Spurs vs The Arsenal, EPL Match Day 36, 12 May 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, May 9, 2022.

1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Man if only we had a talented young centreback somewhere, would have been mighty stupid of us if we did and we sent him on loan... Oh...

Horrendous match. Worst possible outcome possible.

Hopefully this season is the last we see of Cedric and Holding.
    We need LB and RB depth.

daedalus and cantona94 repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Arteta Raus

daedalus, Tonerl and Silva 5 repped this.
  3. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not ready to part with Holding. He's a solid backup CB willing to play the role of solid backup CB. He does have a mean steak in him though. He needs to learn when to turn it off.

daedalus, CarlosKaiser, Tonerl and 3 others repped this.
  4. KevinJRogers

KevinJRogers Member

NYCFC | VfB Stuttgart
    United States
    Jan 29, 2022
    Clifton Park, N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt about it. Going in I thought sixth was most likely, with fifth maybe in reach with a little luck. To fall to it instead of reach for it is a little tough to take, though.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And I think his indiscipline tonight was partly his emotions and partly (as Lee Dixon suggested) that he was scared of what Son could do to him.

6. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy idea: what if instead of sending a player off the team is forced to sub him out with that player receiving a 1 or 2 match ban depending on the severity of the offense. It's a bit silly that a match should be ruined by the actions of one player or by the misjudgements of a referee. And nothing ruins a match quite like a sending off.

daedalus repped this.
  7. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check yourself, Rob. Heung-min Son is not Diego Costa :ROFLMAO:

daedalus and Tonerl repped this.
  8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Crazy stuff happens sometimes. We've got enough talent to win at Newcastle. And who knows? Burnley might do us a solid.

daedalus and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC just focused on the first tussle between Holding & Son. I missed this during the game but Son actually throws an elbow to the neck. There was debate about whether that coulda even been straight red. Nothing was called. And honestly I felt that Holding was considered the instigator in that first coming together, and that the HR factored that in when awarding him the first yellow.

Although it's not the only reason we lost, losing Holding and playing with 10 definitely was a major factor. Plus we lose him for at least the Newcastle game, when both Gabi & White look to be questionably fit? Too bad we can't just ring up Saliba and say get your butt over here.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  10. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #160 Tonerl, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Somebody in a comments section somewhere said Xhaka was 1 yellow short of a 2-match ban for accumulation. Is that accurate? Cuz we’re going to be in trouble without him, especially if Gabriel is done for the year. Feels like the thin squad finally caught up to us in this moment.

Still, it’s a giant billboard in the face of the ownership and brain trust advertising how much work the squad needs this summer.

ETA: Just checked and that is not correct. He had 9 but a tenth only means a ban if it happens before matchday 32.

daedalus and ArsenalJake repped this.
  11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Son certainly was riled up by Holding’s attention in those early exchanges and he definitely has a petulant streak. I don’t think that’s a red at all but I did notice it at the time and I think a yellow was probably warranted.

Tierney is rubbish.

Deep Wilcox, daedalus and KevinJRogers repped this.
  12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple random thoughts:

We actually did some interesting things when we were down to ten, Saka helping out in midfield chief among them. Game state caveats, obviously, but on several occasions he received the ball and turned on it, drove forward and played a pass in behind to create a dangerous situation. We know he isn’t afraid to mix it up physically and is perfectly willing to do defensive work. If we buy a winger could Saka be the 8 we need?

Kulusevski is a real unlikeable character on the pitch, isn’t he? Thuggish and divey, the worst combination.

daedalus, KevinJRogers and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No need to make up for it, because sadly it sounds like I had the better of the deal today. Thank goodness for the cushion in the standings.

Based on accounts I'm almost as disappointed about the performance as I am the result. Losing away at this S***s side isn't anything of which to be ashamed. Failing to compete, however, is embarrassing. Hopefully this sparks in the lads a response like after the 3-game losing streak.

14. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we do that and Pepe isn't the winger we need, then (sorry pre-mature, wishful thinking avatar) we need to swallow that pill, sell his ass now and realize that $50million dollar loss.

15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Pepe, but he’s just never going to be it for Arteta. Gotta sell.

yossarian, daedalus and cantona94 repped this.
  16. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, Arteta doesn't like anyone Arsenal spent a fortune on :ROFLMAO:

17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Should have done this. Tomi-Holding-Gabriel back 3 doesn't leave Holding as exposed and puts Son up against the best defender in the squad. I don't think Arteta gave his team the best chance to succeed and that mattered more than anything else.

18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    A few got a bit carried away when they were proclaiming he should start over White after he did well at West Ham. Son is the kind of forward that he doesn't match up well with.

daedalus and KevinJRogers repped this.
  19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I’ve often wondered if out wide is his best position.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I had exactly he same reaction about Saka’s play in the middle of the field, I was disappointed when Smith-Rowe coming on for Martinelli moved him out wide again. I wanted to see more of Saka through the middle.

Tavares also had an impact when he came on as a wing back. If they have the healthy bodies to play with three at the back against Newcastle (Xhaka is probably to have to play CB one way or another) I’d like to see Tavares as the wing back on the left and (I’m sorry, I know he’s had some decent games) but I’ve seen enough of Cedric. Play Saka as the right wing back.

Tonerl repped this.
  21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I agree, Cedric didn’t provide much support, so Holding ended up on an island against Son. That was never going to work. Arteta should have either played three at the back, or switched his fullbacks.

yossarian, daedalus and KevinJRogers repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND we pretty clearly have broken the superstition of your hiking and Arsenal getting a result. You're officially free to watch as many future games as you like. ;)

GunnerJacket repped this.
  23. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you start messing around shifting individual players to face off against other individual players for individual games you're sending a clear message of "you're not good enough to do this or that in this particular situation".

In this day and age, these players are too fragile for that sort of treatment. Years ago, sure, anything for the team. But in 2022, these kids aren't tough enough to be told they won't be good enough today.

Plus, I don't think Arteta is old enough to know how to deliver that kind of message. The older managers maybe can get away with that sort of thing.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I picked out 3 player concerns ahead of this match and Holding was one. I thought with his relatively slow speed he might get done by Son or any of their forwards frankly. Sad thing is, he didn't really get done much. But he allowed his emotional intensity get the better of him, and brought the ejection and suspension upon himself, with a slight assist from Mr. Paul Tierney.

25. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cedric is clearly "not good enough to do this or that in this particular situation".

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.