Stanford University 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Great win over a great team.
    And now it's about time a few of the Cardinal (CM, MH) get an early
    start on their pro career;)

cachundo repped this.
  2. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    National SemiFinals PostMortem

Stanford 4-1 UCLA

UCLA score first with a howler in the 7th minute. But Stanford reply by scoring a howler of their own 2 minutes later, and never looked back. Four unanswered goals, headlined by Sophia Smith’s hat-trick.

While most everyone saw how Stanford won on the field of play, what has not been discussed was the tactical adjustments that won this game even before it even kicked off.

UCLA have been on a roll ever since they settled on playing a 3-5-2. Stanford [correctly] assumed that this is how UCLA would play, and made some tactical adjustments.

Stanford were confident that their front 3 could win their battles against their back 3. Haley, Smith, and Malatskey all did. The beauty of the 3-5-2 is the tactical flexibility of the wing-backs. Requires athletes who can run up and down the field for the full 90. Requires not just high rpm, but high torque as well. The strength and success of the 3-5-2 is predicated on the 2-way play of the wing-backs. Thus, negating their wing-back play was critical in isolating their defenders in a 1-v-1. Stanford were looking to have their front three against 3, not 5, defenders.

Occupying their wing-backs was key, which meant that the outside backs had to push up to support the attack, and in transition, negate the wing-back threat higher up the pitch. Kiki and Wesley were playing so high up that it had me concerned, until I realized what the coaches have done.

When Stanford had possession, they morphed into sort of a 3-3-1-3. Belle dropped back in line with the central defenders and this was a key adjustment. Belle plays better when she can see what’s in front of her, and passing improved tremendously.

By design, Macario played as the d-mid, the final critical adjustment.

Haley dropped near center stripe, while her wide counterparts played defender’s shoulder higher up the pitch.

Now Stanford had their attackers where they wanted them, isolated 1-v-1 against their defender.

With their wing-backs occupied, time to negate their real danger - Fleming; she makes that whole team better. Macario was the only mid with pace, range, and lateral movement that can occupy Fleming. People who say UCLA neutralized Macario did not understand that Stanford’s gambit was to sacrifice their best player to play a deep midfield role in order to negate the other team’s best player. So that eventually, the front line could overwhelm their backline. Fleming was reduced to passing back; she could only go forward when Macario slipped on the slick field. UCLA’s attack was shackled when Fleming as an attacking threat was rendered ineffective by Macario. Zero shots, and more importantly, zero dangerous through-balls, UCLA’s bread and butter.

Brilliant tactical adjustments by Stanford. The game still had to be played, of course. Everyone played their roles perfectly, Macario selflessly, to reach Championship Sunday

Messi #1 and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  3. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    National Champrionship Match

Stanford 0-0 North Carolina

Stanford are National Champions after prevailing in PKs 5-4

Congratulations to the team for a job well done. The players, coaches, families and all the people from Arrillaga deserved this championship.

My emotions ranged from relief, to joy, then to satisfaction. What made this championship so satisfying was that it was such a difficult game to play against the most successful women’s soccer program. North Carolina were a very tough nut to crack, and the ebb and flow of the game favored their style of play. They had chances, we had chances, but it was still scoreless at the end. Deciding by PKs is really tough, I felt UNC’s pain. I witnessed 3 Stanford editions fall this way. Never easy, always a tough way to go out, no matter the stage.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE our crazy GK Katie Meyer. She was full of energy at the huddle, trying to inspire and infect her teammates with unbridled enthusiasm unknown to mankind. [Thanks Jim Harbaugh]

As Katie gleefully glided like a kite towards the declared goal, a gaggle of pre-teen PTHs behind us were talking to each other.

PTH1: “That GK is so crazy.”

PTH2: “She’s gonna win.”

PTH3 dissented: “No, she won’t. She’s full of it ….. [long diatribe ensues]”

Amused father figure replied: “If she’s in your head now and you’re up here, imagine what’s in the shooters’ heads down there.” Or something to that effect.

The Stanford men would have loved Katie, as they and Andrew Thomas prevailed in an 8-round shootout at rowdy Clemson to reach their College Cup. Good luck to Gunn and the boys as they attempt take their 4th national title in 5 years next weekend.

