Sporting News Piece with anonymous player quotes on JK

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Golazo, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    So, who was the player who asked about Lahm's book? I'm assuming it wasn't one of the German-Americans, which means that it's probably down to Bradley, Chernundolo, or maybe Donovan (I doubt he reads German although he presumably speaks some).

I'm going with Bradley.

Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Donovan was interviewed for this. For one, he's been absent from communication with just about everyone in the media. And two, I highly doubt he would comment annonymously. That's not his style.

3. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    There wasn't a whole lot in there that should be shocking. I think these players were just vocalizing some things that a lot of us were thinking in our heads, and I appreciate their honesty. That people are unsure about his tactical acumen, that he's more of a motivator, or that the German-Americans keep to themselves. I disagreed with the decision not to play Bocanegra on the road in Honduras, but I'm certainly not ready to throw in the towel on this qualifying campaign. The team camraderie in general seems good. We've got nine to go.

4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Crap article. Seems like all of these supposed sources are bs posters.

anotherbodymurdered and Borrachin repped this.
  5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not buying it... Yet...

Reminds me of Lahm's book...

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Interesting article. The only troubling aspect is the allusion to there being some sort of divide between the diaspora players on the one hand and the US bred players on the other.

Imo it's good the laundry gets aired out though. If the staff is responsive they'll make adjustments.

7. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe YOU'RE Klinsmann.

Scotty, xbhaskarx, Berks and 9 others repped this.
  8. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Some interesting points I've seen made:

There were concerns/complaints/grumblings about Bradley as well.

'Meticulous planning' found the US down 1-0 early on a relatively frequent basis.

Do we want the German-Americans on the team or do we not? If we do, we have to be ready for some of the things that come with that.

I don't really have time for the 'Bayern Munich' and 'Vasquez' conversations. Those were hashed out a long time ago. Bringing them to this article is just filler. If they were a concern, they should have been written about and dealt with awhile ago.

Statman repped this.
  9. GASoccer81

GASoccer81 Member

Jun 17, 2005
    It's not a crap article, It points out the weaknesses of Klinsman as a coach, which any one who paid attention would recognize. He is not a tactician, he's a motivator and a big picture guy, he needs an assistent like Lowe, who will sweat the details, design the tactical game plan and make adjustments when needed. Kinsman and Vasquez don't do that.

I don't understand the coaching rational of not letting your team know who the starters are untill just before the game because you want them competing for spots. You don't go into a WCQ not knowing your line up when you only have 2-3 days to get them ready. I understand wanting to change to culture and improve the style of play but that is what friendlies are for not the night before a WCQ.

I was not the biggest fan of Arena's and Bradley's tactics but at least the team knew what was expected of them and tactically how they were going to play. Telling the team to just go express themselves on the field?? I tell my U littles that the last 15 minutes of practice to just go out there and have fun. not what we should expect from a national team coach at an awat WCQ.

10. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the most alarming for me...

So basically it is safe to say some of these guys don't have the faith in their abilities to take their games to a different level. To me that sounds more like a veteran like Dolo or Boca who would say this. Which is understandable, because it is late in their careers to change their approach, but I think this just confirms the belief some of the vets should not be there, because these are going to be the guys younger members look to when heading out of the tunnel. So if the veteran doesn't buy in well that's a problem that can only be addressed by having them stay home.

I think Bocanegra is part of the problem here and we can see why he was left out. However, it is not like he merited a call anyways based on his form and playing time at his club.

UxSxAxfooty, Xenimus, jakepc42 and 4 others repped this.
  11. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I learned very little from this, it just confirmed what I already assumed. The majority of that stuff is readily apparent to anyone that has watched the NT with any frequency during JK's tenure.

JK brings some very good qualities to the program but tactics and gameday management aren't among those. Jurgen needed someone on the staff with proven tactical acumen and who wasn't afraid to speak up and override Klinsmann, Martin Vasquez wasn't that guy. I speak in past tense because JK has made his bed with Vasquez, they will either succeed or fail together.

If we don't get 3 pts this weekend JK/Vasquez will have little to no remaining credibility with the players I'm afraid, thus forcing the USSF to make a change.

If Jurgen does get axed as manager I still hope he'd remain involved in the USSF in some fashion, he does bring some very valuable things to the US program.

HartwickFan, SPA2TACU5, jakepc42 and 7 others repped this.
  12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on earth would Strauss make this stuff up?

He's gonna be black listed by the USSF for life now. Why on EARTH would he risk that with something he made up?

13. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Strauss just did the damn thang.

14. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    You know, I just realized that if the locker room situation really is this bad, if the German-Americans really do keep to themselves like this(which I can certainly believe, different groups of people tend to separate themselves into cliques), and if there really is such a divide between them and the more "native" born US players, doesn't that mean that for really the first time in recent USMNT history that whoever gets the captain's armband is going to be a big deal?

HartwickFan and wsmaugham repped this.
  15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    This is terrifying.

Beerking, Berks, HartwickFan and 3 others repped this.
  16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    My understanding is that this is a legitimate news source. And some of the most troubling quotes from that come from unnamed individuals that the article identifies as current players.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think you're right, but an article like this shows that there may be more to Donovan's hiatus than it seems.

Berks, WrmBrnr, Fanatical Monk and 6 others repped this.
  18. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one should be blacklisted
    Blacklisted for life? Please... This wasn't Strauss exposing Watergate. It's him writing a pretty fair article with legitimate criticisms, but nothing over the top other than showing some of the veterans like Boca feeling a bit entitled.

19. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah right...If that were true he would just be playing with the Gals.

20. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no players complained about Bob?

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think the USSF is going to welcome him with open arms to their future pressers? Come on man.

Look I applaud what he's done. But the USSF has been incestuous and over protective of their program since the dawn of time. They aren't going to be happy about this article at all.

22. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non sequitur

mars2112, Skevin, OWN(yewu)ED and 2 others repped this.
  23. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a massive story and in any other country would headline the equivalent of SportsCenter at a minimum. Klinnsi is destroying our national team and I agree with antOn that Landon's absence seems to make a bit more sense now. His failure to even call in Boca despite that massive injury situation on the backline is shameful. This article exposed Klinnsi for the fraud that he is.

Fire him now.

24. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Pretty damning article and frankly the sources are all stating the same things most informed observers have been saying for months. The hiring of Klinsman at the price that was paid for him will go down as one of the dumbest moves in the history of the USSF and that's saying something. The players clearly have no confidence in him as a manager or a tactician and they all indetify mass confusion as a major factor in disjointed performances.

This USA team has no style or substance to it at all, no chemestry or charecter. Its just 11 men being thrown out on a pitch 15 minutes before a game and being told "go win!!" The team has the talent to easily qualify from this region, the fact anyone is even seriously debating whether we will finsih 4th tells us something is seriously ********ed.

If, as I suspect, we lose to CR and Mexico or come away with just a point then how important are the games against Panama and Jamacia going to be. 3 years ago we would have laughed at the idea that we would be in a fight with them to even qualify or get a result. Now, assuming the worst this week those four games will decide our world cup fate in 2013.