and energetic player this weekend vs the SoCal squads was a bright spot and maybe, just maybe, if they can squeeeeeeeak into the dance and give her more time... they may realize they’ve been battle tested these last 4 games and are ready to take what they have, whatever that may be, and make a push and shock some people. Would be refreshing to see a little underdog nastiness out of this group.

Hard to know though, as implied earlier, may need to shuffle the cards one more time, just a little, to get the best (or last) 11 on the field at the same time.

Appreciate your take

cachundo and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  14. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    And I am sure they were not expecting Sophia Smith to leave after two years either. They should still be better than this despite missing all these players, but their lack of fitness and physicality really killed them this season. It makes sense that all these players are injured and have only 14 players available.

socalsoccer23 and Kleetus repped this.
  15. Kleetus

Kleetus Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Dec 8, 2019
    Yes, I was actually referring to Smith… she would’ve made a massive difference this season.

Macario I already figured was gone and from a program point of view, it would not have been unreasonable to think she may leave early (even back when recruiting her, as she was that highly touted and already able to perform at such a high level) ... so, having the above mentioned players available, instead of injured or off to the next level, certainly would’ve shaped out a vastly different side with likely vastly different results than what we are currently watching- one of course far more similar to last year’s.

That being said, I do agree with your point about fitness… It has been evident since the very first game of the season versus Pepperdine, where the Cardinal at large have looked like the slower team versus virtually everyone they’ve played… One can only assume they handled their fitness regimens differently over the break than other teams did… But as I said above, I think this last weekend set of games against the SoCal schools showed that some of that is now sharpening up, and IF they can get a strong result against Cal AND somehow squeeze into the NCAA field of 48, then we may be pleasantly surprised as they may shock everyone and go on a run... that of course may be highly optimistic, and certainly includes the best case assumption of a more cohesive, relentless, risk-taking and teammate-trusting combining attack up front, which to me, clearly remains the last frontier for them.

And that last frontier may remain untouched, too far out of reach, based on what we’ve seen so far.

But here’s to hoping :)

16. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Interesting stuff. Sadly, your story is common in varying degrees across College soccer thanks to Covid. Players routines have been disrupted to varying effect and the knock on impacts are often not immediately obvious. From the physical side you mention, but also the mental/social side. How personalities interact in this difficult time (don't underestimate the elections and the polarising effect) has also left an impact on many teams. Throw in the early departures, drafted players still playing and it becomes almost unreasonable to expect anything like consistent performance.

Stanford have many talented players and Im sure they will emerge from this stronger. Winning is cool, but my kids have always learned more from adversity!

17. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    Cal didn’t look good at all.. yikes

18. Kleetus

Kleetus Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Dec 8, 2019
    I thought Cal’s backline looked good, able to clog up most all Stanford shots on goal inside the 18, and handled repeated crosses from the Cardinal pretty darn well.

They have nice talent there, but like most teams have trouble closing the deal up top.

24 for Stanford is a difference maker. She changes the energy on the attack when she is in there. Would like to see a lot more of her if they somehow squeak into the NCAA field of 48.

And if they do squeak in, I maintain that they may do some unexpected damage.

The defensive area has been stellar lately and their ability to combine and get out of pressure has been looking good.

These last few games have them rounding into pretty good form, given all the aforementioned players not available, and time will tell if they can parlay that into an NCAA run.

And hats off to 23 for that run and perfect pass to 14 to end it at Cal. That little sequence is emblematic of everything 23 has brought to the team during her incredible 4 years at the farm.

19. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    I am predicting Stanford will not lose in the playoffs.

sweepsit repped this.
  20. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might just do it without giving up a single goal

21. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting developments since the season ended.

Congrats to Deks Nakada Selected as Next Utah Soccer Head Coach

and

Stanford add transfer Katie Duong, formerly of U. Minnesota

Hopefully, Duong has a good head on her shoulders, is a self-starter and has motivation, and will be a good teammate. And it would be a huge HUGE plus if she can manage to control the ball within two touches, and not mimic a turnover machine when there is no opponent within 3 steps of her.

FWIW, only 2 other transfers have ever happened - Uhl [also from Minn], and Hiatt [from BC]. They did not disappoint.

socalsoccer23 and LeftyMac repped this.
  22. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Kelley O'Hara, Christen Press, & Tierna Davidson selected to USWNT roster for Tokyo Olympics [link]

Jane Campbell & Catarina Macario also going to Tokyo as alternates.

Congrats to everyone. :thumbsup:

23. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cal Poly 0 - 2 Stanford

Impressions, ss23, Kleetus, and others who may have attended?

Home opener next Th 1900 against Northridge.

24. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    I was not at the game, but heard decent 1st game out...two very different styles of play--so good for us to deal with that....Cal Poly has a good team.
    So very nice to have Girma back! A couple promising freshmen debuts as well....Hopeful for a better season:)

cachundo repped this.
  25. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The 2021 edition kicked off a homestand weekend with a couple of eye-opening results.

Stanford 7-0 CSUN

The Card score a touchdown against the Northridge Earthquake.

Stanford 6-0 AssTicks