Spurs v Brentford - League Cup Semifinal - 5 Jan

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hojbjerg didn't want to come out. :cool: Good games and from Ndombele and Sissoko. I thought Pook's prediction would come true, but here we are in a cup final.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    10 years ago I’d have been chuffed to make the League Cup Final.

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Who do we want in the final? It will be in April btw. Right now City look scary after their demolition of Chelsea, but Ole Gunnar has to be the luckiest manager in football and they always get one pen per game - by April he'll either be in first or sacked...

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On pure talent, City have probably the best team in Europe. Maybe Liverpool, RM, Juve, or BMunich are there, too, but that is it. But they are inconsistent. If they had the consistency, they'd be leading the league by 9 points, at least.

Man U are a significant drop off in talent, and I think Ole has been a bit lucky. The big thing for Man U is if Pogba shows up to play. When he is on, they are nearly unbeatable. But that is so rare since his transfer from Juve.

So, in short, I'd rather Spurs play Manchester Red.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'll be pulling for United today. The final's so far off it doesn't really matter, but of the two, it's much easier to envision United as being off form, or 'there for the taking', come the time. Plus, while I'm less inclined than most to put every bloody football match down to managerial contests, I do have an easier time seeing Mourinho gaining a significant tactical advantage over Ole than over Pep. In all honesty, though, once their semi is over, I'm not likely to give it any more thought until April.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    With Mourinho in charge, here is our record against both Manchester clubs:

vs United: played 3, won 1, drawn 1, lost 1, scored 8, conceded 4
    vs City: played 2, won 2, scored 4, conceded 0.

I would prefer United, but Fernandes is the key for them; they have been wasteful and woeful in the transfer market, but they nailed it when they got the Portuguese.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I was impressed with how Brentford played, they were actually a tougher proposition than Leeds. I thought the way they play out from the back would hand us chances, but they kept the ball really well and you can see why they dispatched some of the weaker PL sides in their run. In fact, they really should have earned automatic promotion, but choked in their final 2 games against Stoke and Barnsley, when 2 wins would have seen them clinch 2nd and automatic promotion.

8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So it's City. Agree with others I'd have rather faced united, but heck it's a final, anything can happen. Just ask Wigan.

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    A lot depends on who is injured at that point in the season.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The final will be Sunday April 25 at 11 am ET, which means our April 24 fixture away to Fulham will have to be rearranged.

11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I like this photo from the last time we won a cup.
    [​IMG]

Phillyspur repped this.
  12. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This would also work
    upload_2021-1-9_15-57-16.jpeg

13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On another site, my username was 'Woody's Faceball' for a while.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Woodgate was such a good footballer - remember, Real Madrid had signed him from Boro back in the day - but like Ledley, injuries hampered his career. When they were healthy, we had a world-class CB partnership in him and Ledley King.

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You're not wrong - but that wasn't too often. I wonder how many games had both of them starting.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Couldn't have been that many, I think Juande Ramos had them wrapped up in cotton wool before wheeling them out for the final...

17. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Phillyspur repped this.
  18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    29 is more than I would've thought. I'd've guessed more like 15-20. As to the goal tallies ... hell, just blame the fullbacks. Jan and Toby had Walker and Rose. Ledley and Woody had Chimbonda and Hutton.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And we didn't exactly have a powerhouse midfield in those days.

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We didn't have a proper d-mid sitting in front of the back four until Harry signed Palacios.