St Louis Players thread

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 16, 2010.

1. TetsuoShima

TetsuoShima New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    St. louis Metro East
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Darius Jovon

Darius Jovon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We would still be missing Wilfrid Loizeau, the Guadaloupe international. Whom in my opinion have been most anxious to see play right beside Guachinho and Kante.

4. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what happened to Loizeau. Anybody?

5. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Tom Timmermann this past Friday:
    "Zack Bauer has a fractured foot and will be out 4 to 6 weeks"

[I'm sure this was posted elsewhere (should have been anyway) but I obviously missed it
    figured this was the appropriate place to put it anyway]

6. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think that our team's injury problems have surpassed crazy levels.

7. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Unless Ralston and McCarthy are on the pitch, we will continue to average 2-3 shots on goal>>> A seasoned pro mid and a fast winger\stiker is what we need to jump start this offense - which has been non-existant

8. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Also - Good move by Anelka with the 4-5-1 - They were a better defensive team vs Portland – we were giving up way too many goals – as the center halves were getting smoked every game…poor keeper must be having nightmares....what we need to do going forward is possess the ball and defend like their lives depended on it…simple formula but the possession will be the hard thing to do as they need players who know when and where to pass the ball….that would mean better decesion making

9. VFL Wolfsburg

VFL Wolfsburg New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    I wouldn't go as far as "non-existant." Some of these guys don't even know each other's names yet. It will come in time. Each game has been a great improvement from the last. The goals will come. I'm not so sure that we need Ralston to do this. Team play as a unit will bring offense and goals.

10. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we are definitely getting better. Here's a good way to look at us now.
    We dropped the first 4 games and only scored 2 goals and gave up 8 goals.
    Our last 3 games, we're 1-1-1, scored 3 goals and gave up 3 goals. That's major improvement.
    Let's hope we can add positively to those stats after Saturday and take a clear look at our first 4 games versus our 4 most recent.

11. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    ....The game doesnt change because your not familar with other players names - but I was hoping Anelka was putting in the link system with the addition of the Brazilian players - and we would be able to get the ball in the top third; well at least play it wide and cross in to the box - seems that only exists on corners - but nevertheless - we need more shots on goal, Gretsky made it clear - the more you shoot - the more you score. Difficult soccer to watch though - something as simple as the throw in ....two guys check to the ball, one guy makes a run...you give him a look...but you play the ball to the feet of the player checking..step in bounds and get the ball back (since no one marks the player throwing it in) you pass the ball back and reset - penetrate and looks for seems on the floor - turnovers are what kill teams....throwing the ball in to a group of players is not how you play the game-that is 50-50 - we need to cut down those turnovers, same as whoops - you turn over your inbound passes - your sitting the bench on the basketball court....same in soccer....throw the ball out of bounds consistantly in basketball - you sit the bench. if we can not execute the simple things, continue to turnover the ball and make bad decesions - then knowing each others name doesnt really matter - players should know the game at this level- the defense should control the ball and distribute wide - "clear it" or kick the ball out of bounds is amateurish - We are playing two different styles of soccer - American Style and Foreign style...a team divided can not win - we have to play one style - it will take awhile - I agree - but let's play good soccer from the start- win or lose so we can be effective down the road .... winning should not be a priority - fans will come if it is good soccer and exciting, win or lose .... just my opinion

12. KingHenrik

KingHenrik New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that Ralston will at least create chances. Still don't expect goals to shoot up astronomically, but if he's healthy enough I think he can spring some chances. Will be great to see him in when he does. What are the chances he makes his deubt Saturday?

13. VFL Wolfsburg

VFL Wolfsburg New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    My point was, that our team has made a huge improvement. Playing as a unit, with organized plays will come in time. How does each player even know what the other player is thinking? This comes in time, and playing together will achieve this goal. 11 strangers do not make up a team. You must know your team in order to be effective. Our team has made great strides between the first and last games.

14. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

While soccerwolf does make some valid points above, I disagree with checking every throw back to the thrower. A good throw-in in the offensive half to someone making a run can create real chances.

I agree with Wolfsburg that players do need to know each other to work together effectively. Great teams have forwards and mids who always know where each other will be or when someone is going to cut to goal. Getting used to playing together will help ball possession and ball movement and cut down on turnovers. They're definitely improving, though.

15. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    When I said a player makes a run and you take a look - I was saying - yes if he is open .... throw him the ball .... maybe it didnt read like that. Thanks! But in a 4-5-1, the player up front really needs to hold the ball until the mids get up field. I like Cole, I think he is our best player. I like Titton but would like to see him at left back and I like Bloom upfront. Kante is a rock and we need him in the middle of the pitch. Not sure about Gauchino...didn't show me much...but we nee Ralston badly and speed up front - just to keep their D in check

16. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, IMO, we really need to look elsewhere then Ralston. We just need to take him out of the equation as far as looking forward to him and relying on him because as good as he is, he is an older player and once he starts playing he could easily be out again. And next time it could be the rest of the season, or it could be for good. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be great when he does get in and touches the ball, but we just shouldn't get our hopes up with him.

17. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    A veteran mid like Ralston out there might help get the teamwork going. Even if he's out again after four games he can have a long-term impact. I hope.

18. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  19. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be pretty sweet. You never know. If he's not worried about money then there is always a chance.

20. VFL Wolfsburg

VFL Wolfsburg New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
  21. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time to bring him back...

DOUBLE D!

22. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    joking obviously.....its on mlsrumors!

23. VFL Wolfsburg

VFL Wolfsburg New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Oh, I know. I thought it was hillarious. Good stuff!

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cost cutting measures are in effect. Is Ralston gone?
    http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2010/...mbling-to-save-team-ralston-to-return-to-mls/

Also says that non-resident players might be asked to be paid not to play. This list includes Mark Bloom, Hagop Chirishian, Troy Cole, Jeff Cosgriff, Alec Dufty, Gauchinho, Manuel Kanté, Luke Kreamalmeyer, John Lesko, Ryan Moore, Christian Nzinga, Anthony O’Garro, Gilbert Pogesyan.

25. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Any chance we get a transfer fee from New England/MLS for Ralston? That could help with the finances a little. Plus, it seems fair since we basically paid him to rehab and now they get him back healthy, and it would be a nice goodwill gesture to keep pro soccer alive in the city that has given New England so many of their players. Also, I'm pretty sure they still haven't spent all their money from selling Dempsey.