Spurs in Europe '07-'08 (quarterfinals will not suffice)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Aug 30, 2007.

1. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Getafe (H) Thursday October 25

Hapoel (A) Thursday November 8

Aalborg (H) Thursday November 29

Anderlecht (A)
    either Wednesday December 5 or Thursday December 6

We should be scouting Ustari from Getafe in the first game.

2. capn america

capn america New Member

May 14, 2007
    Any chance we make a bid for him in January?

3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Happy to avoid Bayern and Villareal - without them we should be aiming to win this group, and so get the easier draw in the first knockout round.

Happy memories of the Anderlecht 'Tony Parks' final in '84.

Unlucky pookspur, you'll have to be diverted to Israel to get in your european game. :(

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yup. somehow, i just figured i wouldn't get lucky twice in a row (last year spurs were drawn at home after i'd already bought my [airline] ticket). oh well. so i'll do spurs v wigan on saturday and take a train down to portsmouth for pompey/man city on sunday afternoon. although now that i think about it, they may very well move the wigan match to sunday, since we'll be playing on the preceding thursday. that, then, would leave me a full slate of saturday matches all over england to choose from. i believe i'll go have a look at the league schedules now ...

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Especially since Laudrup isn't keen on him at all.

Good draw. Would've liked a Greek team, but whatever.

6. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I think we got a very favorable draw. We should win both at home... the away fixtures tricky as always. Was it Hapoel who had a decent run in Europe recently? Anderlecht is the last game at least... we handled Brugge easily so hopefully we'll do the same.

Bolton got stuck with Bayern... and may not be good enough for even 3rd. Aberdeen certainly got a group of death.

7. greatbluekingly

greatbluekingly New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Indy
    Agreed. We missed all the apparent landmines. Anderlecht is always a tough match, though. Hapoel got to the quaters in 2001 but lost to AC Milan on agg so they aren't to be taken lightly. They did beat Chelsea that year.:D

8. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Hapoel is a very tough side. And playing in Israel is very difficult, both for club and country. Israel's NT went undefeated at the Ramat-Gan for a long ass time, until Croatia and Eduardo da ******** came and beat us. I'm not a Tel-Aviv fan though so I still want Spurs to win that match. Tough one, though.

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just heard today that the Getafe game Thursday is live on FSC, for us in the States. Nice! Didn't know they had the rights to the group stages.

Getafe play in La Liga tomorrow, so they have an extra day's rest over us. They are doing even worse than we are, 2 points from 7 games.

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    effin' sweet.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ok, then. getafe beat anderlecht today to close out the group stage in first. that means we've come second, and will face one of the champions' league group stage 3rd place finishers in the first knockout round of the UEFA Cup. our opponents will be one of the following:

marseille
    rosenborg
    werder bremen
    benfica
    rangers
    sporting
    psv
    slavia prague

gotta say, i suppose i'd prefer slavia of those eight. maybe rosenborg. they and rangers both had disappointing finishes to the CL group stages, and will, perhaps, be a little extra disappointed to be in the 'lesser' of UEFA's tournaments.

we'll know soon enough. i believe the draw is friday.

12. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Werder Bremen is a must avoid.

The two Portuguese sides are always tricky

The rest we should take care of easily.

13. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    rosenborg and slavia prague would be the best draws for us.

14. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    A Rangers tie would be pretty exciting to watch.

15. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but they looked pretty bad after Beasley got hurt. I'd like to draw either slavia prague (but I know going there for an away match is like hell) or marseille. They aren't all that and they are doing pretty crappy in they league also.

16. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Slavia Prague or Rosenborg... but neither is a great away fixture. At least we played Slavia last time out so we know what to expect.

Marseille looked like crap in that last game... but they looked great when they beat Lpool at Anfield... can't say I'd want to play them, they're too unpredictable.

Rangers might not be a bad option... it would make a great matchup... I think we could take them and the travel isn't too bad. I was just watching the old highlights of Spurs v Rangers from the Cup Winners Cup the other night (an omen? :) )

17. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rangers would be good. They are a decent side and would be up for putting one over a Prem side, but this is the sort of game that would get a good amount of coverage.

18. greatbluekingly

Oct 2, 2007
    Indy
    Agreed. The less we see of Bremen the better.

19. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Amazing how varied the quality of that group is. Could be easy or very hard. I don't want another trip to Portugal. How do Bremen look these days without Klose?

20. greatbluekingly

Oct 2, 2007
    Indy
    They are number two in the Bundesliga, tied on points with Bayern. Frings is out at the moment but Diego is in dangerous form.

21. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bremen are superb. Don't let their problems in CL fool you as they have dealt with injuries that would make us seem healthy.

Klose is a distant memory as they have found a competent pairing in Hugo Almeida and Sanogo w/ Rosenborg as backup up top. Sanogo, especially could give our CB's an issue.

Strenghts:
    1) Diego of course. He is a master at controlling tempo and the attack usually flows through him. However Jansen has really blossomed with the injury to Frings and while typically the holder for Diego is dangerous springing the attack.
    2) Strong on the counter

Weaknesses:
    1) the wings as Fritz and Panansen are not very good. Per Mertesacker and Naldo can compensate to a certain extent, but this is one of the big reasons they bleed goals.
    2) they can not afford an injury to their #1 as their #2 is crap.

22. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I concur except for the Fritz being crap part.

23. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We've been drawn against Slavia Prague who we played last year in the first round, 2nd leg at WHL.

24. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Anderlecht/Bordeaux v Aberdeen/Bayern Munich

Rangers/Panathinaikos v Werder Bremen/Braga

Bolton/Atletico Madrid v Sporting Portugal/Basel

Galatasaray/Bayer Leverkusen v Zurich/Hamburg

AEK Athens/Getafe v Benfica/Nurnberg

Rosenborg/Fiorentina v Brann/Everton

Slavia Prague/Spurs v PSV/Helsingborg

Marseille/Spartak Moscow v Zenit St. Petersburg/Villarreal

25. Lombard

Lombard Member

Jul 6, 2007
    A better draw than we had any right to expect. PSV in the round of 16 is an opponent should test us, but it is a relieving draw.

This also gives us a let-off for the awful showing home to Getafe, which very well might have torpedoed our run. Finishing second rather than first in the group usually carries with it a big punishment, in the form of a much more difficult round of 32 opponent. But we've only got a marginally more difficult one. By the Spring, we might be solid enough to beat Bremen or Sporting Lisbon home-and-home, but in February it would have been a tough task. In this season's UEFA Cup run, at least, the early season problems under Jol won't be affecting our ability to progress any longer.