Spurs vs. Watford, PL, Jan. 30, 3 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Maybe they should have VAR for ball boys, every game could have a special VAR ball boy monitoring the activity from a London studio

Count Chocula repped this.
  2. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    4 of the top 6 dropped points. We didn't.

Son back, Llorente scored the winner (Will do wonders for his confidence which looked shot). Depth on the bench again. Another game ticked off before Dele and Kane pull on the shirt again.

Went the long way round, but we got there tonight. COYS!!!

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Well, I am going out for a celebratory walk, it is a balmy 7 degrees Celsius here in downtown Vancouver (sorry) (none of that Farenheit stuff for us Canucks).

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    First half we controlled the game as Watford looked to hit us on the counter with Deulofeu and Deeney. Poor defending from a corner meant we had it all to do in the 2nd half, but the introduction of Moura made a huge difference. Watford were forced back, but could have gone 2-0 up just before Son's equaliser had Success not missed a sitter on an excellent knock down from Deeney. After a so-so game, which included one of the misses of the season, Llorente picked the right time to do what he did so often when he was with Swansea. With Llorente in the side, our crossing and delivery from set pieces has to improve, but a massive 3 points that will have the Arsenal and Man U supporters throwing their tellies out the window.

5. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    what a ********ing unbelievable game!
    forget about fergie time, it's spurs time, baby!
    great round for us!
    COYS!

Golara repped this.
  6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That feeling when you've spent a good 15 minutes of the game on goal kicks and it's all for nothing.

Golara and Funkfoot repped this.
  7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Llorente is no Harry Kane, but he's no Roberto Soldado or Vincent Janssen, either. He looks rusty, but still scoring goals.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Still doesn't beat Joe Hart's sprint to take a goal kick in stoppage time after Eriksen's late winner against Burnley (after taking an age over his goal kicks all day) - even Sean Dyche was laughing in the technical area, he probably thought that's the most he's run since he signed him.

I think there should be a new law where if a goalkeeper has been time-wasting during the game, he has to wait 40 seconds before taking the goal kick if his team goes behind.

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My first competitive game in person, since the bad old days. Honestly can't remember when the last one was, not counting those silly preseason tours.

Even though the team is light years better, watching the game felt oddly familiar. Struggling like mad to get anything out of a game against a weaker opponent. Walking into and out of the game amid masses of navy-clad humanity, shouts of "Yid Army!" all around.

Some things were different, though. Being out-sung by the visitors was shocking. And it ended with a win. That didn't used to happen much, in my memory.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    so you're over, then? damn shame about the stadium delays - when you booked airfare, I suspect you were expecting to go to the new Lane.

I'm over in April, and if we're not in, I'll be gutted. I've no desire to go back to Wembley - unless it's in a cup final, of course.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't hold your breath.

Just watched the highlights. Man, both Son and Llorente celebrated with that air of "Fvck yeah, we will score!"

12. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, business trip, so I couldn't control when. Up until a month ago I had hope for the new place...

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    don't worry. I'm definitely in the "it won't happen until it happens" camp and have been since September. but a week or two back it looked all but certain that we wouldn't be in until next season. now the rumors are that we're scheduling test events and the problem appears solved.

obviously both are examples of things that should not be taken at face value. I guess what I'm saying is that my position's inverse is also true - that I'm not counting it out until it's been counted out.

fingers crossed, then.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Happens all the time anymore - all over England.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The official attendance was 29,164, which means if Watford sold out their allotment of 3,000 tickets, we only managed to draw 26,000 of our own fans for an important game. The irony is that Wembley is actually geographically closer to Vicarage Road than WHL! It is strange how England shows so much negativity towards Wembley, whereas in other countries it's considered an honour to play in your national stadium. Maybe it's the corporate nature of the Wembley experience that has turned off fans. Certainly, playing the FA Cup semi-finals and all the England home fixtures there has taken away some of the magic of the stadium.

The problem with playing at Wembley for us is it's a big day out for the away support, so they are going to be more amped up than usual, while our support is spread out amongst the great expanse of Wembley and we don't have those traditional pockets of supporters who have sat together for years. Add to that the fact Brent Council hate having us come over there and have done everything in their power to make it the most miserable fan experience possible.

16. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so watching the highlights, that goal spurs gave up was shockingly bad. lloris misjudged the flight of the ball, so was out of position, then theres 2 Watford players at the endpoint of the balls flight, with only sanchez to deal with both. and if the ball woulda somehow got past that bunch, there was a Watford player all alone to clean up

awful marking strategy

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It feels like we have conceded a ton of goals from set pieces, but that was only the 6th goal we have conceded from a set piece in the league (and 3 of them have been to Watford), while we have scored 11 ourselves. But I agree, with the size we have, we shouldn't be caught out like we were yesterday.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, from afar, it is two things. First is that the FA work their asses off to not want anybody playing in Wembly apart from national team games and the designated cup matches. The tone of the announcements which come about non-traditional matches are one of, "If we must, but don't get comfortable." Other countries, as I interpret, are more along lines of "It is a honor to host such a noteworthy match." Second, for the most part, the national team stadium is also used by a club team, if there is a national stadium designated.

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the fundamental problem is that it's nothing like a matchday at N17 - and none of the differences are for the better. it's a bitch to get to and from* (not that N17's easy), there are no decent boozers around, it's expensive, and it's just not home.

honestly, if the Huddersfield match is at Wembley, and it conflicts with Sheffield Wednesday @ Leeds, I'll probably do the latter (assuming I can get an away ticket). there is no way I would consider such an option if either the new or old Lane were hosting.

*actually, it's probably not that bad if only 30k turn up.