St Louis Post Dispatch: MLS for St. Louis?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by rlrcpa, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    Obviously, if this were to work out, it would be great. The league has wanted to be in St Louis for quite a while, due to both the city's soccer history, and the number of players currently in the league with St Louis ties.

My only fear, though, is overcoming the "east side stigma." Many people who live in St Louis won't go across the river unless they absolutely have to. Even if it's only a few miles, many people simply refuse to, because they think that East St Louis is nothing but run-down factories, ghettos, and strip clubs. Hopefully, MLS will help them overcome that stigma. But, most people would have to drive right by a brand new-beautiful baseball stadium (St Louis Cardinals will always be the first team in town).

But, obviously, I would be excited if it happened. Just tell me where to sign up for season tix.

As for names....

St. Louis Steamers (the city's indoor soccer team has used this twice, and it ties in the rich river city history)
    St. Louis Explorers (Lewis and Clark didn't leave very far from here)
    St. Louis Kings (if Budweiser becomes the main sponsor, which seems most likely)
    St. Louis Brewers (still ties in the beermaking history)
    St. Louis Browns (former name of American League baseball team, and it ties in new colors for MLS. Also, somewhat a traditional soccer name, in that it's simply the team color)

Any other "traditional" soccer name, such as "St Louis FC/SC," "FC/SC St Louis," "St Louis Rangers," etc.

I hope they don't try to use anything like "arch" or "show me" in the team name.

2. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Its not an arch, you know. Its a catenary curve.

http://www.spaceagecontrol.com/calccabl.htm

To me, East Saint Louis = Josephine Baker.

'Dreadnaught' Is a great military history book by Robert Massie. It refers to the first of the new class of Battleships which started the Anglo-German naval arms race prior to the Great War.

You know Im old because I used the term Great War and made reference to Josephine Baker.

since were in a Euro match naming pattern how about combining a local feature with a Euro-cop.

New Madrid FC.

3. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They mostly think that because it's true.

(But hey, I just went over there last month to see Flogging Molly. Great concert.)

Amen.

Steamers= Don't evoke indoor soccer memories. Besides, the name is still in use.
    Explorers= I don't like it, but that's just personal opinion.
    Kings= Already used for two other pro sports teams.
    Brewers= Too tied into Milwaukee by this point, I mean they play in the Cardinals division now.

but...
    Browns= That's a great idea. It isn't a ripoff of anyone else's team and it ties into St. Louis sports history. It's the best suggestion I've heard so far.

4. rlrcpa

rlrcpa Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic!

5. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    The problems with that would be:

A) Most people, across the country, do not know of the New Madrid Fault, so the name would be lost on most people

B) The Fault Line is actually quite far from St Louis, so it really isn't relevant

C) Because we're American and we like to change everything, we don't even pronounce "Madrid" the same way as the city name--we put the stress on the first syllable.

Agreed, I just wasn't trying to upset any east-side visitors

Like it or not, indoor soccer has been the only soccer history this city has had over the past 20 years. Besides, the Steamers uniforms of the mid 1980s were stylish. Getting the rights to the name would not be an issue, if they went that way.

True, but I'm not sure why that's a problem..."United" is used by hundreds of teams. "Rangers" is also used by two pro sports teams in the US.

Well, even though it ties into our history, it would also be a ripoff of the "Cleveland Browns." Then again, St Louis might end up getting a team at the expense of Cleveland. So why not take the name too, and really rub it in their face?

6. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

Lansing Ignite, Lansing United
    United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about putting the 'anal' in 'analysis'...

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am all for St. Louis getting a team as long as MLS doesn't use the normal behind-the-scenes tinkering to rob my Revs of Noons, TT, and Iron Steve.

I like the Clydesdales name but only if A-B steps up big time as a sponsor. I'd be averse to naming the team anything you find in other American leagues (no Kings, no Brewers). My ideas:

"American style"
    St. Louis Olympics (held 'em in 1904)
    St. Louis Explorers or St. Louis Pioneers (Lewis & Clark)

"Euro style"
    River City FC
    St. Louis 1803 (heh)

Whatever they name 'em, I hope they incorporate the city flag, it's a nice one:

[​IMG]

8. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The St. Louis Browns were around 42 years before the Cleveland Browns. They ripped it off, not us.

