Spurs @ Sporting CP - CL - 13 Sept

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Sep 13, 2022.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Spurs are back in action in the Champions League today in Lisbon. Sporting hammered Eintracht Frankfurt away in matchday 1, but aren't off to a great start in the Portuguese League, sitting 7th early on. The Frankfurt game has been their only solid performance yet this year, according to one of theirs on SC.

I've read somewhere that Lucas is the only first team player unavailable through injury, but cannot vouch for its veracity. Likewise, someone on SC said that we are 0-1-6 in our last seven away games in Europe. Not highly relevant, I'd think, but somewhat disconcerting. Former Spurs youngster Marcus Edwards is at Sporting now, and doing well early in his tenure there, as I understand it, so that'll be interesting to see.

It's an early kickoff (12:45 eastern) and I will be working, so this will be my last comment until post-match. But I'm going to be uncommonly optimistic and say 3-0 Spurs.

COYS

2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Road game early in the group, with a win under our belts? I predict conservative play, letting them have plenty of the ball. I read somewhere that their Frankfurt goals were counter attacks, so maybe that would be a good plan. Edwards will have a point to prove. I'd be happy to come home with a point.

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here are the teams!

Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris, Romero, Dier, Davies, Emerson, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Perisic, Richarlison, Son, Kane.
    Subs: Doherty, Skipp, Sanchez, Gil Salvatierra, Sessegnon, Forster, Kulusevski, Spence, Tanganga, Bissouma, White, Lenglet.

Sporting: Adan, Inacio, Coates, Matheus Reis, Porro, Morita, Ugarte, Nuno Santos, Trincao, Edwards, Goncalves.
    Subs: Alexandropoulos, Israel, Rochinha, Issahaku, Paulinho, Andre Paulo, Arthur Gomes, Ricardo Esgaio, Marsa, Nazinho.

Referee: Srdjan Jovanovic (Serbia).

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Yes, but we were almost always playing our scrubs in those games so not surprising.

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    First chance to Sporting, Goncalves on the break forces Lloris to tip wide.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Funny game, both teams like to play on the counter so they both look like they don't know what to do when they have the ball.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Porto break again but Trincao fires wide from just outside the area.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    5 minutes to go in the half, so far pretty drab from both sides.

9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Richarlisson rounds the keeper and scores, but he was way offside.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    In the last minute of the half, Marcus Edwards blows through our entire midfield, plays a one-two with Trincao only to see Lloris claw away his attempt for a corner - that would have been a goal for the ages by our ex-player.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    HT 0-0. I think I've said this before - we haven't been great.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Second half underway.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Royal misses a big chance! Kane alertly plays a quick free kick behind the defense and Royal sees his shot saved by the keeper.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We have made a decent start to the second half.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Richie with a good ball out left to Kane, who sees his shot saved by the keeper. Much better from Spurs.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Richie bursts into the area, chops back to his left foot, but curls his shot wide.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Betancur booked.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And now Marita booked for them.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Another quick break by Sporting, Edwards frees Goncalves but his shot is easily smothered by Lloris.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    All of a sudden, we are on the back foot. Still no sign of any changes from Conte.

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Perisic, who has had a poor game, finally plays a good ball across the face of goal, but out of the reach of a stretching Kane.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Kulusevski on for Son, who was dismal again.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Bentancur and Hjobjerg look leggy and are starting to get bypassed by their midfield.

24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Dreadful play from Royal. All alone on the right, he plays an aimless cross into the keeper's arms.

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Reis booked for hauling down Kulu.