St. Louis U. Billikens - 2002 edition (R)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by XYZ, Jul 17, 2002.

1. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Will SLU roll?

Missouri is 3-1-1 after a win over Ohio State tonite. I'd love to see them play SLU.

SLU will win this contest in the long run because they are beating Missouri in the recruiting battle over St. Louis players. Missouri players will get better playing experience in the Big 12, but I would still bet on SLU.

SLU has a good chance to end up high in CUSA, and should make their first NCAA's. Missouri will end up 4th or 5th in the BIG 12, and will stay on the bubble for selection.

2. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Right on! It's a rivalry made in heaven.

Actually, Mizzou and SLU have played each other. The 3 original DI programs in Missouri all started in the same year, 1996, and they all played each other the first three years. The programs are at St. Louis U, Missouri, and Southwest Missouri St. (there are now 5 DI programs in Missouri)

SLU beat Mizzou 2 out of 3 times. Of course, that was several years ago.

I think so, too. I'm not sure Missouri would want to play SLU every year for that very reason. Getting beaten by a 'lowly' C-USA team would not make either Missouri, or the Big 12, look very good.

I'd love to see those two teams play every year so we could find out who really is the best DI women's soccer team in Missouri. SLU could hold their own in that rivalry. (Although I'd have to say that SLU would not have won last year)

Rivalries with other teams in Missouri are not so great. SLU is 4-0-0 against Drury and 4-0-2 against Southwest Missouri St. The Bills have never played Southeast Missouri.

Even in their worst season (the nightmare that was 1998 :D), the Billikens managed to beat Drury 3-0.

Come to think of it, 1998 was the only time SLU lost to Mizzou. They lost to just about everybody that year. Or maybe it just seemed that way. (they were 7-12-1) Actually, they didn't do a whole lot better last year, but they do seem to have a much better team this year - with all those good freshmen and transfer students.

3. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    SLU v U of M

I ended up getting to go to the Bills match against the U of M Tigers. For the first 30 minutes nobody could make it past half way, the officiating was terrible - I thought it was Argentine girls soccer but since it was live I knew better.

SLU ends up winning 4 - 0, there was one good goal and three sloppy ones, one or two of them looked like own goals but I am not sure how they were recorded.

Meghann Burke got away with murder tonight, well she didn't kill anyone but she did give a Tiger a roundhouse right punch to the face and it was ignored by the officials. Knowing Meghann I would bet someone did something to her first, but it was a huge 'hush' in the crowd (most seemed to be for the Bills but alot, like myself, cheered both teams and boo'd the officials) as Meghann caught a corner and then hit the girl in the face with her right hand.

Anyway I had told everyone it would be 1 - 0 or 0 - 0 as SLU has no offense and Meghann is too good to let the Tigers score. Meghann was nearly perfect, her only fault was in that she did not deck the girl she hit.

4. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Re: SLU v U of M

One person you don't want to anger is Meghann Burke. :D My guess is also that somebody did something first. She doesn't strike me as a dirty player. Tough, not dirty.

Offense Powers Billikens 4-0 Over Memphis
    Senior Shannon Myers picks up the game winner in first C-USA contest.
    Sept. 20, 2002 - MEMPHIS, Tenn

From the Memphis website:
    Lady Tigers Fall To Saint Louis 4-0
    Memphis drops Conference-USA opener

Which means that SLU won their CUSA opener, and that's what counts.

So what is new? :D

Well, of course the Billikens lost to Connecticut last week. No surprise there.
    No. 12 UConn Tops Billikens 2-0
    Women's soccer generated chances in the second half, but couldn't overcome the two-goal deficit.

The Billikens have some unfinished business in C-USA, and I'm beginning to think this might be the year they get it done. After what happened in 1999, when the won the regular season title and lost in the 1st round of the conference tournament, they can take nothing for granted.

The Bills continue their C-USA schedule on Sunday in Burmingham against UAB. (Meanwhile, the men's team has UAB at home on Saturday night in the Gateway City) What the heck is a UAB??

Go Billikens!

5. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Women's Soccer Falls 4-2 at UAB
    Billiken rally falls short in rainy, sloppy conditions.

Two goals by Jamie Perry in the second half are not enough.

The Bills will be home next weekend for two more CUSA games, against Southern Miss on Friday and South Florida on Sunday.

6. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
  7. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Go Billikens!

Let go, Billikens!