MWP also won a national championship yesterday as well.

As the folks in Arrillaga coined that corny tagline; NEXT IS NOW.

To me, it’s always, ALL RIGHT NOW.

Thank you Stanford Women’s Soccer. You make our weekends all right now. Winning the championship was the cherry on top.

SakiBomb25 and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  4. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I too noticed the tactical adjustment by Stanford, which is something they don’t have to do often, and it sure made it difficult for UCLA. I was interested to see how UCLA would adjust at half time, but they did not make any changes somehow. They were fortunate not to give up more goals. Sure made it for entertaining end to end match though.

Messi #1, cachundo and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  5. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Love the analysis Cachundo. Thank you. Spot on.
    So proud of this team!

And as I said in the other tread -Huge props to UNC- they were amazing as well.
    A real battle until the end. Such an exciting game to watch, but nerve-wrecking as hell.

Should have been on regular ESPN in my opinion- great crowd.

And yes- I love our "crazy" goalkeeper as well- she had the energy and mentality we needed this weekend and stepped up to the plate.

Way to go CARD!

Messi #1 and cachundo repped this.
  6. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Thanks cachundo for the as-always-insightful information, especially about Macario’s role this weekend. In a way, she was being used as a decoy to set-up her teammates, who delivered (at least against UCLA).

As for Meyer, I was disappointed in her reaction against Fishel; yes I am aware of what happened, but I’m in the camp of focus on yourself and your teammates and ignore everyone else. Too be fair, I am not sure how I would react in such a high-pressure situation. But for those who said she was arrogant and brash on Sunday... she did nothing wrong but get herself hyped up... and who doesn’t love a little TV time? She wasn’t talking trash to UNC, just excited after a huge save. The zip it reference is i’m sure to all the doubters who said she was the weak link of the team, so I am glad she got her redemption.

Congrats Stanford soccer and good luck to the men this weekend!

cachundo, Crazyhorse and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #107 Glove Stinks, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Great college cup for Stanford. Paul out coached both Amanda and Anson as a gk dad I am torn with the behavior of KM. The Fischel scenario makes me want to back her and the pks just don’t sit well. Long and short a u10 keeper would have made those saves. Get up,brush yourself off and act like you’ve been there (see Barry Sanders). Congrats to Stanford best team all season

FreshPow and Crazyhorse repped this.
  8. Kleetus

Kleetus Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Dec 8, 2019

Dude what’s your issue? In a big moment in front of 10,000 screaming people on national television if you think a U-10 GK could save those PKs... I’d like to meet her.

And being a GK dad at a big time U, one would think you’d have a far better grasp of the adrenaline of the situation, and all the blood sweat and tears it takes for one to prepare for that moment.

Clearly, she showed why she’s that team’s GK and they back her 100%

cachundo and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Stanford on another championship for your fine school! A fun team to watch and their cohesiveness was impressive! I can see Macario and Smith on the front line for the USWNT in the very near future.

cachundo and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  10. Lassen

Lassen Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the dad of a former GK for a college cup winner, I can see both sides of this GK thing. Personally, I prefer goalkeepers that are calm, confident and consistently professional. BUT...in both situations (the UCLA save and the Carolina kicks from the mark), Meyer's fire and and energy radiated to the entire team. Her actions (whether you'd call them antics, or not) infused the entire team with confidence and was a key part of them winning. Some might say that with the way she approached the PKs, her teammates KNEW they would win. That's huge in a situation like this. So, while I might personally prefer a different demeanor, I give her nothing but props for doing what it took to win. And as someone else commented, I'm not sure we'd be discussing this at length if the GK in question was Kenny Meyers, rather than Katie Meyers.

11. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fair comments. And yes I get the adrenaline. I simply prefer a player that plays big but is humble. That can drive a team every bit as much as the antics. Hope Solo was the best keeper in the world but her legacy will always be the side show. No thanks

Crazyhorse repped this.
  12. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for me, if your green purple alien robot human whatever, never liked showboating. On the other hand I do agree her actions inspired, fired up her team.

13. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Phenomenal game...and the better team won. Enjoy.

socalsoccer23, ping and cachundo repped this.
  14. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    I think both types will have their fans and detractors.

