Squash

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rickster, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Any other squash players out there?

There's a lot for BSers to love since it involves obscurity, footwork, fitness, geometry and a love/hate relationship with the Commonwealth.

I love playing; don't know much about the pro game. Wouldn't mind exchanging pointers and information.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the racketball/raquetball players began taking over all the reservation slots on my beloved handball courts, my buddies and I switched to squash.

When I have a partner, I play the international (yellow dot) ball and the U of M Intramurals building, within walking distance of my house, has some old international-proportions courts in it.

I don't follow the professionals at all, but I do enjoy playing the game.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I LOVED playing racquetball when I was in college...now that everyone moved away I don't have a partner.
    :(

----

What are the differences between squash and racquetball? At the rec center at my alma mater...I think we only have one squash court and three r-ball courts.

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raquetball is more of a power game. Squash is more finesse and strategy, and in general it requires you to run more than r-ball. Plus there are some fairly significant rule differences (where the serve has to go, what's out, etc.). I think if you give it a chance, you'd probably like it.

I like all three, but of the three, handball is my favorite. But I don't think they even use the same (hard) ball anymore. Most guys I see playing are playing handball with a raquetball.

5. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Used to be huge here - on the back of a lot of world champions - Geoff Hunt, Heather McKay, Michelle Martin etc.

I played heaps when I was at school and uni, but not a lot since (bad knees from football).

Most of the squash centres around Sydney have closed down now - being knocked down and replaced by apartment blocks.

6. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I have found squash to be great for my soccer. The fitness demands are heavy as you are always on the move. The ball is not too bouncy, so rallies are long and you have to outmaneuver your opponent, rather than out smash him. A good squash game leaves me with the same feeling as soccer: "I think every muscle in my legs is sore."

It's popular in the yuppy urban Northeast, but I don't think much of the rest of the country gives a hoot.