Spurs vs. Newcastle, PL, Feb. 2, 7:30 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs host a Newcastle side who will be brimming with confidence following their inspired upset of Manchester City on Tuesday. Rafa Benitez always sets up his sides to be difficult to beat, so we are going to need a much-improved performance than what we saw vs. Watford on Wednesday. Our defence will have to be sharp, as the Venezuelan striker Salomon Rondon is in form and will look to bully Davinson Sanchez like he did last year with West Brom. It is no secret that the opposition has been targeting him as the weak link in our defence and his lack of strength in the challenge has cost us the opening goal in the last 2 games. After a decent first season at the club, the Colombian has been inconsistent in his sophomore year. Also, Hugo Lloris's erratic performances are starting to be a concern and the France captain will have to up his level for us to maintain our top 4 status.

Hopefully Llorente's late winner will lift his confidence and he will benefit from better service from the flanks as our crossing and set piece delivery was mediocre against the Hornets. Son and Moura were lively and give us pace to concern the opposing defence, while Harry Winks continues to impress in midfield. A good start is crucial, as we have conceded sloppy first goals in the first half of our last 5 games.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Agree with you on Sanchez. I would rather play Foyth at this point.

3. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i personally never liked sanchez, thought he's always prone to errors and inconsistency and really hated when he played instead of "not-fully-recovered" toby

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I am not down on Sanchez, at 22 he is still learning his trade. When he plays for Colombia he is solid, but in international football you rarely come across centre-forwards like Mitrovic, Deeney and Rondon who can bully defenders, he just has to learn to adapt to the physicality of the PL.

5. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Sanchez is fine, he has his moments but so does everyone going through a steep learning curve. His ceiling is very, very high, perseverance is key as is keeping a pair of wise heads either side of him - the back 3 works on paper, think we'll stick with it today.

Which 2 start in centre midfield is key for me. Winks has been fantastic but I don't see him as a holding mid in the long term, he's a ball player rather than winner; given a fit squad it would always be Dier or Wanyama alongside Winks or Sissoko.

Btw, infinite credit to Sissoko that it no longer sounds ridiculous to be talking about him in terms of a starting place in a team at the higher echelons of the Premier League.

Lloris
    Toby - Sanchez - Jan
    Trippier ------ Winks - Dier ------ Rose
    Eriksen
    Son - Llorente

Gazzaniga, Foyth, Aurier, Sissoko, Wanyama, Lucas, Lamela
    That would be my choice anyway. The other option is Lucas for a CB and go back to 4-2-3-1.

6. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well I got that wrong.

Lloris

Trippier Sanchez Alderweireld Vertonghen
    Winks
    Sissoko -- Eriksen
    Lamela ---- Son ---- Lucas

Gazza, Rose, KWP, Llorente, Dier, Foyth, Wanyama​

7. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    0 0 at half time. Newcastle fairly obviously playing for the point, we've had the vast majority of possession and a few chances. Lucas headed wide from close range and Lamela hit the post.

Vertonghen getting forward to good effect and putting in cross after cross. The kind that Llorente thrives on...

8. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I love Son Heung Min!!!

9. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Almost there...

There!

2nd. Liverpool, we're coming for you.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'll take that.

11. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Gooners!...(gag)

12. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Unrelated; I’d never heard Son talk before. Interesting how his English has a slight Germanic hint about it. Understandable too given how long and how early in his career he was in Germany.

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It always felt like a goal was coming, but it would be less stressful for me if we could just blow someone out once in a while.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It was the kind of game I was expecting, Rafa could take 11 people from the car-park and make them difficult to break down. It was one of those games where you half expected them to nick a goal on a smash and grab, but thanks to the woodwork and a brilliant save from Lloris, we were able to keep the clean sheet that paved the way for Son's late winner.