standing?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by lovingthegreen, May 4, 2011.

1. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you easily stand at football games in Ireland or do fans there have the same issues that are present in the U.K. with standing being strongly discouraged?

2. treefingers3

treefingers3 Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Cork City
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    if you mean in the domestic league, then there are never any issues with standing. many grounds still have terracing areas for standing only.

i think the fact that the crowds are so low mean that the stewards are not bothered about it. but as far as i know, there has never been any attempt to stop people standing in seated areas at irish football matches. certainly not at my club anyway (cork city).

3. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the response. That's kind of what I figured, but was curious if that was the case over there.

As far as you know, is there a difference with the national team and games they play with regards to standing?

Thanks again. Good luck to you guys this season. Hopefully your club is starting to have some more (financial) stability after all that happened a couple years ago.

4. treefingers3

treefingers3 Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Cork City
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I've not been to the new stadium at Landsdowne road, but at the old one there were terraced areas, so people who wanted to stand would just go there. i don't think it has ever really been an issue.
    Someone who has been to the Aviva might have a better idea whether standing is tolerated there now, as it is an all-seater stadium these days.

Thanks for the well wishes for Cork City. We are run by fans now, and the financial mess seems to be behind us for good. Now to get back into the premier division :cool:

5. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how much better it is to have standing. At Sounders games here, a significant majority of the lower half of the main seating area stands all 90 minutes (and most of the fans overall) and it adds so much to the atmosphere. It is hard to not be emotionally invested in the game when you are on your feet, and I don't think I could handle sitting at a game ever again. I really wish the U.K. would get back to allowing standing for those who want it - it's not that hard to have it and have it be safe.

Yeah, I've always kept a little bit of an eye on Cork City. I've obviously not followed Irish club soccer very closely (it's tough when no games are streamed online or on TV here), but if I were to choose a favorite Irish club, that would be it. :)

6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's great news. :)

7. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    At Tallaght Stadium the majority in the East Stand will stand for the games as the Ultras congregate there.

A group of us stood at the back of the South stand at Lansdowne for the Europa League final.

KOH

8. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    I would say its the same everywhere on that people know where it is and isn't acceptable to stand.