Spurs vs Arsenal (EPL) 12 July 2020

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jul 9, 2020.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He's been a poor defender for a long time, which is why we should sell him overpriced ASAP

Shen-O repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Silent Stan doesn't do enough to put together a squad to finish above S***s next season I'm all for nuking his precious f*****g SoFi Stadium. Pretentious t***.

3. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Arteta waited too long to make subs. He looked like he was waiting for someone to score a goal to decide whether he would go with attacking or defensive subs. But his squad was gassed, they got loose with possession, the match opened up, and his poor back line was exposed by spur's counter-attack.

I assume he chooses Kolasinac, Luiz and Mustafi because he likes what they do on the ball. It will be interesting (terrifying?) to see what he does against Liverpool and City.

Shen-O repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. During project restart and the new rules, I've seen a bit of a theme in his late substitutions and I think it's hurt us a few times. Hard to prove I guess.

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    One of the stats bomb analysts had an article a few weeks ago that Arsenal have midtable data

The league position pretty much is in agreement with that

We suck

Shen-O and Super Llama repped this.
  6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting takes here. I'll take a contrarian one --- Bellerin in the last two matches as started to show glimpses of his old self, which would make sense. He's nearly 18 months out now from his injury and despite this 1 year bullshit that gets thrown around, most orthos and PTs will tell you it's really 18 months before a top athlete really starts feeling like themselves.

Resources should be focused on CMs and maybe another CB, not outside backs. Today was a perfect example of Xhaka's ceiling. He wasn't bad but just too limited, and yet we have to have him in there because right now we're worse if we don't. That's a problem. Get Ceballos some proper help. Yes, at this point, I think paying for Ceballos is good money compared to what we'd have to pay to replace him starting from scratch.

Shen-O, daedalus, GunnerJacket and 2 others repped this.
  7. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My humble opinion, we need reinforcements. No question.

At the same time you can't just say "I know we can do better at the back" over and over and not make changes. Do we have to go full clown-show at the back? Put Kolasinac in that role and expect shit to happen. He's been poor there for a few games now. Tierney is a better option in that role and put Saka or even Reese at wing back. And is Holding that bad that he can't break into this shower-of-shit back line?

Also, the data shows we're not creating enough chances. Set piece defending is also a mess. We're not going to magically win games consistently with that poor of a production even if we fix the defensive problems.

It's early days yet but our young manager has to show he can address some of these problems. Else, just buying new players will not have us return to real competitive places.

Shen-O, daedalus and yossarian repped this.
  8. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree with your take on the midfield. I see it the same way. I wonder why Lucas can't be given a chance there, although maybe going forward he may not be as dynamic.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Torreira is more
    Mobile than xhaka but a worse passer

we need dynamic players who have the right skill set and build

Shen-O and yossarian repped this.
  10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the year was nineteen-dickety-two. we had to say "dickety" because the kaiser had stolen our word "twenty".

ArsenalMetro and bandwagongooner repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So I see twitter is awash with tweets about Arsenal's lack of penetration without Ozil.

Whether or not you want him back, clearly something needs to be done about this.

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I would go with the 8-1-1 formation against Liverpool and hope we only lose by 3 or 4 goals.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Given this Swiss Ramble analysis it looks like Arse is in huge trouble

Maybe the only upside is other teams will also be in huge trouble.

Only those that have private funding (e.g. City and perhaps Chelsea) or big revenue advantages (Liverpool/Utd) will be OK. I think there will have to be a massive wage and transfer fee reset.

Shen-O repped this.
  14. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Joe Willock! He's great... in practice.

Shen-O and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Since it would be really expensive to develop a time machine that can bring back the Ozil from 3-4 years ago that was good, Arsenal should move on from him and try to find a new, younger player that can be the next Ozil.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rather than get mired in depressing negativity, I'm looking forward. :rolleyes:

Yes I know our next 2 opponents are light-years better than we are. But that's what's put in front of us.

I'm sorry that the results streak had to end, but at least we get some new blood to start the Weds thread.

But what I was wondering about more was the match after that: Sat's FA Cup Semi at 2:45pm.

I know it'll be streamed on Espn+ but I heard a rumor that it'd be on Espn/2 TV also, so I then looked up various guides and I didn't see it on either channel. Anyone happen to know??

Edit: I now realize my question might be better suited to the ESPN thread so I may ask it there.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So given the league position and schedule, and now with the Europa League qualification places clarified via the Citeh ruling, does Arsenal go all in on the Cup tourney and use the Prem matches to experiment with youth and lineups? Do you still try to push hard on both fronts?

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As if we have a chance of beating City, United/Chelsea? You're really dreamin big now mate!

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't expect Arsenal to beat anyone currently the top half of the Prem, though the way Chelsea is playing ATM...

I just wonder how they play out the remaining games. Write 'em all off and rest key players? Do Auba and others want the clubhouse to try to seriously win out? Do you play Ozil now either to market him or justify why he's been benched?

I dunno, just curious.

I would, at the least, ask that our options at defense be explored from here out. With Europa League now unlikely just give the younger guys a chance.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just try and win every game but I would drop some of the players that we won’t be using next year

daedalus, GunnerJacket and chjoak repped this.
  21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tank tank tank

22. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    unlike north american pro sports, there is zero benefits to tanking.

23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #148 Shen-O, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    We aren't good/deep enough for multiple fronts. You monsters really want us in Europa again?

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yes.

1) we need the money. desperately. being on CL payroll on europa money was already hard - and, if we are lucky enough to re-up aubameyang, it is going a bit - and would be harder on no europe. and, since sanllehi has to gargle around joorabchian's nutsack, we might well end up with coutinho on payroll as well.

2) we want to give arteta a chance to sign players who would complement whatever system he eventually wants to end up on and no european play at ALL would make that harder.

3) while we are, in general, shit (by arsenal-past standards), it isn't really necessarily for lack of bodies. we have enough bodies to compete on all 3 fronts - we lack the bodies to take us (back) to the next tier of it. and i can see arteta having more common sense than wenger to rotate players more. or hope.

4) martinelli, nketia, willock, saka, and saliba, if they are to develop, will develop better competing in meaningful games.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5) Aubameyang will almost certainly not sign a new contract unless we're in Europe.