SSV Update: Amanpour backs out

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by quakesfan2003, Nov 1, 2004.

1. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be great.....

But how much time is AEG going to give to SSV and others to follow through on obtaining what is obviously a long and difficult road toward getting a stadium. Good grief. Look at the MetroStars and how long Harrison is taking and thats with a significant amount of local political support.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sam Pierron again.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, several "deadlines" have passed, yet the Earthquakes are still here. :)

There's still work to be done, but the hoops that each MLS team needs to jump through to get an SSS varies from market to market. So perhaps it'll be sooner here than it is in Harrison, or perhaps it'll take longer... or maybe it'll take the same amount of time.

I suppose we'll find out soon (particularly if the correct candidates get elected to, and the correct incumbents remain in, the Santa Clara city council today ;) ).

-G

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    You tell us.

Don't really want to know.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm holding out hope for this:

"However, a source said a likely scenario for next season, barring a last-minute deal to sell or share operating rights to the club, is AEG agreeing to another season in San Jose as it and SSV search for investors and/or potential buyers as well as a stadium."

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. However, I hadn't seen this:

"Quakes staff members are supposed to be notified early next week as to the team's future. "

8. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    That's what caught my attention.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were told the same thing shortly before Sept.17th - and as we know, they were still here by Sept. 18th.

They could also be informed that they'll continue to work in uncertainty as the Quakes stay in San Jose "at least one more year".

We'll find out soon, I guess.

-G

10. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    Ya know, I am starting to wish that SSV and Tony Amanpour would have just butt out so AEG could keep us at a 12 team league next season. We could have sold off SanJose to Club America and moved them to Houston and been done with it and ready in time for next season. Now with no time left on the clock and Tony and SSV blowing smoke up everybodys butt, AEG may have to get rid of San Jose all together with no team to put up fast enough. Hence an 11 team league which really sucks for scheduling and standings and divisions.

Nice work. I feel sorry for you guys!!! This whole thing just sucks ass for MLS and co. :mad:

11. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is about zero chance of an eleven team league next year. And we are sincerely sorry that our efforts to save our team have caused you such irritation.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wow, that's harsh.

I'm not going to defend Amanpour as it sounds like he was all sizzle and no steak and shut up when it was time to put up.

But, I can't fault SSV for doing all the can to try and keep their team in their area. If it was my team, I'd hope that I would be a part of a group of fans doing the same thing.

This is their team and they're fighting to keep it. If, a by-product of their effort is that it kills off the Club America/Texas deal and AEG does decide to kill the Quakes and MLS has 11 teams next year, that will definitely suck for MLS and for MLS fans. But, you know who it will suck for the most? The hardcore fans in San Jose and they have nothing to lose at this point and if killing the Club America deal is a by-product of their efforts, this is a hit that I'm willing to take as a soccer fan in this country because I'd rather have fans that care as much as they do, even if it causes an unintended and temporary set back.

Having said all that, I doubt very seriously MLS will let the Quakes fold. Can't guarantee they'll be in the Bay area next year, but with expansion coming, the last thing Garber & Co. want is for the stories to read "MLS is adding two teams but losing one..." and having that temper the good vibes that expansion is supposed to create.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not gonna happen. Besides, why the need to put up a new team when one already exists (and will continue to exist) here?

-G

14. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA HA....kids these days :D

Be careful....you'll shoot your eye out kid.

15. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town

Hey man, sorry about that. I didnt mean to lump you in with Tony A and co. But I have to ask you man, Why didnt ya do a little background research on this guy before you brought him to the table??

I am just curious. FYI I am a member of SSV so dont beat on me too much.

16. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am an SSV Founder. Thank you for becoming a member and supporting our effort.

I can't really go into detail on what kind of background search was done. However, you must keep in mind that only so much information is available via a background search....basically, public record type information. We cannot look into his bank accounts, etc..... It would have been AEG who would have run an authorized credit check on him.

And, since you are a SSV member you surely will remember the email sent out on Friday that clearly states that SSV has asked Tony A to step aside. While it wouldn't be professional of me to elaborate on the reasons for that, I will do my best to give you enough credit to figure out that we had enough reason to send out that letter with that specific language in it.

In closing...I can hardly say that we (SSV) have been blowing any type of smoke. We've been very honest and upfront about what is going on. Sometimes it's good news, and at others times it is not. However, the fact remains that we are moving forward in the same aggressive manner that we have been. The investors that Tony A had were a result of our efforts. We've made that very clear.

As we move forward we must continue to look in that direction....forward. Tony A is in the past, and SSV felt that our best chance at success was to move forward without him. We must now focus on what needs to be accomplished as I feel the Tony A discussion as obviously run it's course already, and not much more really needs to be said.

17. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Wow. So sorry to bum out your trip, man.

In the mean time, Mr. Oster has some advice for you:

[​IMG]

1. Set on/off switch to on.
    2. Set power to "High."
    3. Stick your fingers inside.

18. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Tony who??? :D

19. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member