Spurs Silly Season Two-This thread is pants and smells of wee

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
  2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I also thought Davenport looked great for the England U-21's, and it's clear the kid is still developing both physically and in his game. I'd hate to lose him, because his instincts, marking, positional aptitude and awareness really do have the makings of a quite good backliner.

Garner has more speed, and is physically stronger at present, but IMHO he lacks the intangibles I see in Davenport. Whereas Gardner seems to always have a mental lapse from time to time, I think Davenport will become one of those players that are always in the right position requiring strikers to have a moment of brilliance to score against him. I think I rate Davenport higher than most on this board, but I would hate to see him become the next in a long line of players that blossom after leaving Spurs.

-Digital

3. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Yeah i think Davenport will turn out to be a good defender but he will have a long wait with King and Dawson being young.
    I think people saw him for Southampton last season and judged him but that was a tough move for anyone, they were by far the worse defence i saw at the Lane last season. I think he will gain confidence from having Ledley next to him.

4. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    I don't disagree with you Digital. I think you see more potential in him than I do but I think that in time he will be become more than just adequate cover for Ledley and Dawson, he will become good cover and a reliable performer.

I agree absolutely with the Gardner point. Frankly, the thing that saves him is his speed. He's done well this season but I always feel he's about to screw up. I like the guy a lot but not enough to trust him in big games regularly.

5. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    You hit the nail on the head Pidge. I think all of us worry when we see Gardner on the teamsheet (apart from Stu).

I don't worry as much as I did when I saw Atouba's name, but I do worry. We need a quality centre back, like Kevin Hofland of the Netherlands.

When we qualify for Europe, we will need an experienced centreback. We cannot hope that Davenport, Huddlestone and Gardner gain the experience needed in just one season.

6. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    I tell you who has deeply impressed me? Mounir el Hamdaoui. It is the year of the sandwich!

He will become a super player for us as long as he carries on his development.

With Monsieur Comolli at the helm, we can expect to see many more young promising players in the dutchmac mold.

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Ziegler will be moved on at some point in the next year.

Good all-rounder but where does he break into the team? Not got the pace or flair to be a wide midfielder, too lightweight to be a Davids tucking infield. I had hoped he could be a top left back, but apparently he really struggled there for the reserves and in preseason, so either he does not want to play there or has no aptitude for it.

I expect him to be replaced by a Comolli signing.

8. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    Comolli will be bringing in at least 5 young rough gems per season, of which out of three seasons, one may appear to be top-draw.

He was the instrumental in bringing all of Arsenal's top top youngsters in.

Future is bright with Damien guys.

9. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Think Gardner will be a good squad player and 4th or 5th choice CB. Happy with that really. Hofland is a good defender and speaking of Dutch defenders, what the hell happened to Heitinga (sp?). A couple of years back he was the next big thing and he seems to have gone flat all of a sudden.

Anyways, it is a shame about Zeigler. Jol is building a side that uses pace and Super Reto just doesn't have much bless his little heart. I would love for him to stay at Spurs because he has so much effing potential and is already a good player but as sendo said - where would he play? Try and make him a good LB and cover for Lee? Neither of those seems likely, especially the idea that he'll be happy to play back up. He'll go next year most likely.

Sandwich scored a quality goal for the reserves this week. A thing of real beauty apparently. Mido has been saying he wants to stay here for at least 6 or 7 years and maybe Sandwich will be the one challenging for his place if he does stay.

I am so chuffed about Comolli. If he gets us a Clichy or two every few years it will be well worth the investment.

Anyways, only a matter of weeks until the January thread. I wonder who we'll go after. One thing I think we can all agree on is that we have a worrying lack of depth in midfield. Hopefully it's a LB and CB in the new year.

10. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Comolli seems to know his football which is good, i saw him interviewed yesterday and i think he could be a great appointment :D

11. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Reports are that us and Newcastle (no surprise their) are interested in Wayne Bridge.

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ham Sandwich and Jackson are joining Derby on 3 month loans.

13. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Good move for Ham, Jackson will be seeking a permanent move somewhere.

14. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I really cant see us letting Ziegler leave, Davids is only likely going to be with us a maximum 2 years and by the time he leaves Reto will be around 22. I think he will benefit from playing in a strong league like the Bundesliga. He came off the bench in the UEFA Cup last night in a 1-1 draw at home to Copenhagen so that will be a tough 2nd leg, hopefully they get through and Reto can play more in europe.

15. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Hmmm I'm sorry , I forgot to include his name when I replied to this earlier .

It's Bouhlarouz . :)

16. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Heitinga kind of went downhill after EC2004 . I blame all the praise he got at a very young age . He's 21 years old now and has had some injuries . He still has a lot to do if he wants to get back to the same level of play he had a couple of years ago .

17. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    He got sent off in Euro 2004 if i remember right. He is also struggling to get into the Ajax team at the moment.

18. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Thanks for that. Injuries can affect some players so badly compared to others. Like Davies for us. He's been just as crap at Everton this year as he was after his injuries here. It's a shame as he had real quality before that.

Ah well, I hope Heitinga gets back to form as he was very good.

19. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am delighted we did not pay all that money for Diego. He has been nothing special at Porto and looks far too lightweight, complaining in midweek about Rangers being too physical.

20. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He wouldn't of suited the premiership with that style, we've got a very good squad here now and i'm really pleased.

21. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    The ITV Scotland commentators couldn't stop raving about how brilliant he was on tuesday! I personally didn't see anything special in his performance, nothing that made him stand out from the crowd anyway.

22. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    In the papers today (Sunday) Pedro Mendes wants out.

Not really surprised.

Porto are linked with him.

23. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    He's wasted here to be honest. I'm a great fan of his but he'll never get in front of Carrick in the team. It'll be a shame for such a natural holding midfielder to go in case Carrick does get injured but Davids, Tainio and Jenas can all fit in there.

Wherever he goes I'll wish him the best! I'd like to see him play against Grimsby and put in a great performance as a goodbye.

24. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Agree 100%. He oozes class and deserves a regular place but he won't get it with us. It was only a matter of time really. Never lets us down when he plays imo.

25. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mendes is not cut out for the top level of the Premiership. technically a class and capable player, but just a bit slow and ineffective. Hopefully the club can get a good deal for him from a Portugese or Spanish club.