Stanford University 2021 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Dec 29, 2020.

1. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Time to start a new thread for 2021.

The link for the 2020 thread can be found at Stanford University 2020 [R]

Excerpts from Soccer America's interview of Paul Ratcliffe [link]
    So many uncertainties heading into 2021. IF there is a spring season, with extended stay-at-home orders and Santa Clara County's no contact and isolation/quarantine protocols, will Stanford be able to play at home? Case in point - 49ers relocating to Phoenix. Or will Stanford and 3 other California teams call Las Vegas home? With the Big West canceling their season, Davis would have been a great home base, but they are at a much worse ICU availability than the Bay Area. And if the NCAA were not such Tournament tightwads and really cared about athlete safety, they should fly and quarantine 48 teams to Hawai'i. :)

Hopeful for a spring season. :thumbsup:

socalsoccer23, cpthomas and Heeligan2 repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Also how many Stanford player will declare for the draft?

3. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When is the deadline for declaring for the NWSL draft?

From the interview .....

For players such as Kiki and Haley, a 5th-year option may be too good to pass up.

Macario will go pro. Does not necessarily mean in the U.S.

There is that possibility that no Stanford player declares for the upcoming NWSL draft :sneaky:

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  4. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    I doubt Macario will play in the NWSL. It doesn’t makes sense for her. Even if she can get allocated, she can get significantly more in France with likes of Leon or PSG.
    If I had to pick players going to the NWSL then I think it would be Pickett. Maybe Haley too but we will see. It’s really unfortunate we couldn’t see this team play in 2020. Perhaps would have been one of the best Stanford teams ever

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They have changed the whole allocation rules and money to be competitive with the euros. Jeff Kasouf just posted a new article in equallizer. Worth a read

6. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    Sad we won’t get to see Macario with Stanford any longer, but excited to see her play with Lyon and see what she can do there. Good luck to her!!

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Sad for Stanford, but happy for Macario.
    Does anyone have any info as to how long before she is
    eligible for the full NT?

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It’s in fifas hands now. Supposed to be anytime

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't have a long history of following the USWNT, but it's hard to imagine a surer thing for the USWNT coming out of college than Macario.
    Maybe Hamm was or someone else, I don't know.

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  10. Francewnt87

Francewnt87 Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Mia was on the NT at 15, so I think Macario is definitely the first sure thing out of college.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Mary Abigail

you’d have to also include Hao

but before that you’d have to include a host of goal scorers l or point winners who started for the NT before they got out of college.
    Lilly,Milbrett,Macmillan, Parlow..
    Don’t forget Milbrett matched Hamms 103 goals in 95 games college total in only 74 games. Macario would have to score 39 goals in her next 6 games to match that.
    Macmillan scored 87 goals in 82 games in college. That included one season where she broke her leg, got a pin, and played three matches later.
    Parlow scored the same number of goals Macario has made, but in 40 more games.
    and Boxx was about as dominant player as there was coming out of college.she didn’t score as much out of the midfield, but she dominated every match.
    those are just the first few. There are others.

I’m really looking forward to seeing Macario on the international scene. I think she is a good prospect to match those players.

12. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wanted macario to make more records at stanford

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Much different game at different time. Macario,if she lives up to it, can change the dynamic of the women’s game more than any of the legends you mentioned above

14. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Agree 100%. A lot of these names wouldn't be the same impact today because they don't have the soccer part Macario has and the game has evolved a lot. To me, that's a positive and not a slight on these past players.

15. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you have in mind here? I’ve seen highlights from her and in a couple games and clearly impressive.

16. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    Would it be easy to get French league games here in the States?

17. Francewnt87

Francewnt87 Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I don't know if I agree with this. Those players would absolutely be able to play today's game because they would have been able to evolve and learn today's game just like the current players have. They are where they are as players because they have more resources to learn different styles, there are better coaches and youth teams, and better everything. Soccer wasn't even on TV in the states when they were growing up. If Mia Hamm grew up with access to everything that woso has to offer today, she would be a far better player than she was and she was pretty ahead of her time back in the day.

Case in point, the stacked Stanford team could not score against UNC in the NC game and that's not even close to being the best UNC team. The 92 & 93 UNC teams are the best in their history. They also played a more technical style of soccer during those years. I know it was less competition back then but you take the 3 best players during their college years (Hamm, Lilly, Venturini) from those teams and put them in that NC game for UNC, and Stanford loses by at least Two goals. I agree about Macario tho, she is more skilled and dynamic than most past players not named Marta. She might even be better than her. Only time will tell.

Hexa repped this.
  18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ICYMI .....

Kiki Pickett and Madison Haley were drafted in the first round of the 2021 NWSL Draft [link]

Cat with the UWSNT - 1st start, 1st goal

And the 2020 schedule is up.

We'll see how this edition looks like without 67 goals [2/3 total] from the championship edition. ;)

19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is Haley leaving? Most of drafted players are staying for spring and reporting after

20. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Haley & Kiki staying at Stanford thru spring...yayyyyy!!!

21. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    I was told she is coming back for fall 2021

22. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious if anyone saw the Stanford -Pepperdine game? It looked like Stanford has a lot of things to work out - was pretty surprised and Pepperdine seemed like they came to win. I didn't get to see the two goals at the end so don't know how they were scored but Pepperdine was up 1-0 till about the 85th minute

24. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Stanford hit a nice shot from outside to tie it up. The referee handed them a ridiculous penalty kick to win it. It was an awful awful call.

FreshPow and Number007 repped this.
  25. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    Unlike the last time they faced each other, Pepperdine was the better team of the two today.

ytrs repped this.