Stadium Forum Tonight - FOR WARD 8 RESIDENTS *ONLY*

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GlennAA11, Nov 15, 2005.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will. Now whether that means the side fields or the main stadium, I can't tell you, but Payne did say that there will be some usage of the properties by the local schools. He then stressed that as this is primarily a soccer complex, he was hopeful that they could convert people into coming to use this as such ......... a soccer facility.

2. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    Actually, there are pedestrian lanes on each side of the existing bridge. There is a concrete barrier between the car lanes and the pedestrian lanes.

However, there are plans to either replace that bridge or at least renovate it as part of the work on S. Capitol Street.

3. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    The city received over $120 million to begin the process, but it probably won't be done until 2010 or so. There are currently three options - all of which involve realigning the bridge and creating more space at Poplar Point.

d. summary of plans

4. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I slept a lot during english class. :D ;)

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I dare you to say this in one breath :D

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Of course, we like the idea of a hotel. However, I wonder if the hotel would be profitable. Is there enough business to warrant the hotel? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the stadium is going to initially surrounded by homes and park land. Then eventually, the Navy yard will be building up office buildings. Are these within walking distance? The only redeeming part of the location is the Metro - there is going to be a Metro stop there, right? Why would someone want to stay there - if there NOT specifically attending an event there? You can't run a hotel primarily relying on tournaments, soccer matches and concerts.

I don't believe that DCU would run the hotel - more likely they would contract for a management company and/or franchisee to run the operations. I can't see a full service hotel or convention type property (e.g., Marriott, Ramada, Hilton) being there - too big, too many amenities with high RevPAR (Revenue Per Avg. Room) requirements. Instead, I see moderate styled brand (e.g., Courtyard, Hilton Inn, Days Inn, etc.). They are generally smaller without many amenities - such as restaurant/pub. This might be an exception, though, given the locale.

Just my 2 cents.

Questions for KP on Saturday's radio show?

Will tailgating be permitted in the parking lot given that it will be some sort of parking structure?
    Roof?
    Bouncing Stands?
    Milestones (tasks and dates) for completing the construction?

7. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    The hotel business in and around DC does very well, despite the fact that alot of them are not in "desirable" areas. They could use better value hotels given the amount of tourism here. I mean, some tourists stay in the super 8 or hojo's on new york ave.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. My wife isn't into going to games, especially given the 2-hour drive. But if I could convince her that we'd have a nice Sunday in DC and I wouldn't be subjecting the kid to a late-night car ride back from the game, I'd have a much better chance of coming down for a game or two.

Plus, there's the oth 14 or 15 games where I could just stumble to a room and pass out. :D

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been to PHP, but I understand one of the fields on the site (since the local school district pitched in) is a special 600-seat stadium for school district teams (outside of varsity football which plays on the main field) that has Field Turf and is named after someone from the school district or something like that.

The more MLS teams can set aside part of the complex for partnerships like this, the better, IMHO.

10. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The job training/career counseling component here is something I was thinking about after reading the article in the Post today. Many times there are promises of jobs with huge development projects in underserved areas but honestly, what if the neighborhood people don't currently have the skills to fill them, then what?

We've all been frustrated with the staff at RFK at various times over the years (either not qualified, crappy attitudes, etc.), this is the time to start training/mentoring people to be excellent at their jobs.

K

11. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Cross-Posted these for you in this forum:
    The Soccer Show - Sat Nov 19th Part Deux - Final Show of the Year

12. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    The Anacostia metro (on MLK) is probably 1/4-1/2 mile from the proposed site, not far at all. They will most likely improve the access (sidewalks etc) from metro to PP once the development is under way.

Scarshins said part of what I was thinking - the hotel business in DC is always decent. It might take some time, but the hotel will probably do quite well. There arent any new hotels on that side of town and there are about to be a whole lot of people coming from out of town to that area for business and pleasure. Its actually a decent location (by the water, next to parkland etc) as opposed to the old motels off South Cap, just south of the SE/SW freeway (comprable to the hojos out on NY Ave)

The Navy Yard is a walk across the bridge, as is site of the Nats stadium. But I imagine many would take the Metro (one stop!) or cab.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a very good idea. You need to write to Payne and Co.!! :) Oh, and as a TOTAL aside .......... Payne invited the Ballou HS Band to play for the home opener next season. They were actually very good, and will be playing at some competition at the HDC next week. Yes, I said next week. It depressed me knowing that they will be at the reigning champions field, and that is not us. :(

14. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Ballou nearly won the national HS marching band competition last year. I think they came in 3rd or 4th... so yeah, they're good.

Maybe we can get a few of the drummers in the Barra?

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how in blue blazes do you know factoids like this??????

16. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as long as it isn't a Red Roof Inn. :D

17. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I think the Ballou marching band was in the July 4 parade in Falls Church. They rock. So do other HS/community bands like this that I have seen. Go to holiday parades if you want to see some of them.

18. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Well, living in Greensboro, NC for a few years and having friends/roomies who were students of NC A&T University, I know a little bit about marching band, and have the appropriate appreciation.

Channel 8 was ALL OVER some Ballou.

They made a documentary of sorts on last years band. Some of those kids had never been outside of DC, much less gone cross-country to Cali, so it was nice to see that.

you know how much actual programming channel 8 has... so this doc got shown a whole lot last winter. I happened to catch it a couple of times. (I think Leon Harris travelled with them and had a major part in the doc, though i'm not 100% sure of that...)

anyway... that's how.

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Let's see.

Hotel site on one of the few remaining waterfront parcels in DC, affiliated with an entertainment venue, short walk to Metro, huge future development on the horizon, and no adjacent competition.

Nah, I can't imagine any hotel would want that.

:rolleyes:

This would be an ideal site for a limited service hotel, like a Courtyard by Marriott or Hilton Garden Inn. You never know what the other pieces of the overall development are going to be though. You might see Marriott put a Renaissance in this location if they believe the Anacostia Waterfront will develop into a major center of activity. Another possibility would be for an extended stay hotel for business travelers. With Marriott's hq being local, I'm sure they'll take a long hard look at it.

20. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    may even see a good deal of business from travelling baseball teams... (if it has the proper amenities... amphetamines on their pillows, plenty of clean needles, and so on...)

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    MLB teams usually stay at full service hotels, so if it's going to be something like a Courtyard, I wouldn't plan on the business. MLS teams on the other hand...

22. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  24. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the way that everything is unfolding. Thank you for the report, very informative.

Just a little tacking on with some opinions...

1. Despite where DCUnited ranks on the totom poll in the minds of many DC residents (ward 8 or otherwise), you can't deny some of the benefits that this plan entails... affordable housing, internships, soccer programs, bringing money into the community from more avenues than just DCU games.

2. The idea of our own 27,000 seat stadium has me jumping out of my seat with anticipation. As the premier team in this league, with the premier player (Freddy, this is in terms of marketability, not results, so no flaming knives hurled my way, thanks), we should be playing in a premier soccer stadium.

3. As this has been discussed ad nauseum, i'm sure, but the way we are going about this stadium proposal brings a smile to my face. Soccer in America, MLS included, is itself somewhat of a grassroots movement. With that in mind, they have stuck by what has helped the league stay afloat as they try to advance to the next level. Cheers to DCU. Keep up the good work.

25. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Yeah, Id guess most high-rollers stay at the JW Marriot. I was mostly setting up my terrible joke there...