Stadium Envy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Z010 Union, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I want. Wilt and the Fire are so great. Their third kit for the upcoming season looks great, now this. Read it and start thinking about a road trip.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsindex/30-ds1.htm

2. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    To match up with their championship envy, no doubt.

3. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    As a Fire hater I hate to admit it, but that's an organization to admire.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks for the link Bryan....

They're definately going about it the right way. Atmosphere is a big part of the game day experience and I think Wilt knows that. Just think back to the days when we used to envy Crew stadium. The bar's been set. Hope KP and the gang are taking notes.

5. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Just about to start the same thread.

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I think 20,000 is too small.

7. cageyfoot

cageyfoot New Member

Feb 8, 2001
    Washington, DC
    How is it that the Fire, who came into the league after us, gets a stadium before us? Is it a matter of city politics?

8. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way about the proposed DCU SSS that is seats only 24,000. I wonder if these stadiums are designed to be expandable?

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too small, maybe, but it also gets into the supply and demand, and raising prices on a commodity. Imagine the advance ticket sales if people are worried about not getting a seat.

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See I think it is better to setup a 28,000 seater that fills for the big events (MLS Cup, Olympics, Playoffs, USMNT Matches) rather than create "false" supply and demand.

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    IIRC, they are. With the built in stage at one end that cuts off the crowd potential. However they can add temporary stands on the stage and add a few thousand more people.

12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Guess that we DCU fans should start saving our money for the inevitable PSL & ticket hike.

Even so, as Barbara June pointed out, 20,000 does sound a bit small. Is the stadium designed to be at all expandable without major construction?

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    While I wish most of the SSS being built were capable of seating a few thousand more, I still think at this point in time it's not a bad way to go.

For almost a decade now most of the teams have been playing in stadiums far too large, and the teams are trying to create a more responsive demand.

The most important thing to remember is that if the teams are selling out their 20,000-24,000 seat stadiums regularly, then they can make the argument that more fans are watching the games on TV and try to eventually get media contracts that don't suck. If you look at the modern sports industry, so much of the revenues are generated from television deals--just ask the NFL.

Needless to say, it's a lot easier to expand a stadium when the demand is great enough than to contract it because it's never more than 65% full on a regular basis.

14. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
  15. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Honestly for the forseeable future, too small > too large. Sellouts will look/sound great, and it will create a demand for tickets, which in turn will create a buzz. A demand for tickets will also help with any future expansion efforts.

16. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that stadium is awesome. someone said in the chicago forum that those still arent the offical ones that are being released today. they dont show the player entrance in the middle of field or the "dugout" style player boxes. i cant wait to see the offical ones and i cant wait to see dcu stadium when it gets going. we all know that dcu is going to have the best stadium in mls!

17. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I love the exterior images of the stadium with the brick facade. Wonderful.

The roof design, where it is used, is superb looking.

However, I believe that what you have is essentially a stadium with less roof coverage than the Home Depot Center. Fully 1/3 of the seats (and those with the supporters'). Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful stadium. However, in terms of atmosphere, if the supporters are not under the roof, you are loosing a HUGE part of the atmosphere potential.

As I've said in other threads and places, the most critical design element for a DC United stadium is that the supporters be under the roof, which means that the majority of the seating area be covered. In fact, I believe that the entire stadium should be covered if possible. I realize that this is likely cost prohibitive. Hence, there should be some recongnition of this in the design. Perhaps you've got to leave an entire sideline of seats uncovered or an entire end, who knows, but the main section of loud fans need a roof overhead to create the atmoshpere.

You keep seeing the cantilevered roof designs, which are great. However, this has got to be pretty costly. Even though it's antiquated, I'd like to see a design consider the old-fashioned (old-Tiger stadium style) post and beam roofs. This could keep costs down, and if done for a single stand behind a goal would really truly be a supporters section worthy of DC fans.

Cheers,
    Tim

18. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20,000 is perfect. Until the league averages 20 grand, we do not need to start thinking about expanding stadiums yet.

The way things have been planned, however, I would bet there is a plan in place for expanding the capacity of the stadium.

Best of all, 20,000 seats will encourage a ticket shortage, thus making a Fire ticket that more valuable and "presitigious"; especially when it comes to really big games. A great demand for tickets will put the Fire in the spotlight later on.

Finally, I can be proud of Chicago sports again!

19. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone please explain to me what constitutes a cantilevered roof? I think I have an idea, however, would like to be better informed on it.

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A cantilevered roof is one where the entire roof is support on one side.

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_bending/beam_bending8.htm

Run some quick calculations if you'd like :)

21. FusionRefugee

FusionRefugee Member

Sep 2, 2002
    "As I've said in other threads and places, the most critical design element for a DC United stadium is that the supporters be under the roof, which means that the majority of the seating area be covered. In fact, I believe that the entire stadium should be covered if possible. I realize that this is likely cost prohibitive. Hence, there should be some recongnition of this in the design. Perhaps you've got to leave an entire sideline of seats uncovered or an entire end, who knows, but the main section of loud fans need a roof overhead to create the atmoshpere."

The Riot squad and the Galaxians in the HDC aren't under the roof. We still make a ton of noise, but the fans that are under the roof are far more apt to make noise than they would have been otherwise, thus creating even more loud fans. So maybe those rowdy Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava types can merely serve as inspiration to the fans that will be amped up by the roof...I think you guys just need bleachers that bounce!

22. Diablo10

Diablo10 New Member

Arrrggghh!!! All this talk and viewing of other teams stadiums is killing me! I want one now for DCU!!! I have a sinking feeling that we'll be waiting longer than 2007 for a SSS for D.C. United. We seem to be the red headed step child in MLS and in D.C. when it comes to talk of a stadium for our beloved . While I would be happy to remain in RFK forever (if there were no baseball team coming) but, since we'll be sharing RFK with a baseball team, I want to get a new stadium asap.

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    The best news about the Chicago stadium?

They're claiming it will take 17 months to complete, and be ready for games during 2006.

This means that 2007 is still well within the realm of possibilities for DC United.

24. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I dunno about being the redheaded step child of MLS. 4 championships, Freddy Adu, and the best fans in the league can attest to that. I just think it's harder to build in Washington DC than somewhere like Bridgeview, IL. There is no conspiracy out there against DC.

I think it's about 50-50 that our stadium will be done in 2007.