Although it would kind of rub it in their face, wouldn't it? No offense, Cleveland fans. I wish we could both have teams. I can think of several current cities that don't deserve it as much as either St. Louis or Cleveland. (Salt Lake City and Toronto...I'm looking in your directions...)

9. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of incorporating the flag, too.

If we wanted to copy the ill-fated Houston name, however, St. Louis was founded in 1764.

10. storming06

storming06 Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How about the St. Louis Saints?

11. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're determined to copy foreign teams (which the MLS seems to like), it could be Santos.

12. Angus Podgorney

Feb 25, 2006
    St. Louis
    We're getting a WPSL team named River Cities FC that will be playing on the East side. They're playing their home games at CBC High School this summer, then moving into their own stadium next year.

Web site: http://www.rivercitiesfc.com/

Using the city flag is a nice idea, but with the city of St. Louis being cut off from St. Louis county back in 1876, not sure if they'd go for that.

With all of the references to Anheuser Busch products, they could call them the Eagles and use the eagle from the AB crest on the shield. (I know, the Eagles exist in the NFL, but there have been various amateur teams around STL called the Eagles for years.)

13. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the county doesn't have a flag, and the city's flag is cool.

14. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great for St Louis to get an expansion MLS team. I would love to see it. The geographic location is perfect and creates many natural rivalries. The past was great and St Louis WAS once a soccer hotbed but we have to look for new ideas. Across the river in East St Louis is not a good choice. There is going to be a lot of highway construction which will cause logistical problems.

I would like to know who is involved in the ownership group looking to bring the MLS to St Louis. I do not believe Michael Huyghue is working alone. I believe he is working with a group of people here in St Louis to bring MLS to St Louis. Hughue was working with the Jacksonville Jaguars when the NFL expansion occurred a few years back. Remember they were in a fight with St Louis to get an NFL team during that time. I would believe he would know a lot about the St Louis area and would know many of the players that were involved with both efforts.

I can not wait for more information but until then I will support the St Louis Lions of the PDL who start play on May 13th. www.stllions.com

I wish the Post-Dispatch would talk about them as well. The Lions are at least here already.

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mad, mad props. :)

16. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I have always said that St. Louis would be a great market for soccer.

1. Their youth soccer teams and programs are some of the best in the country.
    2. All St. Louis teams have great fan support(minus this year for the Blues no city would support a team that bad)

It would create a natural rival with Chicago and Kansas City

Rivermen F.C.
    Explorers S.C
    St. Louis 1803

17. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See previous post: it's 1764

18. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting the stadium in East St. Louis would be a disaster, IMO. I lived in Missouri for nine years (Columbia and Cape Girardeau) and visited St. Louis hundreds of times, and not ONCE did I ever hear anyone say anything nice about the "east side." Most spoke about it with a measure of trepidation in their voice, as in, if you go to the east side, be ready for a drive-by shooting. Not only would it be extremely difficult to get families over there, trying to get traffic across the bridges is always a nightmare in the evening. Bad idea. Bad idea.

19. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I won't fault you for that.

20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Excuse me, could you please tell me how to get back on the express way?"

"Fo' Free? ******** yo mama!!!!!"

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis is a historic soccer city in this country and they should be honored with an expansion fanchise. If all the talent that from the St. Louis area is called back, the club instantly becomes championship caliber. Of course, MLS would have to get rid of the single entity, the draft, and the expansion draft to get those homegrown players. If this is indeed true, and they get a club, its a short trip my KY.

As far as names, I like the Stars. It could serve as a tribute to the great players that have called St. Louis home.

22. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't there a Kansas City KS and a East St. Louis IL? There seems to be those cities in Mapquest. So is it really on the wrong side of the border. Isn't it really more about where is the best location / affordable location to put a stadium.

23. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw well, its a good name! Good luck to 'em.

I guess it would depend on whether they wanted to project an image of representing the city of the general metro area.

You know the A-B shield sort of resembles Crystal Palace, who are also the "Eagles."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and I picked the "1803" date as the year St. Louis was purchased by the United States, by the way. Figured that made it a little different that Houston's date-of-founding name.

24. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it didn't stop them from putting a race car track in Madison, Ill. it holds 140,000 people and pretty much packs 'em in for IRL and Nascar Busch series races. i've been to a race over there ... there's no Clark Griswold-style detours. it's pretty rural once you cross the bridge.

25. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louis XIV FC