Anny Lucier at sweeper! That was interesting. I think I like it.

Perry and Cigno Lift Billikens Past USM, 2-0
    Meghann Burke posts fourth shutout.
    Sept. 27, 2002

Oh, yea! ;)

On a beautiful fall evening in the Gateway City...

It shoulda been 3-0.
    But we'll settle for 2-0, and a conference win.

The goal of the day, perhaps the goal of the season, was the second goal. PRETTY!

It was almost as good as watching DIII women's soccer.

The 'pass of the day' goes to Jenny Kehl, although it didn't result in a goal.
    "pretty through ball" my butt! That was beautiful! Worth the price of admission.

But, after I had predicted (when the score was 1-0) that the Bills would score 3 goals, it was Kehl who missed the goal from 4 yards out. Oh, the humanity!! :D

The Bills also put one off the crossbar - but three goals were simply not to be.

It was another Meghann Burke shutout.

Box score

SCORING SUMMARY:
    22:59 SLU Jamie PERRY (Christie CIGNO, Tressa PECHER)
    74:03 SLU Christie CIGNO (Jamie PERRY, Lachlyne EASTMAN)

CAUTIONS AND EJECTIONS:
    YC-SLU #28 (73:13) Erin Schwetye
    (a very midgy yellow)

Shots: SLU - 11 , USM - 5
    Corners: SLU - 6 , USM - 2
    Saves: SLU - 3 (Burke), USM - 5 (Schoeplein)
    Fouls: SLU - 21, USM -
    Att: 1,080
    Weather: Clear, 80 degrees

The Bills host South Florida on Sunday, in another C-USA match-up.

Go Bills!

8. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Bills notch an easy win

On a great day in St. Louis, South Florida didn't provide too much of a challenge for the Bills. Anny Lucier, listed in the program as a forward, once again played sweeper, where she once again did a heck of a job. Have we settled on a sweeper, now? ;) Erin Schwetye had a great game. Jenny Kehl continues to rack up the points.

Schwetye Helps Billikens Past South Florida, 4-0
    Kehl notches two goals and an assist.
    SAINT LOUIS 4, SOUTH FLORIDA 0

Scoring:
    SLU 6:36 Jenny Kehl (Erin Schwetye)
    SLU 34:53 Anny Lucier (Schwetye)
    SLU 50:02 Christy Cigno (Kehl, Schwetye)
    SLU 58:43 Kehl (Kara Kornfield)

Shots: SLU - 9, USF - 4
    Corners: SLU - 4 , USF - 1
    Saves: SLU - 4 (Burke), USF - 3 (Bankester)
    Fouls: SLU - 10, USF - 21
    Offsides: South Florida 0, Saint Louis 3
    Att: 540

9. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Lucier Tabbed C-USA Defense Player of the Week
    Junior forward turned sweeper chosen by league coaches for award this week.
    (The injured player must be Megan McNiff.)

Women's Soccer Heads to Arizona for Tournament
    The Billikens have never played any of these teams.

Idaho State is 5-4-1 overall this season but is winless in its last three outings.
    Arizona is a 4-3-1 overall - split a pair of road games last week-end.
    Youngstown State is 1-7-0, having lost the last 7 in a row.

10. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Soccer America Recognizes Lucier

Forced to play sweeper because of an injury to a starting defender, the substitute forward suddenly turned starting sweeper is named to the Soccer America Team of the Week.

Go figure. But, having seen the two games she played sweeper, I can't argue with it.
    This is just the third time in Billiken women's soccer history that a player has been named to the SA Team of the Week. The only players who have previously been named to the Team of the Week are former sweeper Kelly Young and goalkeeper Meghann Burke.

11. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Soccer America spelled "Billikens" wrong. Oh, well, they got Lucier's name right.

12. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Yet another

Perry Sends Bills Past Idaho State 1-0

Yet another shut-out for Burke. Yet another goal for Perry.

I'm not sure, but maybe yet another assist for Jenny Kehl.

On Sunday, the Bills will play the winner of the Arizona / Youngstown St. game (in progress) That will almost certainly be Arizona.

13. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    SLU v Arizona, that would pit two of our Memphis Mercury GK's against each other, Burke and Amanda Martin.

14. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
  15. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    No Respect for Billikens

I saw in the Post Dispatch this am that Jenny Kehl took the Sports editor to task for lack of coverage of the Bills. High School teams get more coverage!

