Stanford University 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Is subbing six players respecting the game ? Asking for a friend

2. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019

3. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    Exactly. I was told by a club director that they were not happy with Amanda. She got outcoached and put it on her players.

4. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    Awesome spot on breakdown of the game.

cachundo and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  5. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    From what I hear. The defenders from UCLA begged Amanda to back to 4 back at halftime. But Amanda said in front of the whole team ( I'm not changing for no one!) You cant say that around 20 girls that have friends on a ton of teams and expect that to get out.

cachundo repped this.
  6. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    Is a coaching strategy disrespecting the game? I don't think I follow.

I don't agree with this method of coaching (or parking the bus), but AD has always used it and can because of the players he gets. Some schools try it and can't because they don't have the same caliber of player. It's disruptive. I would be happy if NCAA went to FIFA rules as far as limiting the number and game entries of substitutes, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

However, I think there is a clear difference between taunting and theatrics on the field toward your opponent and substituting players. Obviously, these are my opinions so you and your "friend" do not need to agree.

TimB4Last repped this.
  7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Everyone has a different view on what constitutes disrespecting the game. For anyone to level that charge at Meyer is a bit much for me. Obviously there is a difference between taunting and what AD does, but "disrespecting the game" can take many many forms.

To your point, why does not other school in that class do it ?

8. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting. Any insights re: UCLA HT adjustments, if any?

9. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    From what I hear. She said we all have to do better. That was the just of the whole HT speech. Girls on the team were shocked no adjustments taken.

10. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    I think everyone was shocked no adjustments were taken. I think people that know soccer knew when UCLA lined up they were at a disadvantage. Stanford is the best team in the country. The last time they played UCLA played a defensive game and only lost 1-0. Held the big 3 of Stanford to 0 goals. I think most observers would have thought to use same game plan.

11. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    Leveling a charge at Meyer? Maybe you missed the UCLA game when she actually charged the UCLA freshman PK taker after stopping it and someone else cleared it. Let's agree to disagree on this.

And I think no other school in that class uses multiple substitutions because it's just not successful overall. It just seems to be very hard to adjust when in the heat of the battle to that many changes.

Now just waiting to see if CM wins top prize again. When is that announcement?

12. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I did not miss it. We just see it differently. This is the new way. To call it disrespecting the game is to imply that your standards are relevant. I did say I would not want my kid doing it. I won’t judge her tho

Just like we disagree on the sub thing. I bet you several coaches consider that disrespecting the game. You don’t need to adjust if the tactical plan is the same. Pressure and run until you are gassed then come off

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #138 cpthomas, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    I think that if they do, they're simply wrong.

Here's how I think of it:

The rules define the game. For teams under the jurisdiction of FIFA, the rule is 3 subs. That is part of the definition of the international game of soccer. For teams under the jurisdiction of the NCAA, the general rule is unlimited subs, with some specific restrictions. That is part of the definition of the collegiate game of soccer. Part of good coaching is knowing the rules of the game and pursuing strategies that will give you the best results under those rules. That is respecting the game. In fact, one could consider refusing to pursue strategies based on the rules to be disrespecting the game.

I think of it in terms of the offside rule. Teams play an offside trap. That's pursuing a strategy intended to give you the best result you can get under the rules. It's part of respecting the game. It most certainly isn't disrespecting the game.

And, to use a different example, rules allow a team with a lead to take the ball to the corner at the offensive end and try to keep it there, running out the clock. There are fans who don't like that, but under the rules it's a legitimate game strategy. Given that, I believe it is not "disrespecting" the game.

One can argue that the NCAA rule ought to change, and many have argued that. They could assert that the NCAA does not respect the rules of the "true" game of soccer, and many have asserted that. I think those are fair arguments and assertions, although from an NCAA perspective there also are good arguments to the contrary, which are stronger so far as the NCAA is concerned. But I do not think one can correctly state that subbing in accord with the NCAA Rules of the Game is disrespecting the game so far as collegiate soccer is concerned, since that game explicitly allows unlimited subbing to occur.

Respect the Game repped this.
  14. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    My you retort quickly. I apologize, I was watching the football game of the day. 120th Army/Navy. As a former Naval member, it is a tradition.
    Anyway, i thought i inferred..respecting your opponents. That is what i meant.
    Again, agree to disagree. Enjoy your Holidays.

15. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    There is letter of law and spirit of law. People are entitled to their opinion either way. There is no right or wrong,

16. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Just saw Stanford’s IG post about next year’s incoming crop of players. Obviously the crown jewel is Astrid Wheeler... but Amy Sayer is a name I hadn’t heard of. Anyone know anything about her? Also interesting we have two goalies signed. Not a fan of switching goalies throughout the season... but hey what do I know. It seems like it might continue through next season at least.

With that being said, anyone want to do a breakdown of this class - strengths, weaknesses, and where they will fit for next year?

17. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    Congrats to CMacario. Back to back MAC Hermann Trophy. Well done.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Congrats to Macario. No surprise there. Lots of speculation that both her and Smith are going pro. Anyone with inside info?

socalsoccer23 and HeadSpun repped this.
  20. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Except that it's not titled "Stanford University 2020" . It's titled as a rub in your face jibe to a competitor, which is FUNNY as a post. :laugh: But it's already getting old as a title to a thread that should be used for a new year.

21. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Congrats to Marcario! She's a wonderful young woman and a phenomenal talent. We all look forward to watching your career unfold.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  22. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    A huge trade is in the works between Portland FC and the Orlando Pride. Sounds like Portland is willing to give up even some of their top name National Team players to get Orlando's number one pick. Makes sense for them to give up so much if Macario is the key player that Portland wants.

23. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Why in the world would Macario leave? Low pay subpar league. No national team. Makes no sense imo.

Number007 repped this.
  24. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #149 WoSoFan, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Actually in her case, she will most likely be one of the highest paid players in the league. The maximum pay in salary cap money for the top tier players is $50,000, and with the additional $300,000 each team can use above an beyond the salary cap money could even sweeten the pot where she could be making $100,000. if not more even this season. Plus there should be plenty of additional endorsement money that could make her one of the wealthiest women soccer players in the world.

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Sophia Smith