If you are the fiery, emotional type, you exude confidence and leadership, and fire your team up... or you are arrogant and brash who doesn’t know how to be humble if it it hit you.

On the flip side, if you are the cool, calm collected type, you are humble and exude a quiet confidence that people look up to... or you looked scared or don’t care *that* much about the game who doesn’t inspire your team.

Either way you are damned if you do or damned if you don’t. Both goalies performed great this weekend and neither team would trade theirs for the other.

Crazyhorse, ping and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  15. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    socalsoccer23 repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I respect the article and I can accept the idea that there can be a component of sexism in some of those criticizing Meyer.

I don't buy that it's all about sexism, though. I basically stopped following men's football years ago mainly because of the mere existence of people like Zlatan Ibrahimovic, so I can't be suspected to cut more slack to men's "jerkish behaviours" than women's (mind, not saying that Meyer was a jerk: only saying that, if she had been, a jerk is a jerk to me, men and women alike), and I am sure there are other people like me out there.

Crazyhorse, Number007 and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The criticism of the Stanford keeper has nothing to do with "gender stereotyping." It has to do with her acting like a punk. Anybody can act punkishly--male or female. I would say the same of any male player who acted like she did. She should have been carded for practically attacking Fishel after her missed PK in the UCLA game--I've never seen anything like it--and then her posturing and gesturing for the camera during the PK shootout was almost comical it was so over-the-top ridiculous. Everybody is "competitive," and plenty of players are "fiery." Her behavior was, in a word, unsportsmanlike--period. I attribute it to immaturity.

ytrs repped this.
  18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    different take.

We are all different. whilst I would not want my kids to do it, I dont think she crossed the line. Agressive and brash has become much more the norm. Maybe some of these takes are generational.

cachundo, blissett and ping repped this.
  19. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be on a t-shirt!

socalsoccer23 and SakiBomb25 repped this.
  20. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #120 cachundo, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    If I were the head coach who rostered a fake soccer player to fraudulently gain admission to a prestigious public university, I would refrain from PUBLICLY discussing other peoples' behavior(s). But I;m not.

What Amanda should stick to is publicly throwing her world-class players under the bus during HT interviews. She has become very proficient at it.

Every Pac program has already made a clip of her HT statements to show recruits.

Messi #1, socalsoccer23 and upprv repped this.
  21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I heard Cromwell's halftime interview and don't recall her saying anything that could be construed as throwing her players under the boss. Maybe I missed it. I heard her say players had to play better, which was obvious. She might have also acknowledged that playing a three-back was not wise! As for Meyer's taunting of Fischel, it's the worst example of poor sportsmanship I've seen in years of watching women's soccer. The ref made a serious mistake not carding her, as that kind of behavior should not be tolerated.

HeadSpun, ytrs and ping repped this.
  22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Her comment at half was “Sophia Smith is killing our left back”. Maybe not verbatim but that was the message

23. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Cachundo, I always enjoy your takes. But, disappointed that you would accuse Amanda of the admissions fraud when she has not been implicated in any way. The men's coach was responsible for it. You (nor I) have any right to judge what we do not know. For all you know, she was given orders by a superior, or told a different story behind the players placement on the roster. Yes it looks odd. But, I presume we are adults here. People are being put in prison over this scandal. No one at UCLA (or the Feds for that matter) is accusing Amanda of wrongdoing. Let's refrain from the uniformed accusations.

HeadSpun and TimB4Last repped this.
  24. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    #124 Respect the Game, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    It was a great game. Both teams gave it all. As far as the taunting and other antics, GK's celebrate the stops/saves. The rest of it was over the top. If UNC's gk taunted Meyer after scoring on her, what would Cardinal nation say about it?
    And AD, to his credit, would never allow it.

This isn't a male/female thing. It is a respect thing. Respect the Game (and your opponent) it is bigger than any one person.

25. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I don’t particularly care one way or another about Meyer’s behavior. I think in the moment it just seems like part of an excited player in a pressure packed situation. I think I chuckled. That’s about it though. It is true as stated above that Anson’s players would never do this. Not a judgement one way or the other, but you simply wouldn’t see a UNC player do that. Maybe they should have. They got the smaller trophy .

blissett and socalsoccer23 repped this.