Stadium Forum Tonight - FOR WARD 8 RESIDENTS *ONLY*

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GlennAA11, Nov 15, 2005.

1. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Looked like about 10 or so practice fields as well

2. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    If there is a hotel built as part of the stadium complex, we will definitely have to organize some late night chanting before our home games to keep the opposite teams from getting a decent night sleep. Very convenient to know where the opposition's team hotel will be in that regard.

3. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That could be the best idea i've heard yet. That or we could take a page out of LT's book and the new Blitz game and send "working girls" to the opposing teams rooms late at night. :p

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw those blue shirted fans in the presentation and thought, why the hell are they using pics of Club Quake? (but why didn't they use photos from our Cup last year?)

K

5. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Bravo Brava, good thinking!

To elaborate further, we could definitely get the drums out and wake up the opposing teams every hour on the hour throughout the night, starting at around 2am.

6. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those looking for it, see page 31. Also, that image stays fairly sharp as you make it bigger. Interesting stuff.

7. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I went ahead and cropped out the only real stadium picture so people dont have to DL the whole PDF if they dont want to.

[​IMG]

It reminds me of Old Trafford with that glass facade...even if its just a placeholder, it looks pretty sweet.

8. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Bad form to quote and reply to myself but just thinking out loud...does this mean we might not have to have a stage at one end? It would be so sweet to have an actual 4 sided stadium...

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    yes, page 31 of the pdf of Payne's presentation has a great image of the proposed stadium location and practice fields.

to the east of the stadium site, it to me it looks like 4 full sized and then 6 youth (smaller) fields.

[​IMG]

it also looks like a 4-sided closed stadium in this image, but I'd think it is far from a final stadium design.

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That diagram also makes it clear that the stadium is almost adjacent to the Metro station. Very good.

11. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for all the updates and the PDF.

The one surprise for me looking at the plans was the placement of the stadium. I had taken the Poplar Point thing a little to literally. I assumed the stadium was going on the actual point, next to S Cap. According to the map on page 31 of the PDF file (and can anyone blow it up?) I was wrong. The placement of the stadium is actually halfway between the S Cap bridge and 11th st bridge. Which makes it a bit further from the Metro.

No big deal, just different than i had imagined. I like it this way better anyway.

12. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i bet its close to the parking garage off howard road but not the station itself

13. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'm not familiar with that station. I just presumed that the garage was part of the station, similar to New Carrollton. You are right though, the drawing makes it look like it's close to the garage.

14. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    OK, so apart from the rush of good feelings generated (in part) by the free food and gift of soccer balls, are we actually closer to having a stadium?

Do we have the land?
    Do we know we have the support of the DC government?
    Do we have the private financing to build the stadium?

Should I be happy, or should I just go back to working for another 60-90 days :))) until we know more?

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    the stadium location looks to be just north of the existing metro parking deck. it looks to be less than a 1/4 or 1/3 of a mile walk underneath 295 from the metro stop to get to the stadium, if that is indeed it's final location.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the small oval along the blue line in the image (even though it is the green line) is the station location of the Anacostia stop at 1101 Howard Road, SE, Washington, DC.

16. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Ask and ye shall receive

17. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    the parking garage is the river side of the 295 and station itself on the other side of 295. there may be an entrance to the under ground there, i've never parked there or anything. i've used the metro at the station but not the garage.

matt i think the financing is in place and the gov't is behind it (at least barry, williams are on the record as for it) but the land deal is now in some doubt.

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    yeah its not far from the garage under there.

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's hard to read the use key on that site plan, but they're using pretty standard Real Estate Development color coding, so I'll translate:

Red: Retail
    Light Yellow: Residential & Retail (in other words, apartments/condos over the shop)
    Dark Yellow: Residential only
    Dark Blue: Office
    Purple: Hotel
    Green: Open Space/Park
    Light Blue: Water, Water Feature
    Gray (not labelled): Parking/Service

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It will be interesting to see how difficult a time they have getting approval from the Army Corps of Engineers for the dredging of a channel into the development.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. Dr. Erwin Pink Field lies just north of the main stadium and is named for Dr. Erwin Pink, one of the most prominent figures in the last 50 years of Frisco.

22. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

Why do I have to be Dr. Pink?

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I am so deeply impressed by the way that Payne and Co. are handling this situation.

In my neighborhood in Brooklyn, a developer bought the NJ Nets and has now convinced the city government to give it millions in corporate welfare, and to expropriate the homes of thousands of homeowners for the benefit of a private investor, using the sham of Eminent Domain. There has never ever been one meeting with the community, or an ounce of outreach. Virtually all, and there were plenty, of the promises that were made to us (the current residents) have been broken. Massive numbers of jobs were promised, now they appear to be shrinking. Offices and shops promised, now nearly vanished. Parkspace proposed, now off-limits to all but new condo owners. Ice skating rink planned, now closed due to security problems. The developer and the city have all appearances of being an invading colonial army of white gentrifiers who have no regard for the current residents except for how efficiently we can be displaced.

Payne and Co., on the other hand, seem to be saying all the right things. Involving the community, asking for feedback, tangible community advantages to development, not just to some gazillionaire developer. It's no wonder Barry signed on. I'm proud to be a fan of DCU.

25. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    So does that mean that a hotel is planned right up next to the stadium? If so... that would be unbelievable. It would be incredibly easy to find the opposing teams hotel...