With all the local players, I would think there would be a lot of interest. But in St. Louis, the first thing a native asks you when you meet is what high school you went to, not your college. It's a caste system of sorts.

16. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    No respect for the Bills

Jenny Kehl's letter to the editor did alot of good. The Bills got three sentences of coverage for their victory in Arizona. At least someone who plays football in St. Louis is winning.

All I'm (not) hearing otherwise is the Silence of the Rams

17. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Thanks. MoHeelfan. I might have missed Kehl's comments entirely.

I found them online:
    St. Louis Post Dispatch: SOUND OFF

Kehl does have a point. I'd love to see more coverage of the women's team, but there's no comparing the women's team at SLU to the men's. The men's team has won 10 national titles, has been in the national torunament many times, and frequently plays and beats ranked teams. The women's team has never been in the national tournament, has rarely played ranked teams, and has never beaten a ranked team as far as I know. They did win the C-USA regular season title once, and, yes, they have a much shorter history but, the point is, as I always say, there's no way to compare men's and women's sports.

And there's no way to compare the coverage.

Sports get the coverage they deserve.

When they won the national tournament, the women's volleyball and basketball teams at Washington U. (Division III) did get coverage. And when the WU women's soccer team was in the national tournament, there was coverage of that, too.

The coverage has been somewhat in keeping with what they have accomplished. If the Billiken women's team wins the conference title and/or makes the national tournament and doesn't get coverage, then they'll have something to complain about.

As I said before, I'd love to see the women's team get more coverage.

But they may have to earn it.

Kehl says the women's team is in the midst of a great season.

I agree with that.

Go Billikens!!

What I'm wondering is: how many people who read that letter know who Jenny Kehl is.

18. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This topic sounds familiar

I know who Jenny Kehl is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm back everybody, after half a season of utter laziness I have returned to BS (waits for applause to die down). I do think this could be a very special year for the Lady Bills. They do still have a lot of games to play, but I do believe this could be the year we have real post-season play. Marquette will be a good challenge on Sunday, but I think with a few timely wins the Bills will make the Big Dance, just hope our first round ain't far from here.

19. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    From the Billiken website:
    Cigno Leads Bills Past DePaul 4-0
    Freshman Christie Cigno scored twice in women's soccer's fourth C-USA victory.
    Oct. 11, 2002

Another shut-out for Burke.

Maybe the Post dispatch read Jenny Kehl's letter? ;)
    From the St. Louis Post Dispatch:
    Cigno scores twice as the SLU soccer team shuts out DePaul
    Oct 12, 2002

Both Billiken teams are hot. (The men's team is on fire! Good Googily Moogily!)

Oh, yea.

The Billiken women's team host Marquette tomorrow (Sunday).

Go Bills!!

20. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depaul preview

Well the Men's Team being hot isn't a suprise. But Mega Props to the Women for winning last weeks tourament...........I believe this is their first tournament win ever. So congrats to them.......and Great Googily Moogily is correct........this is the year.......I do believe it. 2 not 1 but 2 teams in the National Tournaments............so Go Bills!!and Go Lady Bills!!

21. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Go Bills!

Billikens Play No. 14 Marquette to Scoreless Tie
    Burke records ninth shutout of the year
    Oct. 13, 2002

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, and an interesting game. It was pretty even in the first half. Marquette put a lot of pressure on the Billikens in the second half but they were unable to break the Bills' defense. SLU had some pretty good scoring chances of their own.

The Billikens are now 10-3-1, (4-1-1 C-USA), and unbeaten in their last 6 games.

A nil-nil draw was a just result against Marquette. The Billikens did show that they can play with any team in the conference (but we already knew that). I think they have a realistic shot at winning the conference title.

SAINT LOUIS 0, #14 MARQUETTE 0
    Shots: SLU - 11, MU - 20
    Corners: SLU - 4, MU - 4
    Saves: SLU - 13 (Burke-10, Team-3), MU - 8 (Koenig)
    Fouls: SLU - 18, MU - 14
    Att: 672

Burke Named C-USA Defensive Player of the Week

Homestand Continues This Weekend

Western Illinois (1-10-1) on Friday night. (non-conference)

C-USA opponent East Carolina (7-3-2) should be more of a challenge on Sunday.

22. fanmaster

fanmaster New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    memphis, tn
    Ah, Burke v Kate Gordon, two of the outstanding 2002 Memphis Mercury.

23. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    It was cold and drizzling rain.

Well, it was raining. The game against the Western Illinois Westerwinds was not exactly what I expected. The rain I expected. I was not surprised that the Billikens outshot the Westerwinds 28-1, and had 18 corners to the Westerwinds' none.

But good googily moogily! Put the ball in the friggin' goal, will ya?

I mean, shessh! I know the chances of the Westerwinds beating the Billikens are slim and none but, goodness, gracious, you have to score at least one goal to win.

Not that I'm complaining.

I remember a rainy Friday night in 1998 - watching the Bills get their butts kicked yet again (they lost to just about everybody that season), in the pouring rain out at Field #4 at Soccer Park. (Field #4 because the grass on #1 had been attacked by a fungus). Compared to that game in 1998, last night's game was a delight.

A delight because the Bills are back. Back on campus at beautiful Hermann Stadium. And they're back on track. Raining, you say? Not to worry - the field at Hermann Stadium (a mixture of 5 strains of bluegrasses) drains 10 inches of rain an hour. (That's right. The root zone is 10" deep and composed of 8,400 tons of peat moss and sand. Below that are 3,100 tons of pea gravel. Yea, the field can take a little rain. :D)

Ah, but back to the game. How many times did the Bills put crosses into the box only to miss attempts at headers? I wasn't counting, but it was a lot. Either the Bills are too short, or they can't head the ball. (insert paraphrase of a Tony DiCicco's comment about 'a bunch of midgets' ;-))

Sure, the Bills dominated. But you have to score.
    So, the game was 0-0...

until the 58th minute, when Kelly Ferguson finally cracked one from 12 yards - about friggin time!! Sheesh! :D That was the only goal of the game.

All in all, not so bad, despite the rain and the poor finishing. A win is a win, and it was never really in doubt - it wasn't as if the Westerwinds were a threat to score. (although, according to the boxscore, they had a shot - and Burke had a save)

Billikens Swamp WIU, 1-0
    Burke ties school record with 10th shutout

I'd hardly call 1-0 'swamping' an opponent - and it would have to rain a lot harder than that before there'd be any standing water on that field.

The Bills are now 11-3-1, and unbeaten in their last 7 games. They host East Carolina, a C-USA opponent, on Sunday.

SCORING
    58:23 SLU 5 Kelly FERGUSON unassisted

Shots: SLU - 28, WIU - 1
    Corners: SLU - 18, WIU - 0
    Saves: SLU - 1 (Burke), WIU - 14 (Cowhey)
    Fouls: SLU - 16, WIU - 11
    Weather: Steady rain, 60 degrees
    Attendance: 869

24. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Pirates Top Bills 2-1 on Controversial Goal

Aargh! Well, it was a beautiful day, weatherwise. The game didn't go well for the Bills. The highlight was the Jenny Kehl goal, which rolled slowly into the net.

I was in no position to see whether the controversial goal was over the line or not. I did see Meghann Burke go out almost to midfield to argue with the ref.

I did see the play late in the game when Perry was tripped in the box - it should have been a PK, fer sure. Even before that I had decided that the ref was pretty bad - making wrong-way calls both ways, for the most part.

I'm not sure who would have won if there had been a better ref. The Billikens had their chances but didn't finish them. Can't blame that on the ref.

East Carolina has a pretty decent team.

EAST CAROLINA 2, SAINT LOUIS 1
    ECU 37:01 Amanda Duffy 6-yd header off Mindy Nixon cross
    SLU 66:57 Jenny Kehl 12 yds from Megan McNiff
    ECU 70:51 Rachelle Cabaceiras 6-yd header off scramble

Shots: SLU - 14, ECU - 6
    Corners: SLU - 3, ECU - 2
    Saves: SLU - 1 (Burke), ECU - 6 (Kmiotek)
    Fouls: SLU - 13, ECU - 15
    Att: 584

25. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OY

It is one of the most horrible things on earth when you have a great match that gets ruined by a pathetic job by the ref. I like to see these matches decided by the game itself and not a man in a neutral color. I think the Bills coulda earned a draw.......and don't forget there was a lot of pushing and shoving and holding on the 2nd goal for East Carolina. He no called there.............which oddly enough annoyed SLU and then he got all "you were mad at me, well I'll give you a reason and I'll show you that I run this game." It was horrible and ruined my mood for the rest of the day. I don't wanna talk nemore about this LOL.