Spurs Release Defensive Titan!!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by jumhed, Oct 25, 2004.

1. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Make that OJ Mabizela. He's left by mutual consent. I have to say I'm surprised, i thought he would become quite good. Eveidently the coaches have had a good look at the players on the training ground and decided he's worse than Bunje, Tano and Gardner. Fair enough.

Off to West Ham with you I say!

2. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    His goal against Leicester was memorable, great strike.

With Edman out we miss Taricco. He was so consistent last year, one of our better players. He did play in the reserves tonight against Portsmouth, we won 2-0 goals from Barnard & Dilevski. Barnard has now scored 8 goals in his last 6 games for the reserves. Call him up Jacques :)

3. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Yeah I saw that about Barnard THFC1 - was mightily impressed.

I was also surprised that Mabizela was released. From what I've seen he's looked fairly solid - I trust him more than Gardner and Atouba combined!

4. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    Suprised more of the Mabizela fans aren't complaining.

On other spurs sites Mabizela is treated like a god so I guess this will come as a shock. Who will these guys think should be starting now, Defendi???

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Man, here I thought on old thread on Dean Richards had been bumped. :)

6. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Could it of just been cultural or homesick problems rather than his play on the pitch?

Question: Why release him from his contract? Instead keep him around a few more weeks and sell him in the winter market to a lower division club, South African club, etc? What part of the economics am I missing? Are Spurs actually saving money by just releasing him right now with no future obligations...?

Malk.

7. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    It takes his wages of the bill now. We would not have got hardly anything for him anyway

8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    With Blackburn's state of affairs at the moment, I'd gladly take him. He couldn't make anything worse.

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scored a blinder on his debut, one of the finest debut strikes I've seen, especially from a defender. However his best chances of making an impression were in that season and Pleat didn't play him.

Now the competition is too strong at def-mid, right back and centre back, the 3 places he can fit in. I also heard in the past 6 months there were problems in terms of his committment and professionalism, he lost the captaincy of South Africa for turning up late to training and apparently he has been lax here as well. Best to get rid of him now, gives him a better chance of finding another club as a free agent and saves the club the time and money of having to look after him.